Why did you get married?

Options

Replies

• BlueAventer
    BlueAventer Posts: 129
    Options
    I heard you get sex 3x a day when you get married, so I proposed.

I also think infomercials are always truthful, and I believe everything politicians say.

And how's that working out for ya? :smile:
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    My husband and I have been married for 3 years... We got married when I was 18 and he was 25 and honestly no one thought we were going to be together for very long, even the people that were totally okay with us dating when I was in high school and he had just graduated college. I wish I could say that we did it to prove those people wrong, but that's not true :) We wanted to marry each other because we love each other, he's my other half (so cheesy lol), and I honestly, even now, don't know how I could live without him (and he tells me frequently that he couldn't function without me but I know that's because he can't cook or load the dishwasher properly :P haha)

Maybe marriage is becoming old fashioned, and though I don't subscribe to a ton of old fashioned ideals and I'm perfectly aware that marriage used to be more about property and less about love, what it means to me, personally, is that my husband and I are totally committed to each other and we'll always work out our issues no matter how many arguments we have (I can't remember an argument in the last three years where I could tell you what we argued about, anyway, lol), and that we'll be at each others side whatever the situation may be.

We might be kind of an odd couple--we met playing Warcraft III on battle.net, he moved across two states when he finished college to be near me, my parents ABSOLUTELY loved him from the first time they met him (still do, hehe), he asked my dad for permission to propose to me and then did it in Paris across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower just after sunset, our wedding didn't cost an arm and a leg and we had orchestral arrangements to video game music during the ceremony :) We enjoy each others company even if we're not talking, have lots of different hobbies as well as similar ones, we indulge each others obsessions (many a freezing night spent in line for midnight game releases, etc) and keep each other happy :)

I could probably go on with reasons why I married that man :)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that you ask this and get lots of answers other than the obvious "I love him". I got married at 18 to the guy I'd been dating since I was 14. A random cashier saw my ring one day and asked me why I got married so young. I don't remember what I said...Something about college costs and we'd been together for 5 yrs already, and our families would look down on our living together without being married...He just looked at me weird and said, "You didn't mention anything about love." HMMMM... I thought about that a long time trying to figure out why (and still do sometimes)..Now...we're still together (married 8yrs now), and I obviously love him, but that's something to ponder I guess...

^^^Random...I know
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that you ask this and get lots of answers other than the obvious "I love him".

My assumption was why you did it when you did... not why you actually married them. I assumed that since she specified instead of just living together, which in most cases shows a sign of love and commitment, what made you want to finally cross the t's and dot the i's. I wouldnt' have ever even considered marrying my husband if I didnt love him and think he was the best person in the world to be with, circumstances dictated when we finally made that plunge, but after five years of living together all it is then is a huge get together, a piece of paper and a tax credit. The love is in the relationship long before the marriage, if its a true committed relationship
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    My husband and I got married on the 13th day of our 13th month together. We had only 8 guests, rented out the football stadium and were married on the 50 yard line. We got married because we're in love and don't want to live without each other, it makes it official, I wanted to have his name and couldn't wait for the stability that comes with being married. We had a great wedding and have been fabulous every since, functioning as a unit instead of two people... so in love and so happy, I can't wait to get home to him everyday!! I still giggle with bliss every single time I say "my husband" ***swooooooooon**
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think its beautiful and Im not religious. I believe in God/Jesus/devil and I know he loves me.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    What I can tell you... Love is worth the struggle. It's worth the anguish and the pain. Love it worth all the ups and all the downs.

I fell in love with a girl. Our plan was to grow old together (while keeping each other young). Apparently, that wasn't everyone's plan because earlier this summer I lost her. After a week in the hospital I'm still here. I've been told I survived, but I don't feel alive anymore.

My biggest hope for everyone who reads this: LOVE like you may never get to show your love again. Make it a passion. Make the person you love into your best friend. Don't try to control them. Don't toss them to the wolves. Don't ever give them a single moment to doubt how much you care. Stand up for them and support them in all of their choices... both good and bad.

Love is worth it.

WOW, brought tears to my eyes. Sounds like you two had a special kind of love. I feel the same way about my husband. When I think of him I think "man, God loves me so much look what he gave me!" We finish each others sentances. There have been times when I can smell his scent without him being around and I get goose bumps. Love is an incredible feeling. I wish everyone could have a love like this. Like you said being in love with your best friend is priceless.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I see marriage as a public celebration and declaration of our love for each other.

