Carbs

Options
I am new to this and I'd like to first say Hello :-)!
Second, I track everything like 95% of the time. I actually enjoy it and fond it useful (for ex I never knew that the best meals ar around 350-400 kcal for me personally - so I don't get sleepy or too full or on the opposite: too empthy). Anyway, I wantes to ask about the apps alerts which sound like "your daily carb intake is under 199 g" - should I be worried if I went over that? I ate smth like 50 g over that so called goal.
Also, after tracking for 3 days I noticed that the majority of my calories come from carbs (whole fruit or veggies and some beans and hummus every 4-5 days, not refined sugars or whatever, I usually eat very clean).
Oh, and I want to lose 20 kg. I am 27, female, 183 cm. :-))))

So thank you all for your info and feedback!
Cristina

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical concern, you don't have to worry about coming in high on the carbs, as long as you're getting a decent amount of protein and fat. It doesn't make sense for the carb macro to be red-flagged the way it is, but you can turn the flag off, or just ignore it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss.
    Macros for satiety, and some health and fitness goals.

I only pay attention to protein, I feel fuller when i hit my protein goal, but that's highly individual. Some people feel better when they keep their carbs lower, but I actually felt better when they are on the higher side.

You don't have to pay attention to your macros, but if you find some days you are constantly hungry and other days you are fine you might find there is a specific macro that when you overdo it you feel hungry or when you get enough of it you feel full.

Welcome and good luck!
  • Asibaris
    Asibaris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kimny72. That was very helpful. Maybe some days, yes, I will want more protein, and others more fat and so on. So in a nutshell I will listen to my body and cravins in my calorie limit ^^. And I will also watch that the food I eat is of the best quality (I can afford ofc
  • Asibaris
    Options
    If you don't have a medical concern, you don't have to worry about coming in high on the carbs, as long as you're getting a decent amount of protein and fat. It doesn't make sense for the carb macro to be red-flagged the way it is, but you can turn the flag off, or just ignore it.

Thank you for the feedback!! I perosnally don't think carb are the enemy or anything, especially because I only get it from frwah veggies and fruit, at most 1-2 tbsp of raw honey (which I don't eat everyday). It's just that I for now don't underatand the math behind counting macros for now. As I understood, I should be more carefull after I hit a plateau and want to drop more fat. Put I just started out and need not worry for plateaus just yet :-).
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me feel sluggish and cause cravings. I cut carbs to feel good...not for nutritional reasons.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The app assumes you set your goal for a reason. But most people aren't worried about it and their macros are mostly arbitrary. It sounds like you're in that category. Some people, like me, are trying to stay under a certain carb limit. The warning is useful for that.

So, essentially, if you don't know if you should care about the warning, that means you shouldn't care about the warning.
  • Asibaris
    Options
    Hey, @nokanjaijo - why do you limit your carb? Is it for health related issues or because, like @amyn73 said, you do it to not feel sluggish and reduce the risk of having cravings? To be honest, I read The Prima Blueprint and tried to limit my carbs between 50-100 g per day, but I just couldn't. To feel okish I need at least 150 and to feel 100% myself about 200. Eating under left me frustrated and grumpy :blush:

So maybe I started this post to see if people still lost weight after just watching their overall calorie intake and not just by tracking and limiting carbs or fat or whatever..
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    @asibiris, I tried it and my anxiety and depression went away, my mind is clearer and more focused, I'm more productive. My lower back pain eased up.

I can not begin to explain it, how it works or what is going on. I can say this: there isn't a cupcake or a pasta dish on this planet. No thank you.

The advice I give about keto, which is what we call this type of restriction, try it. Just stay under 50g for a month. At the end of the month, you'll know. If you're grumpy all the time, it's not for you. There's probably something for you, keep trying stuff.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    @asibiris, I tried it and my anxiety and depression went away, my mind is clearer and more focused, I'm more productive. My lower back pain eased up.

I can not begin to explain it, how it works or what is going on...

It is probably very individual.
    For me it is exactly opposite. When my carb intake falls below ~35% of my current macro split, that is below ~150g, i get exactly those symptoms plus more - headaches and anxiety. I also find it severely impacts my ability to think clearly about more complex stuff at work. So low carb approach is totally out of question for me.
    Eating higher % of carbs has not had an impact of my weight loss though (lost 74KG /160LBS). Of course, going way over my calorie limit impacts weight loss instantly.

• nokanjaijo
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »

I can not begin to explain it, how it works or what is going on...

It is probably very individual.
    For me it is exactly opposite. When my carb intake falls below ~35% of my current macro split, that is below ~150g, i get exactly those symptoms plus more - headaches and anxiety. I also find it severely impacts my ability to think clearly about more complex stuff at work. So low carb approach is totally out of question for me.
    Eating higher % of carbs has not had an impact of my weight loss though (lost 74KG /160LBS). Of course, going way over my calorie limit impacts weight loss instantly.

Not probably, it is without a doubt very individual. It's why I give the advice to just try it and see how it affects you.
  • Asibaris
    Options
    @Meelisv and @nokanjaijo - I agree with both of you. Clearly it's personal.
    And with all respect @nokanjaijo I shall not try keto - it just seems too drastic for me. Since I clearly couldn't live with 50-100g, most certainly I cannot with under 50.

