What foods do you like but others hate?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I like all the veggies (except some types of seaweed, and lima beans (the latter OK, but not yummy)). The 'like' column includes things others frequently dislike: Asparagus, beets, bitter melon, brussels sprouts, cilantro, fennel, kale, kimchi (no fish sauce in it - I'm veg), parsnips, rutabaga, sauerkraut, turnips, winter squash . . . .

I like licorice-y stuff: Anise, fennel, licorice candy, etc.

And I love IPA . . . maybe too much.

The dislike of cilantro does seem to have some genetic basis, but it's not definitive:

http://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

Most things I dislike are because of their texture, or an iodine-y ("fishy") taste.
  • MN_22
    MN_22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit, Brussel sprouts and Lima beans
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pickled beets. My kids leave the room when I open a can!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Very ripe bananas. I mean deep yellow with a Lot of black in the peal. That is probably the thing I like that most don't.

I also love Anise, licorice, fennel etc. unfortunately it is hard to cook with this flavor as everyone in my family hates it. I drink a lot of licorice tea.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I like coconut cake and other things with coconut. My wife hates coconut, so no coconut for me.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Very ripe bananas. I mean deep yellow with a Lot of black in the peal. That is probably the thing I like that most don't.

I also love Anise, licorice, fennel etc. unfortunately it is hard to cook with this flavor as everyone in my family hates it. I drink a lot of licorice tea.

Love brownish bananas.... Make the best bread and cookies.. And are the sweetest.

Also the only kind I can eat without triggering my oral allergy syndrome.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I like coconut cake and other things with coconut. My wife hates coconut, so no coconut for me.

Aww I hope she at least makes you a coconut cake for your birthday. :flowerforyou:
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Seafood raw sushi...

Sashimi is my JAM.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts

I LOVE brussel sprouts and lima beans.... Even as a kid. I was a weird kid. :laugh:

SAME. frozen lima beans and peas are great haha
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Liver, especially calves liver, and sweetbreads. I bloody love breaded sweetbreads. Also love Brussels sprouts. Coleslaw and mayonnaise are of the devil, though.
  • curab
    curab Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avocado, Kimchi, Cilantro, Sushi, Mushrooms, Nooch, Turmeric, Quinoa, Hummus, Any vegan foods
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

I'm the same with bananas. They have to be black and falling apart before I will turn them away...the darker the better, aside from that. I feel like a good way to know which friends/family know me best is by checking out who among them brings me 2-3 "rotten" bananas when we hang out. haha If they don't fit into my eating plan for that day I freeze them and make stuff with them later.

My husband loves anise, licorice, and the like. I don't hate it but I do not share his enthusiasm.

I find that I like a LOT of the items others have named in this thread. Even pickled herring and pickled beets.

I have a lot of people in my life who HATE eggs, or at least hate eggs one certain way (boiled, over easy, etc). I love eggs any way except raw, they are one of my favorite foods. I also really like dairy milk and consider it a treat to buy a little bottle of fairlife or whatever...at work the other day we ordered takeout and I got a milk and a sandwich. My friends are either grossed out by this as they're vegan or not milk drinkers, or they seem to think it's a quirky holdover from childhood.

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Let's see... Mushrooms, Olives, Sauerkraut, Fried Cabbage, Pickled Eggs, Tempeh, Anise Pizelle, Shrimp Chips, Bleu Cheese, Dutch Loaf/Olive Loaf... These are all things that people I know have complained about disliking.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage and brussel sprouts in pretty much any form.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    licorice. Cottage cheese.The only things I really avoid are things I'm allergic to or things the doctor told me not to eat.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like Cilantro (or Coriander as we call it here lol) I could eat it by the bucketload haha

Love dipping skin on fries in a nice chocolate milkshake - first did this on a dare at Denny's and got hooked!

Coconut everything, Grapefruit, chickpeas and pulses in general.

I cannot stand cooked mushrooms (raw is fine, but I have to fancy them), tomato, beetroot, cottage cheese, "baked" eggs (like omelettes or quiches), fish or seafood in general... I'm pretty picky tbh :P
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Chicken livers.
    I don't eat them often, but I love them both fried from Chicken Express, (about the only fried food I eat, besides catfish) and also when I saute them myself in the skillet. Most people just call it catfish bait.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ooooooo, i've got one.

i love the pith - you know, that white spongy stuff - from citrus fruit. apparently taht is so weird that i kind of turn my back sometimes and don't let people see me digging it away from the peel and posting it into my mouth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    ooooooo, i've got one.

i love the pith - you know, that white spongy stuff - from citrus fruit. apparently taht is so weird that i kind of turn my back sometimes and don't let people see me digging it away from the peel and posting it into my mouth.

There's someone else, besides me! I'm not ashamed, though, or maybe just am uncouth: I'll gnaw or nibble it right off a skin section/slice-rind right in front of people. Yummy!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Steak tartare, sashimi, traditional Croat food. ;)
    mlinci wrote: »
    Liver! Love liver. And chicken hearts.
    I also love - and always have loved, even as a child - all the chewy, fatty and gristly bits of meat you can get in a stew or in a roast - I always found plain lean meat somewhat boring. My language (Croatian) has a great name for those off-cut bits of meat - žlundre. The way the word sounds, it implies something disgusting, but I always enjoyed eating them.

Oh and I'm definitely one of those people to whom cilantro tastes disgustingly soapy - my description is "rotting washing up liquid".
    Amen to that! Being Croatian, I often had the same food. Fileki was something I liked as a child but not so much now. I hated sarma as a kid but love it now.

Add ladetina to that list. Yum!!