Hair loss

Options

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I use nizoral shampoo. I didn't catch if you were male or female, but if you're mail nizoral can help with certain causes of male hairloss. (it does not apply for women, so if you're a lady please disregard).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    As another poster mentioned, there could be medical issues that need attention as well.

do this for sure. in addition to the things that were mentioned, some auto-immune disorders have this effect too. so make sure the doctor understands your visit isn't just for vanity's sake. it could be a symptom of a health problem as well.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor. Ask to be tested for anemia and thyroid disorders. Also, if you are on some medications you should ask whether hair loss is a side effect. Some hair loss can be reversed, but it will take time. It's hard to know to what extent your diet may be impacting your hair loss. My sister and I have thinning hair (I'm 57) just like my grandmother did.

Good luck! I hope you find the answers you need.

My first thought was thyroid problems too. See your doc for a thyroid panel. Also, you could try eating at maintence for a week or 2, like a diet break, and see if the hair loss decreases or stops.
  • nimh2
    nimh2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    May need an iron supplement. I had hair loss last year- very frustrating. Sorry!
  • faizawaseem1
    faizawaseem1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    nimh2 wrote: »
    May need an iron supplement. I had hair loss last year- very frustrating. Sorry!

I know right, this is frustrating...:-(
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    Go to a doctor. Ask to be tested for anemia and thyroid disorders. Also, if you are on some medications you should ask whether hair loss is a side effect. Some hair loss can be reversed, but it will take time. It's hard to know to what extent your diet may be impacting your hair loss. My sister and I have thinning hair (I'm 57) just like my grandmother did.

Good luck! I hope you find the answers you need.

My first thought was thyroid problems too. See your doc for a thyroid panel. Also, you could try eating at maintence for a week or 2, like a diet break, and see if the hair loss decreases or stops.

I am getting my tests done in a day or two and also going on break from this diet so that I can compare whether its the diet or not.
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    As another poster mentioned, there could be medical issues that need attention as well.

do this for sure. in addition to the things that were mentioned, some auto-immune disorders have this effect too. so make sure the doctor understands your visit isn't just for vanity's sake. it could be a symptom of a health problem as well.

I will visit a doctor soon...:-) I myself am very concerned about this situation hope it gets better
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    I use nizoral shampoo. I didn't catch if you were male or female, but if you're mail nizoral can help with certain causes of male hairloss. (it does not apply for women, so if you're a lady please disregard).

I am a female thanks for the advice though...:-)
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    Open your diary. How very 'clean' is your 'clean'? From the hair loss, it sounds to be free of nutrients.

I eat almost everything except for milk based products I dont understand where do I lack...:-(
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    Often it is recommended that a multivitamin be taken when going on a very low calorie diet. You can become low in Biotin, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin C, Zinc and Iron, etc. Protein minimum intake 46 grams/day.

I have started taking biotin supplement and am in maintainence phase now
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    Often it is recommended that a multivitamin be taken when going on a very low calorie diet. You can become low in Biotin, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin C, Zinc and Iron, etc. Protein minimum intake 46 grams/day.

Not sure I would call a 250-300 cal/day deficit a very low calorie diet. OP has been losing 1kg (2.2lb/mo).

Is 1kg a month too much?
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree you should see a Dr, in case there is a medical reason behind your hair loss. While also checking your macro are well balanced, especially proteins and fat. Personally I never realised how much my diet was lacking in both, until meticulus logging on MFP. My diet at the time was "clean", but not very well balanced. I was lacking certain nutrients and not eating enough calories, while trying to lose weight. I'm now eating a healthier, well balanced diet. [Still lost weight, but in a healthier way.]

Everyone is different, and I'm not qualified in any way, but I will share my story, in case it helps. (Apologise for length)

Since then, I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, which among other symptoms, also caused hair loss and extremely brittle nails. From personal experience my general health has improved, along with the health of my hair and nails, with me increasing my intake of both protein and fat. In addition (as recommend by my Doctor), I have also increased foods rich in Selenium into my diet. While also taking a daily Selenium supplement. This nutrient specifically helps healthy skin, nails and hair. A combination of more protein, fats and Selenium, taken on a daily basis has really helped the overall condition of my hair and nails.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,589 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 52kg sounds very light. If you're underweight then hairloss is absolutely possible.
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How tall are you? 52kg sounds very light. If you're underweight then hairloss is absolutely possible.

I am 5"3 and now I fall in my correct bmi too. According to which I should. Be between 50-56kgs.
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    I agree you should see a Dr, in case there is a medical reason behind your hair loss. While also checking your macro are well balanced, especially proteins and fat. Personally I never realised how much my diet was lacking in both, until meticulus logging on MFP. My diet at the time was "clean", but not very well balanced. I was lacking certain nutrients and not eating enough calories, while trying to lose weight. I'm now eating a healthier, well balanced diet. [Still lost weight, but in a healthier way.]

Everyone is different, and I'm not qualified in any way, but I will share my story, in case it helps. (Apologise for length)

Since then, I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, which among other symptoms, also caused hair loss and extremely brittle nails. From personal experience my general health has improved, along with the health of my hair and nails, with me increasing my intake of both protein and fat. In addition (as recommend by my Doctor), I have also increased foods rich in Selenium into my diet. While also taking a daily Selenium supplement. This nutrient specifically helps healthy skin, nails and hair. A combination of more protein, fats and Selenium, taken on a daily basis has really helped the overall condition of my hair and nails.

A friend recommended me biotin supplements I am on it now starting from today home my hair gets healthy again.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

A friend recommended me biotin supplements I am on it now starting from today home my hair gets healthy again.

but it could be everything from a hormonal issue (like thyroid, pituitary, estrogen levels), to nutritional deficiencies (b6, b12, iron, vitamin d, etc.). I would go to your doctor for a blood test so they can make sure what type of hair loss you are having and what you can expect to fix it.

In my experience I had telogen effluvium last year about 3 months after having pneumonia and recurring infection. Mine already came back. But if you don't fix the underlying problem, taking biotin isn't going to do jack snizz.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Biotin is a tiny vitamin in the myriad you need. I never would take individual supplements. A multi will usually contain biotin. Biotin can also cause your skin to break out (look for this side effect).
    Also, don't waste your money on shampoos for this. The skull cannot absorb nutrients.
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

but it could be everything from a hormonal issue (like thyroid, pituitary, estrogen levels), to nutritional deficiencies (b6, b12, iron, vitamin d, etc.). I would go to your doctor for a blood test so they can make sure what type of hair loss you are having and what you can expect to fix it.

In my experience I had telogen effluvium last year about 3 months after having pneumonia and recurring infection. Mine already came back. But if you don't fix the underlying problem, taking biotin isn't going to do jack snizz.

Started biotin till I get appointment with the doctor if the dr encourages ill continue this else I won't and yes these tests are on my list
  • faizawaseem1
    Options
    Biotin is a tiny vitamin in the myriad you need. I never would take individual supplements. A multi will usually contain biotin. Biotin can also cause your skin to break out (look for this side effect).
    Also, don't waste your money on shampoos for this. The skull cannot absorb nutrients.

Its only till I get an appointment with the dr. Also I am not using any such Shampoo just oiling my hair and using regular shampoos