August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    8.3 very slow comfortable miles this am. My training only call for 10 as my long run tomorrow. Any clue as to the record for number of pages in a month. We are at 14, it's the 4th and the day just began.
    exercise.png

Last August 4th early in the day we were at 13 pages. :wink:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 6.1
    8/1- 4.2
    8/2- 6.1
    8/3- 4.5
    8/3- 6
    8/4- 8.1

Total: 35

August Goal: Not die while ramping up running mileage and technicality during 100K training
    Nominal mileage goal: 250 miles

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Having spent the last several weeks either on trail, or running easy I'm looking at adding speedwork back in, since I seem to be doing better keeping my HR down on my easy runs. I know that for what I am training for, speedwork isn't "necessary" but I can feel that I am slower because of the time away from faster running. This sin't necessarily bad, since my cardio is going good. I just want to get some more speed back... still pondering it and thinking about 80/20 a lot.....

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    @Andy504 welcome!
    @girlinahat, hugs to you - hope you're ok from the crash and so sorry about the loss of your pet. Losing pets is so hard.

This morning's run was a quick 3 miles. My training plan had me warm up for 10 minutes, run 12 minutes at my fastest pace, and then cool down for 10 minutes. But then the app didn't even tell me what my split pace was for those 12 minutes, just for the entire miles. That's dumb.

August totals: 7.19 / 75

Are you using MapMyFitness? That's what I used at the beginning of the year. It was a good training program but definitely needs work! I can't do a good interval unless you tell me when to start and stop!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I have no idea what my legs measure anymore honestly but I have proportionally pretty big calves now whereas I didn't a year ago (loss versus maintenance truths :/ ). My quads are also beginning to make my pants annoying.

zxqy0znus9bv.jpg

My husband has said stuff too, I just roll with it- my big *kitten* calves take me great places, yours do too! Do whatever leg work makes you happy and love them legs my dear- I'm sure your husband is pro whatever you've got!

So my new Saucony Hurricanes came today...they are so freaking nice! I can't wait to run them hard tomorrow...but I also want to run Wilmore tomorrow which would require my Nomads. Why can't I just run everything in one pair of shoes without obliterating them? Haha

Yay! I love my Hurricanes. I'm still on the #1 model, but when these are done I may upgrade to the latest.

I've got big *kitten* calves too. Skinny jeans are a no-no for me, and I can't wear normal boots, I have to find the extra-wide fit. It used to to bother me that I couldn't wear skimpy little dresses like all my friends did, but now I don't care.

I've been a good girl and have been resting my sore calf since tweaking it on Wednesday. I've been stretching, massaging and icing, and it feels much better. I'm still planning on running my race tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be going for the age-group placing I was aiming for.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Oh. My. Gosh!
    I just finished registering for a half marathon.
    Me.
    A half marathon!
    November 4, 2017, here I come!
    *trembles at her own daring*

I'm running my first one in November also. Crazy stuff...but very exciting! You got this!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    All you ladies bemoaning your large calves: Stop that right now! Large calves are attractive. They mean you have a well-developed gastrocnemius, and you can run. This is a survival trait. You don't need to out-run the bear, you only need to out-run the fashion model with skinny calves.

Yes, I am guilty of scoping out who I can outrun in the event of a zombie attack!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)

(August miles) 15.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Irontri7 What did you and your foot decide about running, cross training and rest?

My husband has shin splints but has chosen to go back to his old shoe and continue running. So I guess it's not that bad, and I was hoping yours would still allow some training. And we love having you here. (I didn't run for 4-6 months and still stopped in to bother support and learn from the group.

I'm up early. No running today. Saturday and Sunday are longer runs and I don't want to start out on tired legs- nerve niggle anyway. I went to bed at 2030 and woke without being exausted.

DH turns it down to 65f/18c at night. Which would be great sleeping, but he takes all the blankets and I'm left with something 30 years old that's thin and has holes. And I think my fat cat is annoying at that time because she's cold and won't sleep. Or shes just a kitten! Oh I get it MFP...

I threatened to get sleeping bag last week. Think I'll just have to do that. DH already has 2-3 blankets if I add another, he might take it. Well he won't if it's the thin holy one. Good luck taking my sleeping bag.

@Elise4270 I haven't made any real decisions I guess. It doesn't bother me once I start running, just after down time. I've been stretching a lot and doing more specific stuff for it. Even tried out the yoga @shanaber recommended! I think it will get better as I get back into shape and lose some weight. If it gets worse I'll definitely see a doctor. Until then I'll keep training and running. I did a mile last night then walked 3.5 with my better half and it's not too bad today.

I've dealt with shin splints! I got arch supports (which I've started using again to hopefully help my fascia) and they helped a bit, but what really did it was when I went to a running guru who said I was heal striking in front of my body. Added a bit of a forward lean and mid-foot striking and the shin splints went away.

8/1- Bike day
    8/2- 4+
    8/3- 1 (after a bike - first brick since 2015!)

Total: 5 / 70

5-6 planned for later depending on this stupid heat and humidity!
  • Irontri7
    Options

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless A full - congrats.
    I love my January HM's. It's like you are starting out the Running year.
    For me it usually means snow and ice covered roads/trails - no concern about excessive heat or humidity.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Reminds me, im planning to run a LTHR test so I need to get a new chest strap HRM, new Garmin has the option of a finding LTHR, but requires a chest strap HRM, and my old one isn't compatible.
  • Irontri7
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Awesome! High LTHR. I've never had my run actually tested (nor done it myself), just based it off my bike test. Planning to do them both as soon as I can withstand the workout!