August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I woke up early this morning and heard a sound I didn't recognize...what is that, could it be, nah...wait it is - RAIN! in So CA in August! What?!? Never! Even Hobbes the Vizsla was confused as he looked out the door.
    Initially I thought this would be wonderful, an amazing rain run morning! Even the meeting I had to be on first before running was cancelled, yay!
    I was so wrong... the rain stopped; it felt like sludge out and my cancelled meeting was replaced with a longer one right over my run time. I ran anyway through the yucky sludge air, listening to people droning away on the conference call instead of my music. It was so so boring not having my music and by the time I was home I was completely drenched (not from rain). It is supposed to be hotter tomorrow so I am happy I got it in today and I will enjoy my rest day tomorrow (inside in the air conditioning) :lol:

Oh and in other news I signed up for the SF HM again (2nd half this time), with my daughter... so now I have a race on my calendar nearly a year out!

ETA - @elise4270 we ran exactly the same distance today. Too bad it (549) isn't a Fibonacci or prime!

Date........Miles.......Total
    08/01......5.49........5.49 - + Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Omg @MNLittleFinn looks more like a rock climbing course!
  • Svnwitch
    Svnwitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options

blk-exercise.png

Changed my goal.. found an app I like for long term goals :)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Wk 7.31.17 - 8.6.17

M - 8.6 - Had to finish with a prime number for July. 241 miles total.
    T - 9.2 m. - Wasn't motivated, didn't want to run. Did it anyhow.
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -

Total - # miles. Goal is 60 miles this week.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Oh how difficult it is to run without music. Two years ago at the start of the Erie HM, my Sony's battery died! Oh my. What a challenge... but silence is better than having to listen to a conference call. :s But you got it done! Enjoy tomorrow and the SF HM coming up!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Getting really annoyed with my Garmin lagging way behind my treadmill pace. I did a fartlek session on the TM today and when I got below 10:00/mile, Garmin would say I was running at 11:00/mile. WTF? Get with it, Garmin.

Anyway, I ran 6.2 miles today but Garmin/Strava only says 5.7. A full half mile behind. Wow.

Had fun with the fartlek, though. Broke up my run into quarter-mile segments at various speeds, the fastest being 6.2 mph (for me, that's really effing fast).

August total so far - 6.2 / 100
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Goal is 75 again. Although now that I'm not traveling this month and will be cycling on the weekends may not make it. We'll see!

LOVE it when the 1st of the month falls on a running day!

8/1 - 4.1 miles - first day back for teachers.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes - I've been turribul for July - I was running, but just didn't post here (or even lurk/read).

Goal is 168.08 - made July by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin. Hopefully can add some miles this month to make up my shortfall in June (about 5 miles).

I'll prob try to go back and at least skim what I missed in July.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I joined the July challenge late, so I'm jumping into August first thing! I'm training for a half marathon set for 11/4/17. That also happens to be my 50th birthday!

So I'm using Hal Higdon's novice plan #2 for training. Started Week 3 yesterday.

August goal: 74 miles
    So far: 3

Mine is 11/12/17 so we're just a week apart. Week two of my training plan - using one from Map My Run. It's kind of cool because it based my plan off my run history and does these 12-minute tests after which it adjusts.
    This is my first time doing a running challenge! I'm aiming for 80 miles; I have a 10k coming up at the end of August and have been seriously slacking on my training - it's just so stupidly humid outside. But I did my three miles this morning and didn't die, so, hooray!

LOL. Welcome! "Not dying" is usually my main goal! Good for you!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @shanaber, that's hilarious - running while on a conference call. If you can do that, is it really necessary? (I think about 90% of the one's I'm on are pointless and I would be better off running - would anyone even notice?)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Honestly suddenly my company is blocking Strava. I need a new job that's it!

Heh. I thought I was the only runner who quit his job (technically, retired) because it was threatening to interfere with running.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles

4/60 miles completed

I had a great run today. It was only 70°F and it rained lightly the whole time. I don't have much experience running in rain. We don't get a lot of rain and when we do it is usually accompanied by hail and lightning and wind. So it was fun and I really enjoyed it. I hope the rest of August will be good too.

exercise.png

• dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to shoot for 50 miles this month. I need to start getting it in gear if I plan on doing a half in November.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 9.06 warm up + speed work

August total to date – 9.06

Nominal challenge goal: 260 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward the Rochester Marathon. Win my age group at Pound the Ground 10K on August 9. Run a respectable sub-20 5K at Bergen on August 12. Run the USATF Masters Mile (road) in under 6 minutes on August 25.

