August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I wish you a happy, shiny August.

My goal for this month is 150k. I am also targeting a 25k of swimming. After many training and brick sessions I realized that every 2.5k of swimming is equivalent to a 10k run. Pretty cool right?
    Oh and some minor calf issues after the aquathlon seem to be persistent.

Stay hydrated
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @Svnwitch !

@girlinahat gave you great advice (though road running is fine too :tongue: ). The Couch to 5k program is a great start. A few people seem to do that in this thread each month.

Feel free to ask questions, there are some really smart people in this thread.
  • mainemooncat428
    mainemooncat428 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I am a beginner runner who has recently gotten back into the habit. Two years ago I was running about 3 miles every other day with about 5 miles as a long run. Due to many changes in my personal life, I was unable to commit time to exercise until recently when I quit a second job so now I am back at it. Only now I am 50 pounds heavier. :(

I started in earnest about a month ago and now can run/walk 2 miles easily and 3 miles with difficulty. I would like to commit to 35 miles this month.

Thinking of running a half marathon in late October. I have run many 5Ks before and I do have a training plan that would get me there by race day but wanted some opinions on whether that is too soon for that kind of a distance. This particular half marathon is special in that I would be running a route I am very familiar with because I have helped secure law enforcement for this race for years in my work for the police department and the race sponsor has offered to comp my race fee as a thank you.

Thanks for this group and I wish everyone very best luck in completing your goals for August!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @shanaber how about a Fibonacci number divided by pi? :wink:

Oh in kilometers!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Welcome @Irontri7 !! And @spencerfiretn1322 !!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s

Another great run this morning. It was almost, dare I say, chilly! Garmin says it was 63 degrees. I headed out at 6:15 am this morning since I had to run a bit longer this morning. It was a great way to start August out.

Have to mow the lawn this afternoon - I hate mowing, but I'll get a bunch more steps in. I'm already at 18,000 and it's only 9am.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Cross training on elliptical for 4 miles today. I was able to let loose a little and use the aerobics mode without leaving zone 2. Next time I will up the resistance. If I stray into zone 3 I'll cut back.

exercise.png
  • mainemooncat428
    mainemooncat428 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

So what is that, about NINE WEEKS or so to go from "3 miles with difficulty" and 50 pounds over weight to a half marathon? I am no doctor and no expert but that sounds overly aggressive to me.

I suspect if you plan is to walk much of it and your goal is to just finish, that could be done, but run all 13 miles based on where you are at? I am not sure that is a realistic target. I think you would be risking injury and burn out. I would suggest you set your sites on a 10k first.

Again, I would not call myself an expert, but I that just sounds too aggressive based on your self-declared fitness level.

Thanks for the honest feedback; it was what I was looking for. I could walk a lot of it and finish but I don't think I want that as my first half marathon experience. Additional thoughts are welcome.
  • Svnwitch
    Svnwitch Posts: 71 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My goal this month is 60 miles! (Running as much as possible, walking when needed)
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    8/1: 3.1

Total: 3.1/44

Weather forecast last night: cool and cloudy, no rain before 7am. Weather forecast at 5:20am: cool and cloudy, no rain before 7am. Actual weather at home, 5:50: cool and cloudy, no rain. Actual weather at trail parking lot, 6:00: Heavy rain. I hung out in my car for half an hour until it was actually light enough to see and the rain had diminished to a drizzle.

The guys who are usually about a mile ahead of me were just finishing their run as I was warming up. Didn't see anyone else the whole time.

I usually run with music, but today went with just a metronome set to 180bpm and the occasional Grand Old Duke of York. I think I may still have been a little fast, but I maintained a much steadier pace.

I also chose to turn around at the 5k halfway point, which worked out well, because it started raining significantly harder just as I got to my cooldown marker, and I was really glad not to be half a mile further from the car.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    And I am 100% laughing over the fact that we have brought the hot dog convo into another challenge month. @PastorVincent is a plant for French's Mustard, I just know it! Haha!

Just for you, this is my dinner tonight:
    kf039a1dl2cv.jpg
    :lol:

@pastorvincent I'm so jealous!!! I love hot dogs. Skip is making me eat healthier since I gained some weight in the last year so it's salmon and veggies for us tonight.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Amanda2887 wrote: »
    So, this is my first time doing a running challenge. I have never been a big runner, typically walk/jog and have gotten up to doing 3 miles at a time. It has been a while since I have done this so my goal for this month will be 20 miles. I plan on running 1 mile 5 times a week. Each month I plan on increasing it by a half of a mile just to take it slow unless I feel like I need to increase it. I am also in a new neighborhood so finding my new path will be interesting. Another goal is to find my sweet spot so I don't need to walk during my run, I would like to be able to do a long distance run at some point.

