The honest truth!!

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We know what to do because we learned it in order to lose weight. We are still learning. That's why we are on here.
    Losing weight is harder than maintaining weight and many of us have to work on breaking life long habits.
    If someone was raised to eat unhealthily its going to take a lot of will power to unlearn these behaviours.
    You make weight loss sound like its a walk in the park and we are just too lazy to bother.
    We are all here actively working towards weight loss. We may stumble along the way but none of us would be on this forum if we were not taking this seriously.

There's lots of people who are really good at losing weight and they do it over, and over, and over again. It's maintenance where most people fail. I've lost the extra weight one time and it was a fairly easy process, over a handful of months. Now several years into maintenance, I find it way more challenging than the weight loss phase ever was.

Or did you mean maintaining a bigger weight/being overweight is easier than trying to lose weight? I may have read what you posted in the wrong way!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Aldi now carries an amazing mix of raw cashews, walnuts and macadamia nuts-it's killing my calorie intake :o

Mmm, that sounds delicious. Whenever I get nuts or dried fruit I measure out single serving portions in advance (I'm a bit of a reusable container fiend), and only bring one to work a day. Nuts are just too easy to go nuts with.

I very stupidly combined the nut mix with dried blueberries and it's pure bliss-and over 500 calories :p
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    There's lots of people who are really good at losing weight and they do it over, and over, and over again. It's maintenance where most people fail. I've lost the extra weight one time and it was a fairly easy process, over a handful of months. Now several years into maintenance, I find it way more challenging than the weight loss phase ever was.

Or did you mean maintaining a bigger weight/being overweight is easier than trying to lose weight? I may have read what you posted in the wrong way!

I think when they say maintaining they are talking about people who never become overweight in the first place? Because otherwise I'm with you - I think a lot of why so many people struggle with weight is the diet industry pushing "easy" and "quick" fixes that work in the short term but are very difficult to maintain long term. I've watched my mom and sister yo-yo all their lives and swore that I'd never go on "a diet." And I haven't yet!
  • Jennifer2332
    Jennifer2332 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see that as I am experiencing that myself!
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We know what to do because we learned it in order to lose weight. We are still learning. That's why we are on here.
    Losing weight is harder than maintaining weight and many of us have to work on breaking life long habits.
    If someone was raised to eat unhealthily its going to take a lot of will power to unlearn these behaviours.
    You make weight loss sound like its a walk in the park and we are just too lazy to bother.
    We are all here actively working towards weight loss. We may stumble along the way but none of us would be on this forum if we were not taking this seriously.

No you got it right :smile:
    I just mean that both for people that have always been thin they will find it easier to maintain their weight while thin, as well as while I don't mean it will be easy for someone that has lost weight to maintain it, maintaining weight is easier than the process of losing it as you no longer need to keep yourself at deficit.
    The reason some people find it easier to lose the weight than to maintain it is because they (probably) stop putting in the effort. Thats why I followed it up by saying that we have to work on breaking life long habits.
    So I guess it depends on how you look at it :smile:
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    maximo727 wrote: »
    Have you ever noticed that us, un-fit over weight people , are the ones with plenty of knowledge about working out properly and eating healthy, but yet we're the ones struggling to slim down. What is it?? Low self esteem, no willpower, or is it that once we lose a few pounds we get comfortable and gain it all back. The sad part is that we can't blame no one but ourselves for that, cuz if I could blame someone, I would be on top of that person day and night lmao....till then, let's keep the struggle going, y'all are not alone my friends lol

A person with diabetes will definitely know more about diabetes than me. If you have celiac disease or whatever, usually you know more about it than people who don't have it. Seems totally logical to me. Reason why I don't tell people to stop smoking or whatever. They know!
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    plenty of knowledge about working out properly and eating healthy

Like doing lots & lots of cardio & avoiding processed foods & refined sugars?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have slimmed down, but I have not muscled up. Yes, I know how. Lift heavy things, eat at a surplus, be patient, persistent, careful about form etc.

This will be the first time I've said it. Money. Damned money. A beginners Gold's Gym bench kit from Wal-Mart with beginners free weights and a bar costs about as much as my car's monthly payment. I've got 2 more of those. It costs about as much as a new wedding ring. I need a new one. It costs about as much as, oh hell, I keep coming up with excuses.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have slimmed down, but I have not muscled up. Yes, I know how. Lift heavy things, eat at a surplus, be patient, persistent, careful about form etc.

This will be the first time I've said it. Money. Damned money. A beginners Gold's Gym bench kit from Wal-Mart with beginners free weights and a bar costs about as much as my car's monthly payment. I've got 2 more of those. It costs about as much as a new wedding ring. I need a new one. It costs about as much as, oh hell, I keep coming up with excuses.

Well at least you know they are excuses. I belong to a no frills local gym. $25 per month, no commitment. I Don't have to buy any equipment. A year membership is likely about one of those car payments. No time like the present Jerome.....
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,223 Member
    Options
    No. I find that the people around me who struggle to lose weight are the ones taking slim pills and eating up nicely.

I don't struggle.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it difficult at all. I just used (and still use) the knowledge to make small changes that I can easily adapt to, which over time have added up to big improvements. I view every pound in the right direction as a victory, and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Did the OP rage quit yet?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Did the OP rage quit yet?

Guess I should read the rest of the thread. Brb...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I find the exact opposite to be true. Most unfit or overweight people lack essential knowledge on energy balance, basic biology, and physiology.

I find this to be true universally, not just the unfit and overweight.

I thought the same until I moved to a different country with extremely low obesity rates and where people bike 20-25k a day to commute.

I'm wondering if some of that isn't influenced by the local education system.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I find the exact opposite to be true. Most unfit or overweight people lack essential knowledge on energy balance, basic biology, and physiology.

I find this to be true universally, not just the unfit and overweight.

I thought the same until I moved to a different country with extremely low obesity rates and where people bike 20-25k a day to commute.

I'm wondering if some of that isn't influenced by the local education system.

Do they know more about the mechanics or just live in a society that is more active? I do think education plays a part, a large part and it should have a place high on the ladder of the curriculum, particularly in places where obesity is now getting out of control.