August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - When you show that course that way, it looks like a cool art project. 60 mile out and back?

Roughly 60 miles, it's a 100k, but closer to 60 than the 62 for full 100k... trail races are a little harder to get certified distance... yeah, out and back on the south end of the Superior Hiking Trail
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 you get the emails too? I got that one this morning and sent it in.
    @garygse nice start to the month!
    @BruinsGal_91 what's your race? Sorry if I missed you posting it!
    @kristinegift nice way to start the month!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I got in an 8 miler this am. Trying to get my regular run up to 9-10. Felt good stayed in zone 2 for all but the steep part of the largest hill.
    @KatieJane83 survey is just a few questions and it will take almost no time to complete
    @BruinsGal_91 Wow! you saw a great game. Did you stay till the end? Bet there were a few empty seats for the ninth. I was there to see the walk-off BB against the Yankee's last month. That might have been the best game until last night.

exercise.png
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - it's a small local 5k. Probably no more than 200 runners, so depending on who turns up, I might place in my age group.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @cburke8909 nice run this morning!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 - one of the best games I've been to. I thought they'd blown it, but what a comeback! And that catch by Austin Jackson was phenomenal.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @kristinegift - 250?!? Back with a vengeance!

@karllundy Well most months so far this year have been in the 100-120 zone. Last month was just over 150. And now I'm finally getting off my butt and actually training :D We'll see how my body feels getting back to last fall's training volume!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 is it sad that I was disappointed the survey wasn't longer? #nerdrunner
  • cburke8909
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I was. I thought they were looking for some pertinent information. Came off a little more as a marketing but hopefully it was an interest in what will help runners best.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    Thanks @KatieJane83 the first article should help me get back to my strength training. I've been slacking and I know that is not good.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ditto @cburke8909 and thanks @KatieJane83 I need to start some circuit training again. This is the fella I followed a few years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiP5W0Q8VF31tde9Ek7GamA

4 miles in the heat this am. Gotta get out there earlier tomorrow. Planning on 6 tomorrow and 10 for the long run this weekend
    Total 7.22/ Month Goal 90
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Hit my mid-week 4 miles today. So:
    7 miles done
    67 to go!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 and @JimCrackinDandy yup, same here. I really need to make sure I'm consistent about it, and I've been really bad with it lately. Finally got to the gym last night, and did some good strength training. Now to just keep up the habit!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    August Goal - 120 Miles

8/1/17 - 4.02 Easy
    8/2/17 - 4.15 Easy

Total 8.17 of 120

Pretty much a copy / paste from yesterday's run. Going to see alot of 4-6 mile runs over the next few weeks while i get back into the swing of things.

There was a conversation about someone wanting to run a half in October and not being able to run a 5k without breaks. Personally I think that is a bad idea. A lot of 1st time half marathon attempts end with a miserable final 3-4 miles, and most of those people were probably more ready than someone who is 50lbs overweight and just starting to get back into running. I'd have to assume the majority of the run part of the run walk intervals is the in the threshold or higher range. Not to be the wet noodle but I fear that experience will be painful and miserable, and most likely lead to an injury. I think focusing on fitness running for health and getting closer to a healthy weight would be a better option, then starting to train for something.