August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Omg @MNLittleFinn looks more like a rock climbing course!

well..... it would look flatter if it were to scale.... 700 feet top to bottom, and 60 miles long.......
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    8/1/17 - 3.01 miles treadmill before weight lifting.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM (Maybe)
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Took some time off in July with a long vacation, but I am still on track for my year running total goal. I am aiming for 90 miles in August. My new running watch and heart rate monitor just arrived today (but I am not able to go for a run until Thursday due to work/call) so I will have to wait until then. Surely the new tech will help motivate me.

Love seeing all the posts - all 7 pages of them even though it is August 1st!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My plans for a run were foiled due to car troubles. I may have to skip my run tomorrow so I can replace the alternator in my wife's truck.

0/100 miles
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it. August 1 and I am 7 pages behind.

Goal is 60 miles again. I was short 6 miles last month, but this month I will get it.

After returning from Grand Rapids, which is a beautiful city with a lot of genuinely friendly people, I had to work the next 3 nights, and was unable to complete my July goal.

Just finished working 3 night shifts in a row. 4 hours of sleep. Then meeting with my manager for my annual performance review. (She is the same manager who fired my friend. However, she is leaving the nursing profession to get married and move to Thailand.) Also had scheduled a mandatory in-service for the same day. I had planned to run in between these meetings but the first meeting was late due to poor time management on the part of the manager. Luckily the rain was supposed to be over later in the afternoon and it cooled the temperature enough to make the run pleasant.

I forgot my usual running toys, my stopwatch, my music. I am pretty sure that I was running in the zone. Originally wanted to run 4 miles, but I felt pretty good (after the first mile) and changed my mind to get the 6.

August 1....6 miles.
    goal----60 miles.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey @shanaber is it just too odd that 89 miles is 144km and they are both Fibonacci numbers? It's like the universe left a "hi there" for nerdy runners!

ETA OMG! 144 miles is 233km. I've cracked the code to the universe! Lol!

Aww 233m is not quite 377km... :disappointed:

Not quite a coincidence. The Golden Ratio is an irrational number that the Fibonacci series approximates closer as the numbers get higher (i.e., 144/89 is closer to the Golden Ratio than 8/5), and [one mile] / [one kilometer] is approximately the Golden Ratio. But it's not exact, because the kilometer wasn't designed deliberately to be in that relationship with a mile.

I'll have to Google that. Thanks for the info!

Welcome @dudasd1973 !

@shanaber great minds think alike? Or we've some how synced through a complex telepathic Fibonacci sequence.
    Definitely this!! #runningnerdsunite!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Taking it easy in August as I have not been able to cross 100 km last month (Ran 80 km) and setting the goal of 75 km. Main focus would be weightlifting this month for me. Good luck to everyone with their goals!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am back for August. Sorry to have bailed on July's challenge. With trying to ease back into running while still rehabbing my hamstring as well as trying to add proper cross training and strength training and everything into the mix, I just felt like I was spinning my wheels with no clear direction. I needed to take a step back and re-evaluate my long term goals and get a good handle on how to get there. July ended up being a good time to do this because it was so darn busy with things in my personal life. I did manage to run around 80 miles last month (plus quite a few more if you include the ones I did not track spent running with my doggie), but most of those were just head out and see where it takes me type miles, which, in my opinion, can be really good for the soul. I tried to keep up with the thread for a while, but you guys are just too prolific! It ended up being a useless effort and I gave up when we went on vacation in the second week.

So, as I mentioned, I have been looking ahead for some serious long term and short term direction. I have the Bourbon Chase relay coming up in October, which was never intended to be a serious "race" as agreed upon by my team, although I will probably be assigned one of the toughest two legs of the challenge, so maybe I am underestimating how trained I will need to be. I also started thinking slightly beyond that for a half marathon to gauge where I can be compared with last year if I introduce some proper speed work back into my regimen. I think I am ready for it.

My niece lives in Charlotte and is wanting to run the Charlotte Half-marathon as her first half marathon in November. I told her that I would join her. The results form last year indicate that I could have easily won my age group by several minutes and could have taken second female in the masters division, so I thought it sounded like a pretty good goal to strive for.

Beyond that, I would also like to do a spring marathon. First I will have to wait and see if my time from Boston this year is good enough to get me back there. If, by some chance it is, I told my husband that I plan on applying for Big Sur through the Boston to Big Sur entry. This will be a difficult challenge since they are only two weeks apart, but Big Sur has always been a bucket list of mine and is a pretty hard lottery to win. However, chances of getting in go up dramatically if you run Boston and commit to running both of those marathons. If, by some chance, that actually became a reality, I would be walking a good deal of that marathon and soaking up all of the beautiful scenery! If my BQ time does not hold up, I think I will do the Flying Pig for the third time. It is the 20th anniversary and they are planning to give commemorative jackets to all of the finishers of the full marathon. Given that it is my hometown race and first full marathon, I think that would be a pretty cool thing to have.

Sorry so long winded, but I just wanted to get that all down in writing since it has been churning over in my mind. Glad to be getting (really) back into the swing of things. I missed you guys! Also happy to see some old friends back this month: @7lenny7 , @kristinegift and @5512bf. Can't wait to get back on track with you!

Oh, going to set a goal of 100 miles for this month. Planning on 4 days running per week in August and hopefully ramping up to 5 in September. Also planning on sticking with the P90X3 and strength training on my running days (except my long run) and swimming on 2 of my non-running days. That's my plan and I'm (hopefully) sticking to it!

@lporter229 So good to see you again!!

I love your goals!! Awesome as ever. Best wishes for July and the rest of the year.

I'm planning my first marathon at the end of August. I had a glute/hamstring problem for 6 months, and it was fixed early last month by two sessions of deep tissue massage a week apart. Amazing!

Will look forward to hearing more from you.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    August Running Challenge
    Goal: 75 km
    Ran: 3/75

2/8/17 Run 3 km + SL A
    1/8/17 walk 4km

SL~Strong Lift
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 6.1
    8/1- 4.2
    8/2- 6.1

Total: 16.4

August Goal: Not die while ramping up running mileage and technicality during 100K training
    Nominal mileage goal: 250 miles

Today's notes: 6.1 miles at 9:26 pace, average HR 151. In z1 and z2 90% of the run. Run felt good. Today was an easy day, tomorrow is another double, with 3-4 on the ski hills in the AM.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    If anyone here likes to take surveys, McMillan Running has one out:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGynitD3z6lUXhW_aPMbfYM_IM5h5xJCUQ5wfq_PwCPs1Ahw/viewform

Email from them: "We are excited to be working on something new that McMillan runners have been asking from us. In a couple of weeks I will be revealing our new program. I'm very excited about it and I know you are going to love it.

As we work on the finishing pieces, I want to make sure it has everything you, as a runner, need because ultimately my goal is to help you reach your running goals. So, I need your help!

I have a few quick questions that will help us gauge where you are with your running and where you want to go. This will allow me to make a few final decisions and tweaks to the program before the big reveal.

Please take a minute (literally) and fill out this quick survey. It's painless, I promise, and will be very helpful for me."