Any pointers will be great :smile:

Biggest pointer - Do not compare yourself to anyone on this thread. Some of them are crazy fast and other do crazy mileage. Use a program like RunKeeper, Strava, MapMyFitness, or what ever to track your progress so that you can see your gains over an extended period of time. Take your time and listen to your body.

Also HAVE FUN! :smiley:

And fair warning, do not tell anyone you eat your hot dogs with ketchup on them. *smh*

Awesome advice. I always find myself comparing what I do to others. Here's the thing, when you do that, even if your run faster or more mileage than people, you start feeling inadequate! I'm by no means a fast runner, and my mileage isn't as high as some people's, but I have my goals and I am working toward them as best I can, so I keap that in mind.

Also, don't be afraid to ask question, the experienced runners on here have really helped me become a better runner, and I greatly appreciate their help.

All of this. I am slow and low compared to all of these folks. But I don't compare. I am out there doing my best and it will get better over time!

Also, Thank you for all the support you all have given so far!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent I'm so jealous!!! I love hot dogs. Skip is making me eat healthier since I gained some weight in the last year so it's salmon and veggies for us tonight.
    Those are Hebrew National all beef ones. About as healthy as a hot dog can get. Which is not really saying much I know, but allow me my delusions. :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles

5 of 80 miles

exercise.png

So happy to see all the usual faces and so many new ones here!! Welcome everyone.

@kristinegift girl you have been missed though I've been stalking you on the newsfeed :wink:
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Hahaha - love that the hot dog drama is ongoing! The newbies really will think we are crazy! BTW - Welcome to all of you newbies! We really are a bunch of crazy runners who love to talk about running and well... hot dogs and other things too :)
    Welcome back @PastorVincent :wink:
    @seanevan10 - I am in Dallas fairly often for work as my company has HQ in Irving (was originally a Dallas based company that was bought out by a French company) At the end of the month I will be there with a whole group of people for training but maybe on one of my trips we can plan a get together with @Elise4270 if she is over that way. We tried once before and I got tied up but I would love to meet some of the crazies here!
    @allyphoe - My definition of conversational is not gasping while talking. I would not consider the youtube guy as running at a conversational pace, but that is just my definition.
    @5512bf - Great to have you back!
    Welcome back @kristinegift! The shenanigans have missed your input! :smiley:
    @girlinahat - when I started out with my 0 drop shoes I ran in them only once or twice a week for short runs - 3 to 4 miles. As my legs felt better and better (and I was running faster in them) I brought them into my rotation more often and for longer runs. Now they are pretty much all I wear. I do have some 4 and 6mm which doesn't seem like a huge difference but they definitely feel so different when I run in them.

@shanaber Funny that you said Irving, because I actually work for the city of Irving! So I am right here. Would love to meet up some time. Just let me know, I'm here every day!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options

So what is that, about NINE WEEKS or so to go from "3 miles with difficulty" and 50 pounds over weight to a half marathon? I am no doctor and no expert but that sounds overly aggressive to me.

I suspect if you plan is to walk much of it and your goal is to just finish, that could be done, but run all 13 miles based on where you are at? I am not sure that is a realistic target. I think you would be risking injury and burn out. I would suggest you set your sites on a 10k first.

Again, I would not call myself an expert, but I that just sounds too aggressive based on your self-declared fitness level.

Thanks for the honest feedback; it was what I was looking for. I could walk a lot of it and finish but I don't think I want that as my first half marathon experience. Additional thoughts are welcome.

You can do a half with little training, if you don't mind walking a significant distance of it. And if you decide to do it... well come next year you'll be faster and will set a PR.

Check out the cut off times. There usually are plenty of walkers the ones I've done.
    Figure out the distance you can run.
    Do you want to run every other mile and the last 2 or something of the sort? Or are you set on running the entire course?

Just be careful. This is the type of situation that tests rule #1 of running -train smart- always be mindful of being too agressive to quickly.

Everyone is different. You may be able to pull it off- just approach those miles/kilometers with caution. My son made 6 miles in 6 weeks and was able to consistently run 2 miles in 13 minutes. It'd take me 6 months to do that and I'd get no where near his pace.

So, you're the only one that can truly decide if you can do it. Just be ready to reign it in if needed.