Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    Carbs make me feel sluggish and cause cravings. I cut carbs to feel good...not for nutritional reasons.

This is where people need to personalise their diets as for me I'm the polar opposite....

Carbs give me energy and cause no cravings. I eat carbs to feel good and for great nutrition.

Neither is right or wrong - just examples of how diets, macros and food choices are very personal.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Wow...a thread about carbs that didn't go nuclear! You guys are amazing!

Bleh.. it deleted what else I typed. I tried to contribute.
  • Asibaris
    Asibaris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

Thank you! Your comment made me laugh :wink:
    You can type whatever you want.. That's why I made this thread.

To be honest, no matter what anyone sais, I trully believe moderation is the key and that we all need or have our days where carbs/protein/fat are queen. Depends on a lot of factors.
    Whatever makes you happy!
  • Asibaris
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Asibaris wrote: »
    @earlnabby
    Don't be sorry.
    I'm happy to hear you found your own balance and chose to listen to your body...
    I think that as long as you feel ok and you get your carbs from healthy sources - like fruit and a little raw honey here and there, you'll do great on your fat loss journey and with your diabetes :-).

Cristina

Ps: I don't like to call it weight loss journey as weight can come from so many sources. Plus what we really want is to get rid of the extra fat on our bodies.

I dislike that term too. Also "lifestyle change". Don't know why, but they are like nails on a chalkboard to me. To each his own, though.

Lifestyle change is somewhat okish.. To be honest I changed quite a bit over the years.. For ex, I love working out now. I actually had a shoulder injury for a month and couldn't do my routines and I was a little depressed. Not because I felt guilty for not working out, but because I felt the need to, and all I could do was walk.. :smile:
    Lifestyle change has became somewhat commercial and is used everywhere , true, but I think ultimetly this is what it is..

Cristina
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have to limit my carbs for diabetic reasons. When I was first diagnosed a couple of years ago, I was only slightly overweight. I was scared because of the diagnosis and drastically reduced my carbs. I don't believe I was in keto. However, at the time I was exercising regularly. I had a personal trainer, not for weight loss, but to increase muscle. Anyway, I lost 20 something pounds, seemingly without trying. I attributed that loss to carb reduction. However, in retrospect, now that I'm trying to lose, it wasn't so much the carbs, but the exercise and weight training. I was still monitoring my carbs during my 30-35 lb weight gain.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Total lifestyle change is exactly what has happened with me. ...well at least mostly.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in, I have PCOS and my doctor told me people with PCOS need low carb for weight loss, I believe because it avoids blood sugar spikes and crazy hormonal cravings. So i like my doc shes great and tried to listen. to put it bluntly, I was a *kitten* miserable *kitten*. Starving constantly i got shakey and moody and just tired constantly. And i didnt lose any weight in 2 months. The second i said screw this and listened to my body (it wanted carbs and fat) I began losing. 13 months later, And 105 pounds down, I am living proof that you cant just put people in generalized boxes based on genders or medical issues or anything. Besides some of the obvious ones like diabetics, But even within them everyones different

Thats the most important step to long term weight loss i believe, Listening to your body and finding what it likes and keeps you energized and happy
  • Asibaris
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Just chiming in, I have PCOS and my doctor told me people with PCOS need low carb for weight loss, I believe because it avoids blood sugar spikes and crazy hormonal cravings. So i like my doc shes great and tried to listen. to put it bluntly, I was a *kitten* miserable *kitten*. Starving constantly i got shakey and moody and just tired constantly. And i didnt lose any weight in 2 months. The second i said screw this and listened to my body (it wanted carbs and fat) I began losing. 13 months later, And 105 pounds down, I am living proof that you cant just put people in generalized boxes based on genders or medical issues or anything. Besides some of the obvious ones like diabetics, But even within them everyones different

Thats the most important step to long term weight loss i believe, Listening to your body and finding what it likes and keeps you energized and happy

Thank you for that!! I also have PCOS but no doctor told me to lower my carbs.. I'm glad you told me your story. I find it very helpfull and surelly not just me.

Cristina
  • Asibaris
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I have to limit my carbs for diabetic reasons. When I was first diagnosed a couple of years ago, I was only slightly overweight. I was scared because of the diagnosis and drastically reduced my carbs. I don't believe I was in keto. However, at the time I was exercising regularly. I had a personal trainer, not for weight loss, but to increase muscle. Anyway, I lost 20 something pounds, seemingly without trying. I attributed that loss to carb reduction. However, in retrospect, now that I'm trying to lose, it wasn't so much the carbs, but the exercise and weight training. I was still monitoring my carbs during my 30-35 lb weight gain.

So this is another good example of there are no specific enemies, except for yourself and general excess - of food, sedentarism, and whatever you could come up with. :smile:

I am gratefull you all your answers and time you put into writing them.

Cristina
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Adding my experience. I was diagnosed with prediabetes. I tried very low carb and it did not work for me, but in the beginning I needed to watch carbs and stay under 170 I believe? Or was it 150? It was a few years ago I can't remember. Once I lost enough weight for my blood sugar to stabilize at a normal number I stopped paying attention to carbs and I just ignore the warning. I find a higher carb diet keeps me full better and keeps my mood in check.

You can also change your macro goals if you wish. I use them loosely, mainly to make sure I get enough protein. The default macros are working fine for me, but I do go over carbs often, sometimes by a little like today and sometimes by a lot. Here is how today ended up for me.

8qlmb1cnut1h.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There really is no carb minimum. I would ignore the app alerts about that. I would pay attention to hitting protein goals and exceeding fat minimums though.

I am another low carber who went low carb for health reasons. I stay with it because it helps me feel much better and because I find weight management much easier. My appetite and carb cravings get the best of me when I eat moderate carb....even when I eat above keto levels TBH.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

We did it, guys!

I'd like to thank my phrenologist, Gwanwyn Moonwagon, my pet psychic Fred Pancake, and my life coach/junk drawer organizer, Dick Weirdly.

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm sure pre-diabetes or diabetes is another issue regarding carbs. From my experience, the carbs need to be monitored according to what your glucose readings are, either daily or from meal to meal. Also from my experience, if I have a heavy carb meal (like pizza), I can work those carbs off with exercise.