Today's notes – I'm in a bit of hypochondriac mode again. The Achilles niggle seemed worse this morning. I made sure to do my cone touches, and mostly rested during the day. Went to club practice, not knowing if I'd abort it in the middle of a workout.

August 1 is a continuation of sucky July weather. It was 81º F (27º C) with 70% relative humidity for this evening's workout. My hat and shirt were sopping wet after a 2 mile warm up and some relatively easy dynamic stretching drills. Coach put up workouts for people running the Flint Mile (on my race list) and Bergen 5K (on my race list). Both of those featured a lot of work at R pace. R pace scares me right now; it's the kind of thing that can exacerbate my Achilles issue. T pace might be okay.

Today's assignment in the marathon training plan was 8 x Yasso 800's, where you run 800m in minutes:seconds equal to your hours:minutes marathon goal time, with same time recovery. That requires me to have a marathon goal time.

I had thought about this last week, and 7:25 Garmin pace seemed reasonable as a marathon pace target for this training cycle. I know that Garmin has called every marathon I've completed about 26.4 miles, so I took 7:24 pace (easier to do the math) as 7.4 minutes * 26.4 miles = 195.36 minutes = 3:15:22. Okay, I'll target 3:15 for the Yasso's. By sheer coincidence, that's right at the T pace I target on a track. No question here. I'll follow the marathon training plan, and just run as well as I can at Bergen and Flint without workouts specific to the 5K or mile distance.

Coach pointed a new member who was trying to learn to pace intervals on a track at me. He has running experience from high school, but had not done a lot of interval work on a track. And he was only going to do 6 of the 800s. But it was different to have someone close to my own pace to run with. In the 5th 800, he provided the boost to keep me up to pace when I might have faded. In the 6th, he provided a situation where I needed the discipline to let him run away from me because he was running faster than my target. By then, I could bring the 7th and 8th 800s in close enough.

Results: The first 800 was too fast, at 3:08. I overcompensated and was a bit slow on the 2nd, at 3:18. The rest of them came in between 3:12 and 3:15, quite acceptable.

As I was walking around the track afterward to cool down, I remarked to a team mate that there was no way I would do this workout in this weather without the club. And that's true. It's why I joined the club, to have peer pressure that would get me to actually *do* the speed work. It's worked, even though right now I'm too much of a hypochondriac to do the workouts most of my team mates were doing.

Just have to remember, the most important goal is to avoid injury. If I do no workouts specific to the mile distance, stay health, and run the Flint mile in 6 minutes, that's better than attempting intervals at R that add up to 2 miles, getting injured, and being unable to run Flint at all.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY)
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY)
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey @shanaber is it just too odd that 89 miles is 144km and they are both Fibonacci numbers? It's like the universe left a "hi there" for nerdy runners!

ETA OMG! 144 miles is 233km. I've cracked the code to the universe! Lol!

Aww 233m is not quite 377km... :disappointed:

Not quite a coincidence. The Golden Ratio is an irrational number that the Fibonacci series approximates closer as the numbers get higher (i.e., 144/89 is closer to the Golden Ratio than 8/5), and [one mile] / [one kilometer] is approximately the Golden Ratio. But it's not exact, because the kilometer wasn't designed deliberately to be in that relationship with a mile.

I'll have to Google that. Thanks for the info!

Welcome @dudasd1973 !

@shanaber great minds think alike? Or we've some how synced through a complex telepathic Fibonacci sequence.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am sooo far behind- but- after some speed reading:

To whomever is targeting their first half in October. Some input from a fellow half marathon newbie. I just ran my first half in June ... well ran 10 min/walk 1min my first half. Yesterday I did 6 miles of run walk intervals despite being on the injured reserve. I have a friend who has been trying to talk me into a half in late October since before my June one (i wisely told her to wait and see if I lived thru the first one)... and even with knowing I am capable of half the necessary distance, if injury was better today, I would question my ability to be truly ready for an October half. I would live... but I probably wouldn't enjoy it. (Well at least not the 2nd half of it)

In other news... y'all have me craving hot dogs to a crazy level. When I get done with my work travel this week... I may have to satisfy this silly craving... I tend to be in the no bun club if left to my own devices... the protein is the important part anyways!

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 6.1
    8/1- 4.2

Total: 10.3

August Goal: Not die while ramping up running mileage and technicality during 100K training
    Nominal mileage goal: 250 miles

Evening notes: Went out for 4 easy. This will be quite a few days, harder short to medium (4-6 miles)trail run in the morning, and a short to medium run in the evening kind of as a recovery run. HR was a little higher on average than I'd like (152) but I kept myself in z2 for the vast majority of the run, so it's OK.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey