August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ ugh. My calves are 33cm around and thighs 37. :disappointed: but.... I'm trying to convince myself it's fine. :smiley: Since there nothing I can do about it, naturally.

I'm hoping I just need to build quads.

ETA oh I'm measuring just 10 cm above the top of my knee cap. So that may be part of it.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 It's not your calves that require any convincing it's fine - it's my fat thighs >:) . My calves are 36cm around, but my thighs are 57cm at the widest point. 10cm above the knee cap they are "only" 48cm, but still...
    Feel free to show those numbers to your DH the next time he tells you not to do squats :tongue:

@girlinahat Awesome new shoes! I have a pair of Inov-8 shoes too (Terrafly 227), I like them a lot.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    How's your calf/thigh size? Mine is about 4 cm smaller than my thigh.

@Elise4270 My calves at their widest are almost the same circumference as my quad where it "squares" above my knee. I am right with you in the Big Calf Club!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    motifake-comm-hot-weather-what-dreadful-hot-weather-we-have-14065874.png

Like seriously, can summer be over already, please?
    I took my running things with me today to drive over to the mountains after work. It was 37°C (98°F) when I wanted to leave! At that point some colleagues started talking about cold beer, which sounded more fun than running in that heat, so I joined them for a small glass first and then killed enough time that it started to cool down outside.
    In the end, it was _only_ 33°C when I started running. Still too hot for my taste, so I chose the "tamest" of the three options I had to chose from, which is mostly paved road, lots of trees, and only 8% slope on average. Instead of going a predetermined distance, I decided I would just run uphill until all the water in my hydration pack was gone, then turn around and head back down. That happened to be after 7.3km, but in the end I added some little loops on the way back rather than taking the shortest way and ended up with 17km. Not bad for a horribly hot day!
    Thanks to my late departure, it was already starting to get dark in the end, and I saw a fox just before getting back to the village. It sat at the road and stared at me until I decided to try and take a photo, or course that's when it jumped up and ran away ^^ Still, even without the photo it was a nice way to end the run.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    I work tonight, and then my husband and I are packing to leave town for a few days. A visit with my mother on Saturday, my class reunion, followed by a drive to Iowa. My mother will be travelling with us. We are spending a couple of days with my older sister, but my mother will be there a couple of weeks. We would like to visit the Amana Colonies, but not sure whether to take my mother or not. (She is 89 y.o. and walks without a walker, but she is a very slow walker. She refuses to exercise to improve her stamina.) I am not sure she will be able to do very much walking. Has anyone been there? Is there a lot of walking involved?

There could be a lot of walking @ereck44. I haven't been for years, and probably just drove to one or two places per trip (restaurants/food mostly). But if you want to shop around and see several places you might be in for a fair amount of walking. If there are a few things you want to hit, you could drive from one to the other. Here's an interactive map if it helps:
    http://www.amanacolonies.com/interactive-map/?h=738

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,403 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @_nikkiwolf_ - My calves are 37cm and my thighs at the widest part are 48cm. I don't think I have big calves - I wear normal size boots, where my daughter has to buy wide topped boots (she has big calves). I also don't think my thighs are big. I wear a normal size 4 or 6 and they fit fine. I have had a couple of pairs of 'skinny' pants that would ride up around my calf though, when I sat down and would not come down easily.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 and @_nikkiwolf_ - My calves are 37cm and my thighs at the widest part are 48cm. I don't think I have big calves - I wear normal size boots, where my daughter has to buy wide topped boots (she has big calves). I also don't think my thighs are big. I wear a normal size 4 or 6 and they fit fine. I have had a couple of pairs of 'skinny' pants that would ride up around my calf though, when I sat down and would not come down easily.

Stop this RIGHT NOW!

My calf at the widest point - 38cm. My thigh at the widest point -58cm. My thigh 10cm above the knee - 45cm. I am not obese (technically overweight)

so I guess I win? :#
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Stop this RIGHT NOW!

My calf at the widest point - 38cm. My thigh at the widest point -58cm. My thigh 10cm above the knee - 45cm. I am not obese (technically overweight)

so I guess I win? :#

Sorry I think I beat you. My calf is 36cm and my thigh is 60cm measured 10cm above the knee. I did not have the heart to measure the widest point :frowning: I am considered obese but I am working to correct that.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I feel better about the whole "your calves are gargantuan" comment now. I snapped a pic and they're not horrible.... Sure my quads need help, which are 46 at the widest.

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your measurements. I don't feel like a goon from Popeye now.

@shanaber 80% humidity run! Yuck!!!
    1---5.49mi/ 8.85km
    3---4.23/ 6.82

Total 9.72/15.68
    Goal 89 miles/144 km

Upcoming races:

Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's 1 mile 10:04  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.01
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I've stuck to my training plan three days in a row! *is proud*

W00T!! You go! That is more than I usually do! :lol: Training plans rarely last the first mile in my world :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 you have several races thst are on my possible list for next year.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options

@Elise4270 Please tell me you are talking about radius, or measured in inches? I just checked, my thigh circumference at the largest is nearly 20cm larger than my calves. I'm down to my goal weight, ran more than a thousand km so far this year (and cycled 1600km more), do body-weight exercises as strength training twice per week, and they are still fat. I know I'll never ever be able to wear skinny jeans. I hate buying any kind of jeans at all because either they I can't pull them up over my thighs or *kitten*, and if I do, they are way too wide at the waist.
    ... sorry for the rant, but you asked :mrgreen:

I read a story about a woman that couldn't wear pants because her proportions didn't fit pants. She had some taylored when she landed a dream job and knew she's needed help with her professional wordrobe. (Kind of a nice problem to have). Before that she only wore skirts and dresses the story was great, wish I could remember where I read it years ago.

So, you should have some taylored :wink: Every thing that fits my waist is baggy in the butt/thighs. *Shrugs* I don't like tight clothes anyhow. May have some taylored when I land that dream job... :wink:

ETA of course, she was a runner
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Another thought on our legs after looking at @JessicaMcB's picture ^^^ ... When you think about it they are pretty damn amazingly muscular and well defined! I don't think any of us should be embarrassed about showing them off, running scars and all. You worked hard for those muscles and the scars are badges from your runs!! Be proud of those legs and what they can do!

Exactly, no one in this thread will have big calves or quads for no reason- you earn your physique! Love what you've worked for and don't let people who won't do the same try to convince you that those gains aren't awesome <3