However, I find it interesting that some days I need carbs and other times I crave more fats and/or protein and lack the need for carbs. Like today for ex.

So after this conversation and seeing my so-called cravings evolution for the last few days I can only deduce that I need to listen to my body, give it what it wants and be careful with the calories.

So one more thing @Meelisv - since you lost so many kg, but you too @nokanjaijo - how did you cope with plateaus?

Cristina
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Asibaris wrote: »
    I can only deduce that I need to listen to my body, give it what it wants and be careful with the calories

Exactly this :)

I lost most of my weight over quite a long period of time - most of it in 2 years, then sat at almost same weight for a year or so, now trying to get last bit off :)
    Plateaus happen, in my journey, i have also had short periods when i can't really keep on track and gain a bit back. I think it's only logical. We are weak human beings afterall ;) .I'll try not to worry about it, and i try to cope with my weaknesses and deal with them. Some of which i have found out only later, after i managed successfully lose most of my excess weight.

I can tell more about those too, but that goes probably out of scope of this topic.

• nokanjaijo
    Options
    And with all respect @nokanjaijo I shall not try keto - it just seems too drastic for me. Since I clearly couldn't live with 50-100g, most certainly I cannot with under 50.

However, I find it interesting that some days I need carbs and other times I crave more fats and/or protein and lack the need for carbs. Like today for ex.

So after this conversation and seeing my so-called cravings evolution for the last few days I can only deduce that I need to listen to my body, give it what it wants and be careful with the calories.

So one more thing @Meelisv - since you lost so many kg, but you too @nokanjaijo - how did you cope with plateaus?

Cristina

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm a healthy weight. And I was a healthy weight when I started keto. I actually started keto after getting back up to a healthy weight after being on adderall for treatment resistant depression. I was very thin on that drug. It made me completely lose interest in food but I didn't really feel any better.
  • Asibaris
    Options

Cristina

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm a healthy weight. And I was a healthy weight when I started keto. I actually started keto after getting back up to a healthy weight after being on adderall for treatment resistant depression. I was very thin on that drug. It made me completely lose interest in food but I didn't really feel any better.

I'm happy (for real) to hear you got your life back. :-)
  • Asibaris
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I can only deduce that I need to listen to my body, give it what it wants and be careful with the calories

Exactly this :)

I lost most of my weight over quite a long period of time - most of it in 2 years, then sat at almost same weight for a year or so, now trying to get last bit off :)
    Plateaus happen, in my journey, i have also had short periods when i can't really keep on track and gain a bit back. I think it's only logical. We are weak human beings afterall ;) .I'll try not to worry about it, and i try to cope with my weaknesses and deal with them. Some of which i have found out only later, after i managed successfully lose most of my excess weight.

I can tell more about those too, but that goes probably out of scope of this topic.

Thank you! I really need more real examples like yourself to motivate me to not give up. I always had problems with my weight and I lost some then gained some back and so forth. I never managed to get back on track. I had to pun on 10+ to start dieting again. The difference now is that I don't want a diet. I something for life. I don't intend to use MFP for life, but want to do it just enough to lose those nasty and unhealthy 20 kg and figure my body out. :-)

Good luck with that last bit,
    Cristina
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hey, @nokanjaijo - why do you limit your carb? Is it for health related issues or because, like @amyn73 said, you do it to not feel sluggish and reduce the risk of having cravings? To be honest, I read The Prima Blueprint and tried to limit my carbs between 50-100 g per day, but I just couldn't. To feel okish I need at least 150 and to feel 100% myself about 200. Eating under left me frustrated and grumpy :blush:

So maybe I started this post to see if people still lost weight after just watching their overall calorie intake and not just by tracking and limiting carbs or fat or whatever..

Sorry for answering a question for another.

I limit carbs because I am diabetic (in remission aka: with normal BG numbers). I need to keep my carbs under 160 g per day in order to keep my numbers normal. I actually feel better as far as energy goes when I eat more carbs so I do eat as close to my limit as I can. I feel sluggish if I eat more protein.
  • Asibaris
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Don't be sorry.
    I'm happy to hear you found your own balance and chose to listen to your body...
    I think that as long as you feel ok and you get your carbs from healthy sources - like fruit and a little raw honey here and there, you'll do great on your fat loss journey and with your diabetes :-).

Cristina

Ps: I don't like to call it weight loss journey as weight can come from so many sources. Plus what we really want is to get rid of the extra fat on our bodies.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Don't be sorry.
    I'm happy to hear you found your own balance and chose to listen to your body...
    I think that as long as you feel ok and you get your carbs from healthy sources - like fruit and a little raw honey here and there, you'll do great on your fat loss journey and with your diabetes :-).

Cristina

Ps: I don't like to call it weight loss journey as weight can come from so many sources. Plus what we really want is to get rid of the extra fat on our bodies.

I dislike that term too. Also "lifestyle change". Don't know why, but they are like nails on a chalkboard to me. To each his own, though.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

Cristina

I'm happy (for real) to hear you got your life back. :-)

Thank you! I'm happy, too! :D
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, all myfitnesspal is trying to do is help you stick to your goals, whatever those happen to be.

Even if you aren't really tracking macros and just left it at the default figures, it thinks you really want to stick to that and gives you reminders to be helpful.

Of course you can ignore them or switch them off. I leave them on because I find them funny - congratulating me for eating ice cream because 'You've met your protein goal for today!'