August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    6 miles today, stayed off gravel- knees appreciated that ;)
    Hoping for 10 miles (long run) this weekend.
    13.22/90 for month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 great job on the hill repeats!
    @JimCrackinDandy nice run!
    @Dcorrick nice running! finding good pace is diffucult, maybe try going a bit slower and see if you can maintain it.
    @marikaCL Great job getting out there and running! Just remember to be careful when the running is causing pain, sometimes it's just recovery from the run, but sometimes it's more... it takes a while to learn the difference.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Well. First I apologise if the image I post is useless. I'm on Android and it seems incompatible with mfp. Second, I apologise for your injury and the potential (not a doctor) diagnosis.

Third I'd recommend to any interested runner a book by Jordan Metzl, Running Strong.

Seems to be a bit of plantar fasciitis. Hopefully it's caught early enough that it doesn't mean too much down time.

w6ovvf98ravz.jpg

ETA... Wow that actually posted...
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Irontri7 - I can recommend this yoga stretch. I have been doing it for a long while now, ever since I tore my fascia a couple of years ago. It helped and I believe continues to help immensely as I haven't had any additional problems once it healed. I also do other stretches for my feet and calves that probably help too but this one seemed to make the most difference for me. It was recommended by my sports chiro who treated the torn fascia.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/toes-pose
    Thanks for the info!! Always helpful to hear others' input.

@Elise4270 Are those pics of the book Running Strong?

@shanaber Guess it might be time to give yoga a shot! Considering doing yoga for 6 years but not actually doing it is probably long enough, right? ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    1/8 c25k week1 Day 1 (run 60 walk 90 x 8)
    2/8 gym and treadmill run
    3/8 open-water swim training

notes - redoing c25k is a good way of checking niggles. My shoes were rubbing on the top, so socks next time, and both calf muscles and my right hamstring are playing up. But this is the first real day back trying to get some consistency so will keep an eye on it. The other good thing is that I managed to keep my heart rate at a low level the whole time.

so, Tuesday evening I managed to crash my car on the way home from work. So my morning run was changed to a walk-briskly-to-car-hire place, and an evening gym session inserted to de-stress. Was already feeling down after our beloved guinea pig died on Sunday and I'd had to take the body for cremation to the vet.

Things I have learnt this week - I don't like it when the gym is busy, especially not when I am slightly unsure of what I am doing training wise.
    Second thing I have learnt. Five minutes on the dreadmill is enough isn't it?
    third thing I have learnt - I may need more sleep. I overslept by a couple of HOURS this morning and was only woken by the bodywork place calling to pick up my bashed in car.

races planned - none. Hmmm. What's that about?
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I would've taken a $10 race too- racing is the best!

@MNLittleFinn sounds like a good day of hill intervals! Glad only your Achilles were off today!

So my husband has been working late this week which has resulted in 3AM runs in an absurd amount of fog. My pace today was pretty decent considering I could only see about five feet in front of me for a while. I amused myself heartily when I triggered the speed reader a few streets up from the house- 12km/hour baby :D (stop laughing Usain Bolt!). Now that I know I can set it off I am so taking a picture next time haha!

August 1- 13.4
    August 2- 17.3
    August 3- 16.5

47.2/420

It's even better on the bike when you get "caught" speeding!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s
    8/2 6miles 60m:39s
    8/3 5miles 46m:32s

Went out at 6:45 this morning and it was a cloudy 70 degrees - perfect! Pushed myself a little and had negative splits, which I think is a good thing.

I'm debating running my long run tomorrow morning or waiting until Saturday morning. There is the potential for scattered showers Saturday morning, but every time I move around my long run due to weather it never actually rains the morning I was supposed to go.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat sorry to hear about your car crash. Could be just stress that had you over sleeping. Hope it all works out fine. I assume there were no injuries as you did not mention any.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    8/1: 3.1
    8/3: 4.0

Total: 7.1/44

Even though I felt great and ready to run all day yesterday, I was not feeling it when I got up this morning. I'd eaten at maintenance the last two days, so did not eat anything before heading out. Had to reboot my phone before it would find GPS. Eventually I was trotting along happily enough, and after the second mile I was thinking about how I could get more distance without skipping my cooldown.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn

Thank you. ☺️

Yes, am definitely being aware of it. I think is just a bit tender as I had so long off running and there is still a little healing going on.

Will get my physio to make sure is all good.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom nice running this morning!
    @kristinegift Hope your hip flexor stops giving you trouble, and that your day at the office goes better than you feared. Great job keeping at it this morning nonetheless!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @andy504 great job on the non stop mile!
    @bonniegarbal you can count whatever you want, I do not count walking in my total.
    @hanlonsk a mile is a mile is a mile 
    @JimCrackinDandy smart thinking on saving the knees or an injury
    @mobycarp hope is niggle is gone
    @kristinegift I was going to ask you yesterday how work was, perhaps I’ll wait another day. Nice job getting it done this morning.
    @PastorVincent the meme is me me!! I’m a bling *kitten*, yes I hate to admit it but I am.
    @bruinsgal_91 hope the calf is better soon
    @KatieJane83 feel bad *kitten* girl, that is bad *kitten*!
    @JessicaMcB I love the speed reader, I always wondered if I ran by one if it was trigger on or laugh
    @girlinahat are you okay? What an awful week you are having sorry about your guinea pig.
    @MNLittleFinn thanks!