August 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @pastorvincent I'm so jealous!!! I love hot dogs. Skip is making me eat healthier since I gained some weight in the last year so it's salmon and veggies for us tonight.
    Those are Hebrew National all beef ones. About as healthy as a hot dog can get. Which is not really saying much I know, but allow me my delusions. :smiley:

@respectthekitty ha ha my grandmother used to say that all the time "Jesus, Mary and Joseph .... " ha ha BTW did you win the walk challenge?

Yes, yes I did. I had just over 169k steps for the week. Now I am turning it down a week bit this week but cause of the achilles niggle.

And the Jesus Mary and Joseph thing comes from my mom. :smile:

I did one steps challenge, once. I observed that the challenge made me more aggressive than I should have been in getting the steps in, and passed on all step challenges after that. More is not always better.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @pastorvincent I'm so jealous!!! I love hot dogs. Skip is making me eat healthier since I gained some weight in the last year so it's salmon and veggies for us tonight.
    Those are Hebrew National all beef ones. About as healthy as a hot dog can get. Which is not really saying much I know, but allow me my delusions. :smiley:

@respectthekitty ha ha my grandmother used to say that all the time "Jesus, Mary and Joseph .... " ha ha BTW did you win the walk challenge?

Yes, yes I did. I had just over 169k steps for the week. Now I am turning it down a week bit this week but cause of the achilles niggle.

And the Jesus Mary and Joseph thing comes from my mom. :smile:

I did one steps challenge, once. I observed that the challenge made me more aggressive than I should have been in getting the steps in, and passed on all step challenges after that. More is not always better.

I totally agree. I feel like I may have overdid it a bit last week. 169k steps, if you go by the 1 mile = 2,000 steps formula, is 84.5 miles. I don't think I've ever done that much in a week,and I was absolutely exhausted by Sunday, the last day.

It was a fun challenge, mind you, but not something I want to do every week.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Since I only ran twice last month, goal didn't change much:
    Goal will be to complete C25K (12 sessions) and be more consistent.
    W6D1 8/1 – 2.32 mi
  • Beps111
    Beps111 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in for a 25 mile goal this month! I'm only counting walks/runs on treadmills or outside, not my every day daily steps!

exercise.png
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    Hello, everyone. I am a beginner runner who has recently gotten back into the habit. Two years ago I was running about 3 miles every other day with about 5 miles as a long run. Due to many changes in my personal life, I was unable to commit time to exercise until recently when I quit a second job so now I am back at it. Only now I am 50 pounds heavier. :(

I started in earnest about a month ago and now can run/walk 2 miles easily and 3 miles with difficulty. I would like to commit to 35 miles this month.

Thinking of running a half marathon in late October. I have run many 5Ks before and I do have a training plan that would get me there by race day but wanted some opinions on whether that is too soon for that kind of a distance. This particular half marathon is special in that I would be running a route I am very familiar with because I have helped secure law enforcement for this race for years in my work for the police department and the race sponsor has offered to comp my race fee as a thank you.

Thanks for this group and I wish everyone very best luck in completing your goals for August!

I went from not running more that 1 to 2 miles at a time maybe twice a week in February, to running/walking a marathon in July. It's entirely possible. Make sure it's a race that you have plenty of time, and don't make any time goals. My goal for the marathon was to just finish in injured, I did it an hour longer than I expected because my hip was causing issues, and theirs an wicked hill at the half way mark, so it slowed me way down.

Now I'm now ever going to suggest to anyone to have such an aggressive timeline to run a marathon, I was not as trained for it as I should have been, and I was suppose to have an extra hour to do it, but they cut an hour off due to the heat, but you can do it, just do it safely, don't push too hard, do it slow and steady, and don't hurt yourself
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member

So what is that, about NINE WEEKS or so to go from "3 miles with difficulty" and 50 pounds over weight to a half marathon? I am no doctor and no expert but that sounds overly aggressive to me.

I suspect if you plan is to walk much of it and your goal is to just finish, that could be done, but run all 13 miles based on where you are at? I am not sure that is a realistic target. I think you would be risking injury and burn out. I would suggest you set your sites on a 10k first.

Again, I would not call myself an expert, but I that just sounds too aggressive based on your self-declared fitness level.

Thanks for the honest feedback; it was what I was looking for. I could walk a lot of it and finish but I don't think I want that as my first half marathon experience. Additional thoughts are welcome.

http://www.baa.org/races/half-marathon/participant-information/~/media/Files/BAA/Races/Half Marathon/2017/Training Plans/level1_2017.pdf

You could try to follow the baa plan, which is 12 weeks. Or maybe Hal Higdon's novice plan.

I think trying to follow the mileage plan would be ok as long as you took it really slow. And don't bother with any speed/tempo running, just focus on building up a base. If it feels too hard repeat a week. Just drill in your head that it's not about pace it's about getting the mileage in - the slower the better.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @BruinsGal_91 That is the best thing to eat a Fenway.
    @RespectTheKitty and @skippygirlsmom I don't know why but my mother's phrase was "Jesus, Mary and Sweet Joseph" couldn't tell you why Joseph was sweet but she always added the adjective.
    @WandaVaughn I will also celebrate my 50th this year in November. 1967 was a great year.
    @PastorVincent congrats to your wife.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Hi, all. I can't believe I'm already late to the party. Thanks @stoshew71 for setting us up for another month. Hope August treats you more kindly.

Ha @PastorVincent I also like ketchup on my hot dogs along with relish or a pickle slice. I don't eat them often, but especially love them when camping.

Speaking of pickle . . . I got talked in to signing up for pickleball lessons in September/October. I'd never heard of it before and had to consult Google. Hope I'm not the worst at it!

I'll try for 75 again.

August 1: 3.4 km

MTD: 3.4 / 75 km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    @cburke8909 I'm sure we could have a nice conversation about Joseph and speculate why he's sweet.

I'd like to propose that it originally was Saint Joseph and because many christians don't do the saints, it was changed to sweet. I'm sure we all can see that Joseph went above and beyond as a father and husband.

I bet he also never ate a hot dog

Google/Wikipedia "(idiomatic) Expletive, used to add emphasis, particularly by Catholics."
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    @kevaasen There's a group on Strava for this challenge group, you might want to look it up.

He is already a member :)

But for everyone else here is the group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

thanks just requestsed to join
  • ARoe9410
    ARoe9410 Posts: 97 Member
    Goal: 50 miles
    8/1: 1.5 miles
    Remaining: 48.5 miles