I'm now "Socially" unbearable to be around and stopped dating and going out

Options

Replies

• KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    And as for dating - most guys want to drink alcohol (which I don't) and they literally have told me that it bothers them. They always want to go out to eat and then I can't wolf down drinks, appetizers, a full meal, and then dessert!(and most don't want to share). Guys get really offended when I can't finish that much food.

I don't know, maybe the city I'm in has too big of a spectrum - one one end, you have guys that just want to drink and eat junk food an then on the other end you have the super fit, gym rats that only date playboy models...

anyways, that's why I stopped dating.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    KingsGirl4 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this makes you socially unbearable to be around

Because if I'm such an eyeroll for customizing my food/drink, then obviously they don't want to be around me.

From all the other comments, I realized it's a particular friend of mine who is getting me worked up. This friend literally says "you're weird" to my face in an embarrassing way in front of waiters. I guess since it was recent, it has multiplied the other comments I receive from other friends.

I'm learning more and more that it really comes down to who you surround yourself with. When I'm surrounded by my overweight friends, I tend to eat double or triple my servings. I just need to keep being with people who enjoy activities like I do.

everyone customises their foods who cares.
    i more eye roll my friends when they are so rude to the waiters i wonder if they will customise their food in a unprofessional way
    unless you are really being annoying sounds like you just need new friends.

you should eat whatever you want no matter what size your friends are
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    And as for dating - most guys want to drink alcohol (which I don't) and they literally have told me that it bothers them. They always want to go out to eat and then I can't wolf down drinks, appetizers, a full meal, and then dessert!(and most don't want to share). Guys get really offended when I can't finish that much food.

I don't know, maybe the city I'm in has too big of a spectrum - one one end, you have guys that just want to drink and eat junk food an then on the other end you have the super fit, gym rats that only date playboy models...

anyways, that's why I stopped dating.

you have really closed yourself off unnecessarily, not every man drinks. not every girl drinks
    i can play with one drink for the whole night. if others around me want to drink and they do thats ok too just know how you are getting home safely.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink, and even then it's in minuscule amounts. I get some playful banter, but nothing serious or mean spirited. You might be too sensitive to casual normal comments.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If your friend is rude and insulting, spend less time with her. Why does her being rude and insulting make you socially unbearable? It sounds like she's the one who is unbearable, not you.

As for guys being bothered by you not wanting to drink alcohol...so what. If your lifestyle is one where you don't drink every time you go out and a guy is bothered by that, you are not a good match. It seems fortunate that you can quickly figure that out and not waste too much of each other's time.

And as for not finishing your food, the guy probably wouldn't be bothered if you mentioned up front that you'll pay for your own meal.
  • KingsGirl4
    Options
    In the lunchroom today, my coworker says to me "oh, salad again today?!"

This is what's getting to me. In a professional setting, I'm being judged
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Who gives a *kitten* what your coworker thinks
    They are just bored
    Either shut them up with something sarcastic or let it ride. Your going to make yourself sick if you are not careful
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

I would have a rude sarcastic answer for said co worker.
  • KingsGirl4
    Options
    I really appreciate all the support in this thread. I think I'm just frustrated with being surrounded by these comments all the time. It's really almost every single meal time. So I might be projecting but I'm just a little frustrated.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I think you are being way too sensitive. People are going to judge you all the time, for better or worse. I find myself judging people in my head all the time. I'm not proud of it, but it's human nature and at least I have the manners to not say it out loud. Who cares what this person says? And what the heck is wrong with having a salad for lunch every day?

As far as the dating, there is nothing weird about a woman out with a new (or newish) date deciding not to drink. If the men you are dating think you are weird for not drinking or eating a 4 course meal, you're dating the wrong guys.

Honestly, either you talk a lot about your reasons for eating/drinking differently and don't realize it and it annoys people, or you are imagining all this "judging", or you know some really off people. Stop worrying about it, and start avoiding/ignoring people who go out of their way to comment, just make sure you aren't the one calling attention to your choices. :drinker:
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My co-workers, friends, and family used to make all sorts of comments. Now three years later, they just know that's the way I eat. Co-workers know I eat the same thing everyday. A 2 oz turkey spinach sandwich with mostly spinach. I started dating a man who doesn't drink, but doesn't mind if I do. He'll eat twice as much as me and we do just fine.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Also, I took up tea drinking specifically for those get togethers at Starbucks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've had bariatric surgery so I eat weird at every meal. I don't drink and eat at the same time. I may leave half my plate unfinished, and I eat slow.

I smile and laugh it off. Sometimes I order water then don't touch it. I ask for a take-out container at the end of the meal. I reassure the waiter that I enjoyed the meal very much. The rest is on them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the support in this thread. I think I'm just frustrated with being surrounded by these comments all the time. It's really almost every single meal time. So I might be projecting but I'm just a little frustrated.

So then stop eating with the people who are making the comments. Or ignore the comments. People say stupid stuff all the time. It doesn't mean you have to take it to heart.
  • Sankf
    Sankf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since my journey of eating clean and getting healthy for the last 3 years, I have made some great lifestyle changes and milestones. Though now I find myself pretty unbearable and "weird" to be around.

I don't like going out to eat that much and if I do, I'm pretty "picky" with my order (according to my friends). I might order my hot chocolate with less chocolate or I would like to substitute a veggie patty on my salad instead of chicken (trying to be vegetarian). Whatever it is, I'm just too difficult to be around.

I also gotten into the habit of drinking a lot of water and so now I literally just don't like coffee and tea at the moment. So there goes trips to a coffee shop as well (I end up getting some greek yogurt which is "weird" right?).

Also, if I want dessert, I literally only want a bite or 2 and again, that's "weird."

So these new lifestyle changes and habits of mine have affected my social life a lot. I'm thankful for the friends that respect me and to those that like to make fun of me and call me "weird" I honestly don't care for their opinions. I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through something similar and how do you deal with it?

• Sankf
    Sankf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well I believe you must do what you like and makes you happy if you feel you re weird by yourself so it's something wrong with you and your new life style if you don't respect your self no body does and if you call yourself weird because are you eating yogurt at coffee shop they are gonna multiple the calls for fun or because they re jelius of you! You doing what you're doing for you and not for your friends plus every person is different and they look from different side the thing's! Respect your self and the others are going to respect you!