Anyone else doing a sugar free diet?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here is a completely decadent dessert free of all refining except for the energetic use of your own blender.

http://talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/

For this dessert, calories are king.

That looks really good! Do you happen to know the carbs / slice off the top of your head? I can see the dates are going to have a fair number. I've been struggling with birthdays since becoming diabetic.

This dessert is inappropriate for a diabetic. It is far too high in natural sugars (14 g carbs) and 200 calories for a teeny slice.

For you, core an apple and fill it with walnuts cinnamon and raisins. Nuke it.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    dp
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Here is a completely decadent dessert free of all refining except for the energetic use of your own blender.

http://talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/

For this dessert, calories are king.

That looks really good! Do you happen to know the carbs / slice off the top of your head? I can see the dates are going to have a fair number. I've been struggling with birthdays since becoming diabetic.

This dessert is inappropriate for a diabetic. It is far too high in natural sugars (14 g carbs) and 200 calories for a teeny slice.

For you, core an apple and fill it with walnuts cinnamon and raisins. Nuke it.

14g is pretty good, actually - I can handle up to about 50g net carbs at a sitting without my glucose going over 140. Definitely not an everyday food, but quite possible for a once a year occasion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    dp

@OliveGirl128

That acronym can have more than one meaning.
    :blush:

• OliveGirl128
    sijomial wrote: »
    dp

@OliveGirl128

That acronym can have more than one meaning.
    :blush:

Ha! For some reason since yesterday when I'm on the desktop version most of my posts are posting 2-3 times, driving me nuts! I cleared my cookies and restarted my computer but it's still being obnoxious.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    This sounds so unhealthy to me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I can gain weight eating just under 50 grams of carbs daily with effort but I will lose it when I stop trying yet eating all of the calories it takes to make me fill stuffed daily. Anyone would reverts to name calling of others without a background that supports the name calling seems to me to be like hating on others for some unknown reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2017

Nope, I gained weight because I ate excess calories mostly from salty/savory foods, with very low sugar content. For example-I'd sit down at night with a book and proceed to eat an entire bag of chili cheese fritos, which contain less than 1g of sugar per serving. One bag contains 1,600 calories. I was doing this on top of eating 3 meals and other snacks throughout the day. My weight gain had very little to do with sugar and everything to do with me consuming too many calories. I also didn't drink alcohol when I was overweight....

There's always an exception I suppose. SIXTEEN HUNDRED calories in a 28 gram bag of corn chips? They should be feeding those things to the starving in Africa. I hope it didn't take you too long to scour the net for a food high in calories but low in sugar.

Didn't need to scour the internet, I just pulled the bag out of my pantry :p

eta: many kinds of chips and pretzels have very low sugar, or even no sugar. Those are the foods I ate too much of and that's mostly where my 50lb weight gain came from. Once I learned how CICO worked though, I was able to then move on and lose the extra weight with minimal fuss.

Hold on, hold on - how much does the bag weigh? because a 28 gram bag of anything couldn't have more than 252 calories... is that a typo and it's a 280g bag? Coz that makes more sense...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    geebusuk wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    na, the food kabal wants to kill us off by getting us addicted to sugar, which is toxic, which will kill off all their customers...
    Hmmm... maybe that's why our bodies basically run on sugar - maybe they actually genetically engineered humans to be reliant on their toxic product?

We are all just batteries anyway ....
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017

Nope, I gained weight because I ate excess calories mostly from salty/savory foods, with very low sugar content. For example-I'd sit down at night with a book and proceed to eat an entire bag of chili cheese fritos, which contain less than 1g of sugar per serving. One bag contains 1,600 calories. I was doing this on top of eating 3 meals and other snacks throughout the day. My weight gain had very little to do with sugar and everything to do with me consuming too many calories. I also didn't drink alcohol when I was overweight....

There's always an exception I suppose. SIXTEEN HUNDRED calories in a 28 gram bag of corn chips? They should be feeding those things to the starving in Africa. I hope it didn't take you too long to scour the net for a food high in calories but low in sugar.

eta: many kinds of chips and pretzels have very low sugar, or even no sugar. Those are the foods I ate too much of and that's mostly where my 50lb weight gain came from. Once I learned how CICO worked though, I was able to then move on and lose the extra weight with minimal fuss.

Hold on, hold on - how much does the bag weigh? because a 28 gram bag of anything couldn't have more than 252 calories... is that a typo and it's a 280g bag? Coz that makes more sense...

Yeah, it was a typo on pp's end-one serving is 28g/160 calories. One bag has 10 servings, so around 280g per bag/1,600 calories. Really, it's a smallish bag, so its not that big of a challenge to eat a whole bag at a time, (in the past I've done this many times with these smaller bags of chips/pretzels/Pringles cans etc). Heck, it's like 1 epic Walking Taco's worth :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member

Yeah, it was a typo on pp's end-one serving is 28g/160 calories. One bag has 10 servings, so around 280g per bag/1,600 calories. Really, it's a smallish bag, so its not that big of a challenge to eat a whole bag at a time, (in the past I've done this many times with these smaller bags of chips/pretzels/Pringles cans etc). Heck, it's like 1 epic Walking Taco's worth :D

Ah thanks, I was thinking you'd discovered the calorie TARDIS of foods.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://bmcnutr.biomedcentral.com/

"The present study used a metabolic chamber to measure the effects of consuming sugar-sweetened drinks with a meal. Sugar-sweetened drinks decreased energy expenditure and fat oxidation even when consumed with a high protein meal."

For those not into peer reviewed articles do not click on the link above or below.

https://bmcnutr.biomedcentral.com/about
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    https://bmcnutr.biomedcentral.com/

"The present study used a metabolic chamber to measure the effects of consuming sugar-sweetened drinks with a meal. Sugar-sweetened drinks decreased energy expenditure and fat oxidation even when consumed with a high protein meal."

For those not into peer reviewed articles do not click on the link above or below.

https://bmcnutr.biomedcentral.com/about

LOL. That "study" was complete and utter horsemanure. Almost entirely self-reported intake, plus only two 24 hr ward sessions? Yeah, you're gonna get some real useful info there.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Merits of that study aside, not sure what the effect of sugar-sweetened beverages has to do with the need/benefits of going sugar free and consuming "no processed food at all" (and as always, I still doubt anyone here actually avoids all processed foods, and you yourself post about consuming them, Gale).

I'd be interested in a thread on sugar-sweetened beverages particularly if you want to discuss that thread. But personally I don't consume them (don't like wasting calories on beverages and don't like most sugar sweetened beverages, in particular I dislike sweetened coffee), but don't follow a sugar free diet (I am currently eating lots of fruit, in fact) or avoid processed foods (why give up cheese?).
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I remember before gluten problems eating anything and everything. Going to the grocery store I would pick up a lunchable, a piece of pizza, or a chicken sandwich and eat it on my way home so my bf wouldn't see it and then I would eat dinner. On my way to work after already eating breakfast I would grab a egg and cheese biscuit and a large ice coffee every work day. I was eating to much of everything ... yes including sweets.