Open Diaries vs Closed Diaries

Options

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only found out that mine was closed like 2 days ago haha I've since opened it to friends.
    I think it'll be good once I start to struggle so that like minded people can have a nose :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I really don't think people randomly creep diaries and comment but if you're gonna post a "not losing on 1200" I'm not even gonna reply unless your diary is open haha

If you post on the forums you're opening yourself up to commentary/abuse whether seeking help or not. Or at least that was my experience - I had to close mine because of it which I thought was a shame.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I leave mine open. Mostly to share days like this with other folks and show that you don't have to eat "clean" or suffer to maintain a healthy weight, improve fitness, and be healthy. I know some folks have received unsolicited advice or criticism, or have issues with guilt and would lie if others could see it, so I don't judge if others feel like they need to keep it private.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/The_Enginerd?date=2017-01-15
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends, so that I have some control over who views and comments on it. Just about all of them are either people I know IRL, or are other MFP members with similar goals and activities as me.

(I might as well leave it open though, I'll add just about anyone who sends me a request.)
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, it's not perfect. Sometimes I look at others to see if they have any greatness I'm missing so I should open mine if I'm gonna look at theirs... and any judgy people should really get a life!!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I really don't think people randomly creep diaries and comment but if you're gonna post a "not losing on 1200" I'm not even gonna reply unless your diary is open haha

If you post on the forums you're opening yourself up to commentary/abuse whether seeking help or not. Or at least that was my experience - I had to close mine because of it which I thought was a shame.

Mine is open and my 4K yolo days are there for everyone to see if they so choose. I really couldn't care less if someone comments on my eating... to clean, too dirty, too whatever... I have changed my macros so many times in n=1 experiments I'm personally not affected by other's opinions on what I eat or what I track but if I was ever to post a problem with respect to weight loss or gain I would not think about asking advice without at least giving the full picture; which is my diary.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For what it's worth no one has ever given me unsolicited advice on my diet (from here anyway lol)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth no one has ever given me unsolicited advice on my diet (from here anyway lol)

Same here... I am still shocked people actually do that.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. Comment, dont comment, I dont care. I am going to do what I want anyway. I don't think my friends look at it anyway.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Mine was open for the first few months. I felt it held me accountable.

Then I had a very stressful period with a car wreck and work stuff, and found myself embarrassed to log the food I was stress-eating. So I just wouldn't log it.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that this was helping nobody, so I locked my diary and went back to honest logging. Right now it's still locked but a couple people have the key so they can copy recipes I've logged.

I might open it back up at some point, but locked is still good for me for now.

EDIT: Actually, I've been pretty consistent with logging for a while now, maybe I'll test the waters. Opening my diary now.

How dare you eat that and THAT!! :laugh:

FTR- I didn't even look... I'm on the app and can't be bothered. Which is why it surprised me that people actually do that and then actually comment.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There is a story in this for me. In 2011 I lost 50 lbs. I was doing great! Someone on one of these threads opened my diary and commented on a fluffernutter sandwich! Whatever dude I know it wasn't healthy but it was something I was doing on cheat day that was keeping me motivated. After that I really got down.... it's crazy I first tried to eat like a total health nut! Which was totally not me at the time (it is now for the most part :wink: But I then started to binge eat because for me I need a treat sometimes. Binge eating lead to lying on my diary which lead to fat which lead to starting over! Needless to say I keep mine private. It's easier to be honest and I stay more accountable. Just my own 2 cents and personal experience.... to each their own.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It just seems like basic privacy, this is the internet after all.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is a story in this for me. In 2011 I lost 50 lbs. I was doing great! Someone on one of these threads opened my diary and commented on a fluffernutter sandwich! Whatever dude I know it wasn't healthy but it was something I was doing on cheat day that was keeping me motivated. After that I really got down.... it's crazy I first tried to eat like a total health nut! Which was totally not me at the time (it is now for the most part :wink: But I then started to binge eat because for me I need a treat sometimes. Binge eating lead to lying on my diary which lead to fat which lead to starting over! Needless to say I keep mine private. It's easier to be honest and I stay more accountable. Just my own 2 cents and personal experience.... to each their own.

I would have told that person to go eff themselves and kept on doing me. No need to justify your food. No one is buying my groceries so they can stuff it. :laugh:

Totally this!! I'm on my own track and will make my own decisions. Those who cross the line might get a warning shot if I really like them. Other than that, they gotta go. :D