Feeling guilty after small slip ups

Options

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OP it can be a hard trek losing weight, try not to make it harder on yourself by letting perfect be the enemy of good.

We all make mistakes, don't expect yourself to be perfect and be kinder to yourself when things don't go according to plan, just keep doing better than you did before.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Maybe what you're feeling isn't so much guilt but fear. Is your self-confidence shaken?

When that happens to me, I use it as a springboard for a new burst of determination, go into competitive mode and vow that in three days I can calculate and see that I'm indeed on track. Eat 33 fewer calories per day for 3 days and that extra 100 won't matter.

I continually try to find ways to prove to myself how strong I am, especially after a slip up. Focusing on the present and the future is so important in building confidence.
  • tdavis1994
    tdavis1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kevrcook wrote: »
    I feel for you but you do need to be hard on yourself 100 can soon be 200 !and then 300. You need to get a grip and not make such basic mistakes. There is no progress without pain and commitment

This is not helpful advice. No need to be rude.

• tdavis1994
    Options
    For everyone that had helpful positive things to say, thank you. I am at a huge deficit as it is and I need to remember that. It will take me time to get the weight off and I will learn what's best for me as I go.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    tdavis1994 wrote: »
    kevrcook wrote: »
    I feel for you but you do need to be hard on yourself 100 can soon be 200 !and then 300. You need to get a grip and not make such basic mistakes. There is no progress without pain and commitment

This is not helpful advice. No need to be rude.

Don't take it personally. Some people need to move out of their mother's basement.

I don't get what this means. Someone please explain.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1. Minor slip up if at all
    2. Measuring by you, boxes or restaurants can be off, way off.
    3. If you go to the gym tomorrow, work an extra ten minutes if you're really worried.
    4. If you make this process complicated and frustrating you might be less likely to succeed.
    5. Losing sleep might make you hibgrier tomorrow, it does for me.
    6. You are human. Enjoy every once in a while, no big deal.

It's all good! Move on. New day tomorrow.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    I am over by 1,670 calories today. The 1,300 Dairy Queen Blizzard didn't help. My daily calorie goal is set to only 750 under maintenance. That means I am about 1000 calories over maintenance. It may slow my progress a little, but is just a blip in the grans scheme of things. As long as it isn't an every day thing, I will be just fine.

*Exact* same thing happened to me today. A frozen custard put me over by 1000. But even so, my weekly net has me right on track. In the past, something like this would have me stressing and giving up because I'm not able to be perfect, but now, I'll chalk it up to having an *occasional* decadent treat. I've been craving and putting off that custard for a month (in the past, it would not have been put off for no man's money, so that in itself was a win). And now, I'll go on with life and be back on track tomorrow.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's just life.
    We all have days when we go over. Today I've got a family do. I'll go over - it's all planned like that.
    One thing is to learn to accept the decisions you make. I've decided I want to enjoy prosecco with my family today. I will - and tomorrow's a new day.
    You can't change the past - so no benefit in worrying or feeling guilty.
    By all means learn from it. So take a moment to register that you don't like the way you feel when you over indulge for a reason you haven't planned. Then next time you are in the same situation remember how you will feel afterwards.
    Hope that's of some help to you.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    For everyone that had helpful positive things to say, thank you. I am at a huge deficit as it is and I need to remember that. It will take me time to get the weight off and I will learn what's best for me as I go.

If you are substantially undereating recommended calories for weight loss, it is likely you will eat over your own set calorie allowance again. You body won't be getting the nutrition it needs and you will likely be hungry.
  • tdavis1994
    Options
    I am eating enough calories to feel full. I just mean that if I go over 100 calories one day the deficit in big enough that it really won't matter. And I should stop beating myself up about something that is such a small impact and learn from my mistakes

• lizzy_yak
    lizzy_yak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's easy to lose perspective when calorie counting if you overthink it. So try thinking about it another way:

Bananas are around 120 calories. Are you really going to let 4/5 of a banana dictate how you feel about yourself today? :smile:
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's easy to lose perspective :(t6982y2gd23.jpg
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Nope. And I also don't freak out if I'm 200 under. It's the average over time and whether that gets you to your goal that matters. In fact I carry a lot during the week because I will plan for things like giant lobster rolls and fries.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am eating enough calories to feel full. I just mean that if I go over 100 calories one day the deficit in big enough that it really won't matter. And I should stop beating myself up about something that is such a small impact and learn from my mistakes

THIS !!!!!!!

The best advice I received when I first started losing was :"You are not making a big change in your life, you are making a series of small changes".

How this translates to the days I overeat:
    • Was I hungry? Did I NEED to eat extra?
    • Did I eat more than target of something healthy or was it fun food?
    • Was this a one-time thing or am I doing this frequently?

If you are eating at a deficit on a daily basis, you are doing just fine. A day or two of eating at a smaller deficit (or even maintenance), especially if you were hungry, does not matter in the overall scheme of things. You are LEARNING how to eat better. People who are not overweight also have days where they eat more than they burned that day, they just adjust for it over the next couple of days. You are learning how to eat like that and this is just one lesson in that series of changes. It was NOT a mistake, it is part of the learning process.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Does anyone else feel so guilty after going over there calories? Yesterday I went over by 100 calories and felt extremely guilty when laying in bed last night. Couldn't stop worrying that I had ruined my progress and would fall back into old habits. How do other people deal with this kind of thing?

If you only went over by 100 calories, then you didn't ruin a damn thing. ;) When you signed up for mfp, you chose to lose a certain amount each week and the amount of calories are deducted from your maintenance calories. Technically you can eat up to your maintenance calories (anywhere from 250-1000) and not gain (or lose less than expected).

You gain when you go over maintenance (500 over maintenance every day for a week) can lead to a 1lb gain. So your 100 calories isn't going to make much of a difference in the week- you'll lose just a tiny bit less, or it won't really matter. It certainly won't matter in the long run. A drop in the ocean.

So drop the guilt and shame; it's not doing you any favours.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went over calories by about 125 yesterday. The day before, I was under by 54 calories. As much as we try to log accurately, there's some wiggle room in the MFP database. Don't micromanage yourself! It's all within the range of success. You'll find that you are still losing weight, slowly but surely, with these little blips.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labels can be off, legally, by up to 20%.

You simply cannot measure your intake to the nearest 100 calories in a day.

And if you could that is only 11 grams of body fat, your scale cannot measure that accurately.

If you are worried, go an additional 100 calories under some day to make up for it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I went over maintenance three days in a row as of yesterday. I'll probably be up a lb tomorrow, but I'm still in deficit for the month and I bet I can drop that lb again by the end of the week. It happens. I truly believe that this will only work AND stick if I'm gentle to myself. It took me seven years to gain the 70 lbs I'm hoping to lose and keep off. I'm six months and 18 lbs into it and so long as I'm losing or maintaining, I'm going to call that a success.