August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Well. First I apologise if the image I post is useless. I'm on Android and it seems incompatible with mfp. Second, I apologise for your injury and the potential (not a doctor) diagnosis.

Third I'd recommend to any interested runner a book by Jordan Metzl, Running Strong.

Seems to be a bit of plantar fasciitis. Hopefully it's caught early enough that it doesn't mean too much down time.

w6ovvf98ravz.jpg

ETA... Wow that actually posted...
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Irontri7 - I can recommend this yoga stretch. I have been doing it for a long while now, ever since I tore my fascia a couple of years ago. It helped and I believe continues to help immensely as I haven't had any additional problems once it healed. I also do other stretches for my feet and calves that probably help too but this one seemed to make the most difference for me. It was recommended by my sports chiro who treated the torn fascia.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/toes-pose
    Thanks for the info!! Always helpful to hear others' input.

@Elise4270 Are those pics of the book Running Strong?

Yes they are.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    1/8 c25k week1 Day 1 (run 60 walk 90 x 8)
    2/8 gym and treadmill run
    3/8 open-water swim training

notes - redoing c25k is a good way of checking niggles. My shoes were rubbing on the top, so socks next time, and both calf muscles and my right hamstring are playing up. But this is the first real day back trying to get some consistency so will keep an eye on it. The other good thing is that I managed to keep my heart rate at a low level the whole time.

so, Tuesday evening I managed to crash my car on the way home from work. So my morning run was changed to a walk-briskly-to-car-hire place, and an evening gym session inserted to de-stress. Was already feeling down after our beloved guinea pig died on Sunday and I'd had to take the body for cremation to the vet.

Things I have learnt this week - I don't like it when the gym is busy, especially not when I am slightly unsure of what I am doing training wise.
    Second thing I have learnt. Five minutes on the dreadmill is enough isn't it?
    third thing I have learnt - I may need more sleep. I overslept by a couple of HOURS this morning and was only woken by the bodywork place calling to pick up my bashed in car.

races planned - none. Hmmm. What's that about?

Rough week, sorry to hear that! Ugh!

But, yes.. 5 mins on dreadmill == 1 hour of running outside. I am sure of it!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    QuanishaMC wrote: »
    I like this I have been getting up every morning and walking 2 to 3 miles a day looking to push myself every day to do more would love to be a part of this challenge

Welcome to the most insane thread on MFP! :smiley:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    1/8 c25k week1 Day 1 (run 60 walk 90 x 8)
    2/8 gym and treadmill run
    3/8 open-water swim training

notes - redoing c25k is a good way of checking niggles. My shoes were rubbing on the top, so socks next time, and both calf muscles and my right hamstring are playing up. But this is the first real day back trying to get some consistency so will keep an eye on it. The other good thing is that I managed to keep my heart rate at a low level the whole time.

so, Tuesday evening I managed to crash my car on the way home from work. So my morning run was changed to a walk-briskly-to-car-hire place, and an evening gym session inserted to de-stress. Was already feeling down after our beloved guinea pig died on Sunday and I'd had to take the body for cremation to the vet.

Things I have learnt this week - I don't like it when the gym is busy, especially not when I am slightly unsure of what I am doing training wise.
    Second thing I have learnt. Five minutes on the dreadmill is enough isn't it?
    third thing I have learnt - I may need more sleep. I overslept by a couple of HOURS this morning and was only woken by the bodywork place calling to pick up my bashed in car.

races planned - none. Hmmm. What's that about?

Rough week, sorry to hear that! Ugh!

But, yes.. 5 mins on dreadmill == 1 hour of running outside. I am sure of it!

Agreed with this. I'm pretty sure the dreadmill breaks the space-time continuum somehow.

Soooo, RoadID has new glitter bands. I might need to treat myself to one of them. I mean, I need to update a phone number on mine anyway, sooo, that's a good excuse, right???

cywaqn8ilyrs.jpg
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    6.1 trail miles last night while my son was at soccer tryouts. The highlight of the run was seeing two mink. The darted into the woods but one climbed a tree next to the trail and got about 12 feet off the ground before stopping to look at me. It was hissing as I took it's photo but it didnt' turn out good enough to bother posting.

I could tell the humidity was dropping ahead of the cold front moving in. It was 67F this morning and should be down to 55F by the time I run tonight, with light rain. Tonights run will be wonderful!

t96d3qk7r7bi.jpg

OMG, I want your temperatures!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    UMM. This is the elevation map for the 15k...

o9za82mqy48f.png

WHAT THE HECK is that at 1.82 miles? A rope climb? LOL
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)

Thunderstorms, crazy humidity, and a "pollen alert" due to Ragweed.... it was a stupid boring "dread"mill day today.

In other news, my half marathon in December has officially been upgraded to a full marathon...

(August miles) 12/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • smurph1968
    smurph1968 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @pastorvincent There is a reason the race fee was only $10. I think you just discovered it. I'm thinking some of you have enraged the dreadmill gods and are thus being punished by them. It's really not that different from running.

It is a well-established race that has been run for years. It is purely a fund raiser for the park so lots of donated help. :smiley:
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Do you count walks?

When I was doing C25K, and then the rest of that month, I had a "just runs" goal and a total mileage goal, which included warmup and cooldown walking, but not any walking on non-running days. I found that to be really helpful when I wasn't quite sure how much running I'd be able to do.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent it's a fundraiser for the park, that's a moral obligation to help not a compulsion to race. ;)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Hope your hip flexor stops giving you trouble, and that your day at the office goes better than you feared. Great job keeping at it this morning nonetheless!
    @kristinegift I was going to ask you yesterday how work was, perhaps I’ll wait another day. Nice job getting it done this morning.

@MNLittleFinn - Thanks! The run, while not a good one, has made work far more manageable this morning so far.

@skippygirlsmom Haha definitely wait until the weekend is looming!

& @KatieJane83 Those glitter bands... <3
  • KatieJane83
    edited August 2017
    Options
    & @KatieJane83 Those glitter bands... <3

Yeahhhh....I definitely just ordered myself one, lol, along with the updated face plate I ACTUALLY needed!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent it's a fundraiser for the park, that's a moral obligation to help not a compulsion to race. ;)

over here there are many 10k races that are only £10 or thereabouts. Some are run by local running clubs, in which case they are put on by volunteers and you won't get a medal or prize unless you are first place. But even some of the commercial races are still pretty cheap - there is one coming up that is £14 for unaffiliated runners, you will get a medal for that; and another which is £25 and you'll get an enormous medal and a goody bag with a few things in. Not necessarily a t-shirt - my HM we got a t-shirt and a medal, but other races got the medal plus the goody bag (jam, beer, cookies). Although on my HM a lot of the aid stations were manned by volunteers and there is a lot of unpaid behind-the-scenes work by mad runners.

The key thing I think that probably makes up the cost is - surface - trails don't require road closures (all the above are trail races) and police supervision
    prizes - most have medals and that is it. No t-shirt, no jacket. water only on the aid station or maybe a banana.

road races tend to be a bit more - my local road 10k is £30. For that you get as much boredom as you can take.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I'll ask again in a few days ha ha
    @katiejane83 oh I need one of those glitter bands.