August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    8/1- Bike day (but those miles don't count here)
    8/2- 4+ morning run...I hate mornings

Total: 4 / 70

On another note...my feet hurt! My left more than right, and mostly in the heel. It doesn't bother me at all when I'm not on my feet, but after I've been sitting for a while (at my desk or in the morning) and get up it's the worst. I'm thinking it's due to my being 30+lbs higher than normal. I'm stretching more than I did in the past. Any thoughts?

(For context I've been out of "training" for 2ish years. Prior to that I was an avid Iron-distance triathlete. I'm wearing the same running shoe I wore 2 years ago. No, not the same pair...I bought 3 pairs.)

Could be one of two things... either your plantar fascia or your achilles. I had Plantar fasciitis several years ago, got so bad I had to have surgery. The pain is in the middle of the heel and is always 10,000 times worse after you've been sitting for a while or asleep and then you get up. (I was also seriously overweight when I had Plantar fasciitis, and had a job that had me on my feet 10+ hours a day.)

If the pain is in the back of the heel, it's probably the achilles. That's what I'm dealing with right now. And again, the pain seems to be worse after I've been sitting for a while, but it also hurts somewhat when I move around.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT A DOCTOR. This is just my best guess based on my own experiences. If the pain gets too much for you to deal with, please do see your physician or PT.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Could be one of two things... either your plantar fascia or your achilles. I had Plantar fasciitis several years ago, got so bad I had to have surgery. The pain is in the middle of the heel and is always 10,000 times worse after you've been sitting for a while or asleep and then you get up. (I was also seriously overweight when I had Plantar fasciitis, and had a job that had me on my feet 10+ hours a day.)

If the pain is in the back of the heel, it's probably the achilles. That's what I'm dealing with right now. And again, the pain seems to be worse after I've been sitting for a while, but it also hurts somewhat when I move around.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT A DOCTOR. This is just my best guess based on my own experiences. If the pain gets too much for you to deal with, please do see your physician or PT.

Thanks! I was thinking plantar fasciitis as well. It's not too bad, goes away quickly with some stretching, and doesn't bother me when I run. I already have orthotics, so it looks like icing and stretching even more, along with some weight loss, will help.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    8/1- Bike day (but those miles don't count here)
    8/2- 4+ morning run...I hate mornings

Total: 4 / 70

On another note...my feet hurt! My left more than right, and mostly in the heel. It doesn't bother me at all when I'm not on my feet, but after I've been sitting for a while (at my desk or in the morning) and get up it's the worst. I'm thinking it's due to my being 30+lbs higher than normal. I'm stretching more than I did in the past. Any thoughts?

(For context I've been out of "training" for 2ish years. Prior to that I was an avid Iron-distance triathlete. I'm wearing the same running shoe I wore 2 years ago. No, not the same pair...I bought 3 pairs.)

I'm going to ask for further clarification on just where in the heal since several things come to mind.

@MNLittleFinn You are just amazing!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 what makes me amazing this time?
  • Elise4270
    Options

Brownies
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Brownies

They were GOOD
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Brownies

They were GOOD

Just good or REALLY good?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

Brownies

They were GOOD

Just good or REALLY good?

AMAZING
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/17 :::: 5.5 :::: 5.5
    08/02/17 :::: 2.4 :::: 7.9

Tonight's run was within a longer walk with my dog, Stella. Not fast, or far but some time on my feet. We covered 5.82 miles total (run + walk) though, so that was pretty good, especially for a weeknight outing.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I'm going to ask for further clarification on just where in the heal since several things come to mind.

@Elise4270 it's on the bottom of my foot. Specifically right where the heel meets mid foot/arch.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 9.06 warm up + speed work
    8/2 – unplanned rest day

August total to date – 9.06

Nominal challenge goal: 260 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward the Rochester Marathon. Win my age group at Pound the Ground 10K on August 9. Run a respectable sub-20 5K at Bergen on August 12. Run the USATF Masters Mile (road) in under 6 minutes on August 25.

Today's notes – The original plan for today was 6.5 miles. I could have got them either with the group run this evening, or by doing a course preview then running the first 5K in the Innovative Edge Cross Country series this evening. But I got up this morning, and that pesky right Achilles niggle was just ever so slightly worse than it was yesterday morning.

True, I ran Yassos yesterday evening. But still . . . I'm thinking it's time to back off a bit. The problem is that I have a stack of races coming up, all of which are at least moderately important. So, I took today as a rest day. In the grand scheme of things, being 6.5 miles short of target this week won't matter for my marathon. Running 6.5 miles and turning a niggle into an injury would matter a lot.

So this evening I went to Cobb's Hill Park where the Innovative Edge XC is held, and asked what needed doing that didn't need any particular skill. Ended up being a course marshall and picking up some of the flags from the course when the runners had all past that section. As a plus, I wasn't running in the heat and humidity, and by the time I got done it had cooled off quite a bit.

I'll see how tomorrow goes. If the niggle is still bad, I'll want to do most of my running on soft trails. If one rest day has magically improved it to where it was before Karknocker 5K, I'll want to run roads with hills.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY)
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY)
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • MrBTX
    MrBTX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in for at least 50. I'm at 6 so far
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    8/1/17 - 3.01 miles treadmill before weight lifting.
    8/2/17 - 6.13 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM (Maybe)
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options

@Elise4270 it's on the bottom of my foot. Specifically right where the heel meets mid foot/arch.

Well. First I apologise if the image I post is useless. I'm on Android and it seems incompatible with mfp. Second, I apologise for your injury and the potential (not a doctor) diagnosis.

Third I'd recommend to any interested runner a book by Jordan Metzl, Running Strong.

Seems to be a bit of plantar fasciitis. Hopefully it's caught early enough that it doesn't mean too much down time.

w6ovvf98ravz.jpg

ETA... Wow that actually posted...

• Elise4270
    Options
    nm36maf9asaf.jpg
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles
    8/2: 3.1 miles

7.1/60 miles completed

Nice run tonight. It was a little humid and not as cool as yesterday, but 82°F in August is ok with me. Tomorrow should be a rest day. I'm driving my mom to Dallas again to see the doctor so most of the day will be spent in the car. Hopefully we will get home early enough to at least take the dogs to the park for a walk.

exercise.png