Plus, he had a shorter last name. :laugh: I thought people might be less likely to mispronounce, but they screw it up just as much as my maiden name.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Well, have you ever heard the song "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights"?.... no really, because she's the greatest!
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We enjoyed the same things and enjoyed spending time together, he was my best friend. He proposed to me in frint of the monkey cages at the zoo. We were 19 when we got married and celebrated our 34th anniversary this past spring. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat. He is still my best friend.
  • Fiesta80
    Fiesta80 Posts: 35
    Options
    I heard you get sex 3x a day when you get married, so I proposed.

I also think infomercials are always truthful, and I believe everything politicians say.

no wonder you're angry :smile:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Well. I met my hubby when I was 18 and he was 23. We pretty much lived together from the time we started dating, going between my moms house and his parents house. We got engaged 6 months later, 4 days after my 19th birthday and got married 13 months after we got engaged, I had just turned 20 and he was almost 25. 10 months later our first child was born (BC and antibiotic mixed even tho the stupid pharmacist said it was fine lol) I got married because I love him. I knew he was the one for me. We've been married 7 years and together almost 9. We have been thru many ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • RandiSpicer
    Options
    Because it makes it harder for the one you love to get away!! :happy: :laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic so this is a Catholic take on it:

We as a people marry because it is a Sacrament and the sacraments are the way to know God. If you find a spouse who you love and cherish, nothing pleases God more than a Sacramental marriage. It is a bond for life, not until you no longer feel the need to be married.

1 Corinthians
    1 Corinthians 13:1-13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels,
    but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
    If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
    and if I have a faith that can move mountains,
    but have not love, I am nothing.
    If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,
    but have not love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient,
    love is kind.
    It does not envy,
    it does not boast,
    it is not proud.
    It is not rude,
    it is not self-seeking,
    it is not easily angered,
    it keeps no record of wrongs.
    Love does not delight in evil
    but rejoices with the truth.
    It always protects,
    always trusts,
    always hopes,
    always perseveres.
    Love never fails.
    But where there are prophecies,
    they will cease;
    where there are tongues,
    they will be stilled;
    where there is knowledge,
    it will pass away.
    For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
    but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
    When I was a child, I talked like a child,
    I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
    When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
    Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror;
    then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully,
    even as I am fully known.
    And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
    But the greatest of these is love.

Sorry if the religious stuff bothers anyone but that's the way I see it.

Catholic girl here. This is how I've always seen marriage. My parents have been married for almost 34 years and I'll have been married 2 years next May. Even after being together almost 10 years, its as if my love for him grows 10 fold every day. I truly believe I married my soul mate. I don't believe it's "just a piece of paper" it's something so much more. Congrats on your engagement and have fun planning the wedding!!!
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    Because I found an amazing man! So after 11 months of dating we went to Vegas and got married. Had 20 guests.

I am glad I didnt spend alot of money on the wedding.

20 guests? it seems too little.
    How do you feel the life after marriage?

Oh its wonderful. I truely married my best -friend. Well we talked about getting married the following year. But then I got pregnant so we just figured what the hell lets do it now while I was still not showing. So 2 months of planning and we went to Vegas had a nice pool side wedding. 20 guests were all that could make it on short notice. And to me the people that came were the people that mattered the most. Me and my husband both went to weddings in Vegas before we meet (his best friend and my best- friend were married there) so we knew right away we wanted to go there to be married no matter what.

On our 1 year anniversary we had our reception. Something fun and not typical either. We rented out a bowling alley and severed pizza and beer! Everyone loved it and had a great time.

We are 28 and 35 so to us we couldnt wait 5 years of dating. We wanted to start a family. Its been a crazy road but I love knowing we are committed to each other. We are sooooo a team. We love to spend time together. We dont fight very often. And my husband often tells me our others how much he appreciates me for all the things I do. And I do the same.

Oh yeah and I sent a picture of the ring I wanted when we started to talk about getting married. Then he took me to the store to pick it out and the center diamond. Love my ring :)
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    because we were in love, we have been married for 14 years and I love him more today than when I met him, being married now is more important now we have kids from a legal point of view but at the time I wanted the whole world to know this was the man I want to spend the rest of my life with :blushing:
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    1st off, I got married because I fell in love. He was my best friend, my soul mate & I didn't want to waste anymore precious time being apart from him.

