August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sure logic @PastorVincent !!! I'm hoping to be ready for a marathon on Veterans Day in Blairsville. http://www.active.com/blairsville-pa/running/distance-running-races/indiana-first-bank-veteran-s-marathon-2017?int=72-3-A9
    Seems like it wouldn't be to far away from you. It's only $40. Just saying :#

I had a similar situation @BruinsGal_91 the evening before last. Goal was to do 4 miles, 2 up a gravel road and then 2 down it. Well... The "down it" part was the issue. My knees were shot in no time. Called it quits at 3.22 miles and my lovely husband came and got me for the short distance home. <3 Totally agree that you did the right thing by stopping early before an injury developed. Today my knees were fine! Praise God!
  • Maureen301
    Maureen301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 miles tonight.
  • bonniegarbal
    bonniegarbal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not counting but walked 4 miles today.

Do you count walks? I don't. I use walks for active rest days. If I did count walk mileage, I might need to double my goal.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @Irontri7 - I can recommend this yoga stretch. I have been doing it for a long while now, ever since I tore my fascia a couple of years ago. It helped and I believe continues to help immensely as I haven't had any additional problems once it healed. I also do other stretches for my feet and calves that probably help too but this one seemed to make the most difference for me. It was recommended by my sports chiro who treated the torn fascia.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/toes-pose
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Andy504 wrote: »
    I'm new to running, been dipping my toes into it for about a week or so, so I'm going to go light with my goal of 30 miles this month. Hope to up it soon. Today I ran my first mile without stopping and I hope to do that again and again this month!

Absolutely brilliant. Well done ☺️
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Not counting but walked 4 miles today.

Do you count walks? I don't. I use walks for active rest days. If I did count walk mileage, I might need to double my goal.

The goal is totally personal, so you count what you want to count. That being said traditionally "walking" is not "running" so if your goal is to "run" so many miles, you should only count the miles where you actually run. But again this is totally a personal choice that depends on your fitness and your fitness goals.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Sure logic @PastorVincent !!! I'm hoping to be ready for a marathon on Veterans Day in Blairsville. http://www.active.com/blairsville-pa/running/distance-running-races/indiana-first-bank-veteran-s-marathon-2017?int=72-3-A9
    Seems like it wouldn't be to far away from you. It's only $40. Just saying

Thanks, but that is on a Sunday. I can only do Saturday or night races. As a pastor, my Sunday's are taken. :smile: I take the one Sunday a year for the Pittsburgh Marathon, and that is it for races.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    August Running Challenge
    Goal: 75 km
    Ran: 11/ 75

3/8/17 Run 8 km
    2/8/17 Run 3 km + SL A
    1/8/17 walk 4km

SL~Strong Lift
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    This morning's run went well. 3 miles breezed by!
    August total: 10 miles
    64 more to go!

Great running! You're well on your way to meeting/exceeding your goal!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would've taken a $10 race too- racing is the best!

@MNLittleFinn sounds like a good day of hill intervals! Glad only your Achilles were off today!

So my husband has been working late this week which has resulted in 3AM runs in an absurd amount of fog. My pace today was pretty decent considering I could only see about five feet in front of me for a while. I amused myself heartily when I triggered the speed reader a few streets up from the house- 12km/hour baby :D (stop laughing Usain Bolt!). Now that I know I can set it off I am so taking a picture next time haha!

August 1- 13.4
    August 2- 17.3
    August 3- 16.5

47.2/420
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I love setting off the speed readers. Your 3am runs are insane! I need at least 6 hours sleep, and I'm often up to 2200.... you're awesome.

Achilles are always a little sore after ski hill runs, not as much downtime between steep climbs, but they never bug me while running, so it's mainly a recovery issue.

How's your ankle ?