Just living with him, wasn't an option. I guess that's got to do a lot w/ how I was raised. But now adays, a lot of people live together for a number of years before they decide to tie the knot. But I personally didn't want to live like that. And since I knew that I couldn't live w/out him, I wanted to marry him. I wanted to fall asleep in his arms every night & wake up everyday w/ him by my side. I wanted to have his children. More importantly, I wanted to grow old with him.

I remember while we were dating, it was always SO hard for me to leave his house to go home. Although I had a 12:00 pm curfew (@ age 19 might I add), I was late getting home almost every night. I just couldn't pull myself away. Then when I would go home, I'd call him & we'd talk for hours. Sometimes, we'd purposely fall asleep on the phone w/ each other & all because we didn't want to tell each other bye.

Love had a hold on us & it wasn't letting go. Since then, we've had 3 boys & have been married now for almost 16 years; I wouldn't trade a one for anything. Sure we've had our share of fights and even talked divorce a few times. But we always seem to find our way back to one another; we always make up. Our marriage isn't perfect but we are perfect for each other. :blushing:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've been a bridesmaid twice this year. Being part of the bridal party just emphasised for me how much work it takes to put together a wedding - and the result is some pretty pictures and a piece of paper?

I find that really sad. i agree that there is a lot of expense and a lot of planning, but it doesn't have to be, you could go to a church in your ordinary clothes, ask people to come along and witness the ceremony and then you are married with no major expense, saying you don't want to marry because of how much it costs is an excuse, you can do it for virtually nothing, its all the extras that cost, I know, our Wedding day cost us a lot of money, but we wanted it that way, my Husband (and I love saying that) wanted to push the boat out, he insisted on real champagne, a decent reception venue, people travelled from across the world to share our day, we made sure they enjoyed it and felt part of it, the day for us was NOT about the pictures or the piece of paper, it was about showing that we were commited to each other in the eyes of the law, our family and friends then celebrated that with us. People still talk to me about our Wedding, they noticed all the small things I did to personalise the day, the pictures are fabulous to look at, but the memories are the thing, the memory of Bill's face when I walked up the aisle on the arm of my wonderful son, with my two girls, his face when my son handed my hand to him, his face when the children gave him a gift at the reception, some little bits and bobs, a key fob, socks, a mug etc, all saying worlds best dad, welcome to the family Dad'

To them, it was not about the piece of paper or the pictures, to me it was not about that piece of paper or the picture, to my Husband it was not about the piece of paper or the pictures...it was about the love, commitment and the joining together of two people into an age old legally binding one.

I agree, it doesn't have to cost a lot. We spent what it cost to purchase our wedding license, bought 2 rings from James Avery and popped on over the JP. So, we maybe spent $200 total. I wore what I wore to work that day (yea, we went to work, then left to go get married). It wasn't a first for either of us, we'd both been there before and had our kids from previous relationships. This time was for us. No one was there, but the 2 of us and the judge.

lol, we did something similiar but a little bigger, not by much though. I was in college at the time, so I went to class that day (last class before my provincial exam) on a friday, left from there and got my hair done, went home and had a friend do my make up, and got dressed up. We went to the officiants home and were married there. There were 8 of us total, including my husband and I (9 if you include the officiant I guess). Then we did pictures that a friend took (gotta love having so many crafty friends) and went out for dinner at a nice restaurant. We went home and had a mini reception with the same crew in our apartment with a beautiful cake a friend made (I tried to do that one myself, but apparently I am not so good at it lol), then changed clothes and went to a dance club we like where everyone else that wanted to celebrate could join us :) We didn't spend a load of money and we we only kept a few things traditional but we loved it.
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    I married my high school sweetheart after 11 years together! We lived together for 2 years prior to getting married (1 year living together before engaged). We started dating so young, it was just natural for us to wait awhile to get married. I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but honestly, there's just a different feeling to our relationship now that it's "official!" I wouldn't have done it any other way -- big wedding, big party, and big celebration! The high price tag was totally worth it to us!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Because there was no life without her. She is my everything. POSEY267 I LOVE YOU MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY FOREVER AND ALWAYS. You will always be my brightest star. You shine above all the rest! Thanks for saying yes over 15 years ago!

While I'm here?....LOL

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/299772-team-challenge-beginning-august-1st-open-to-all

Come join us we are nearly to 500 members participating in the largest MFP Challenge ever!