August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @kristinegift - 250?!? Back with a vengeance!

@karllundy Well most months so far this year have been in the 100-120 zone. Last month was just over 150. And now I'm finally getting off my butt and actually training :D We'll see how my body feels getting back to last fall's training volume!

I know how ya feel. I been slacking the last few weeks. Time to get my butt back in gear. I wish you the best.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August

8/1 8 miles - 8
    8/2 4 miles - 12

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles

9 of 80 miles

exercise.png

Totally off topic, Skip started school today, she's a Senior. For the first in 11 years I cried.

8o7b1i6igngr.jpg

Awe! She looks so pretty. Senior year for my kid's was when I really learned the meaning of "bittersweet".
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles

9 of 80 miles

exercise.png

Totally off topic, Skip started school today, she's a Senior. For the first in 11 years I cried.

8o7b1i6igngr.jpg

She is beautiful! My daughter graduated from HS two years ago. I still don't know where the time went. They grow up so fast!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Last time I was able to run was 7/23. The run was OK but I messed up my knee getting out of my car after work and haven't been able to run since. I am going for 1 week pain free before I start up again and hoping for that to happen 8/6. I am tentatively trying for 40 miles in August. It should give me leeway incase I need more time off and if I am able to start on 8/6 I may end up closer to 50 miles for the month.

Now I just need time to look at the 8 pages of posts that are here already. :smile:

2017 Races :
    4/29/2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame 5k - Done
    6/10/17 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5K (maybe) - Done
    9/9/17 Kick off 5k (race 1 of series)
    2/4/18 Super Sunday 5 miler (race 2 of series)
    4/28/18 Draft Day 5k (race 3 of series)
    4/29/18 Akron Half Marathon (race 4 of series)
    5/19-20/18 Cleveland Marathon Weekend (5K, 8K or half)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    I have a question based on a question @scarlet67 asked in the July thread. Her question was whether a new runner should focus on distance or speed. I am a fairly new runner. I started running in October 2016. I started with C25K and I also completed C210K (although I never did get the 10k distance but I did do the 60 minute runs). I have run in 3 5K's so far and had times of 34:15, 32:10, and 33:06.

I am not really sure what type of training I should be following. My number one goal is to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. I would also like to be able to run 10k. And I would be lying if I didn't admit that the idea of a HM had crossed my mind, but I feel that that is a ways away for me. So far the most distance I have achieved is 5.1 miles. I am getting conflicting advice from some people I know (who are not really runners, but are former athletes). I have been told that I should stop focusing on distance and focus more on my speed. I have been running 4 days per week. I generally run 2.5-3.5 miles 3 days and on Sunday I run 4-5 miles. I am enjoying this routine. I have a couple of different paths that I run so I am not just running the same route every time, but I am running similar distances every time. And I do tend to stick to the same areas because I know the terrain and the dogs. lol

I've looked around some for training plans but in a lot of ways that just makes me confused. I don't know if I should concentrate on distance and not speed. Or should I start doing something different? Am I still a beginner runner? Should I be doing tempo work and intervals, and if so how do you do those? In addition to running I do about 30-40 minutes of yoga 5 mornings a week. I run on Sunday and then either M,T, W or T, W, T (depending on the weather and my schedule). Friday is usually just a yoga day and Saturday is a rest day.

If any of you more experience runners have any advice I would really appreciate it. If not then I am just going to stick to what I'm doing because for now it seems to be working for me. Maybe I should get back to work, but the stuff I'm doing today is so tedious and thinking/reading about running is more fun.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @kgirlhart if you want to improve your 5k time, you can ad in a speed work day, with a tempo run or some intervals. if you want to run 10k distance, you have to go for longer. Here's the thing, these aren't mutually exclusive! I dropped 3 minutes off my 5k time just running slow and easy for longer than 5k distance (6-7 miles).

So, I'd say you can increase mileage AND add in fast work, but do so one at a time, for instance, up your weekly mileage, then staying at the same mileage, switch one day to a "speedwork" day where you do intervals, a tempo run, or a fartlek. Mixed training is a good idea.

Does that make sense? currently chasing a toddler and trying to type this
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have a question based on a question @scarlet67 asked in the July thread. Her question was whether a new runner should focus on distance or speed. I am a fairly new runner. I started running in October 2016. I started with C25K and I also completed C210K (although I never did get the 10k distance but I did do the 60 minute runs). I have run in 3 5K's so far and had times of 34:15, 32:10, and 33:06.

I am not really sure what type of training I should be following. My number one goal is to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. I would also like to be able to run 10k. And I would be lying if I didn't admit that the idea of a HM had crossed my mind, but I feel that that is a ways away for me. So far the most distance I have achieved is 5.1 miles. I am getting conflicting advice from some people I know (who are not really runners, but are former athletes). I have been told that I should stop focusing on distance and focus more on my speed. I have been running 4 days per week. I generally run 2.5-3.5 miles 3 days and on Sunday I run 4-5 miles. I am enjoying this routine. I have a couple of different paths that I run so I am not just running the same route every time, but I am running similar distances every time. And I do tend to stick to the same areas because I know the terrain and the dogs. lol

I've looked around some for training plans but in a lot of ways that just makes me confused. I don't know if I should concentrate on distance and not speed. Or should I start doing something different? Am I still a beginner runner? Should I be doing tempo work and intervals, and if so how do you do those? In addition to running I do about 30-40 minutes of yoga 5 mornings a week. I run on Sunday and then either M,T, W or T, W, T (depending on the weather and my schedule). Friday is usually just a yoga day and Saturday is a rest day.

If any of you more experience runners have any advice I would really appreciate it. If not then I am just going to stick to what I'm doing because for now it seems to be working for me. Maybe I should get back to work, but the stuff I'm doing today is so tedious and thinking/reading about running is more fun.

Adding a interval session in once every 7-10 days would be a good start. I know several guys who strictly run 5-10k races and they run long run upto 10-12 miles. You need a combination of both speed and distance to get the full benefit of either. The typical rule of thumb is 80/20. 80% of your runs should be easy conversation paced runs, and 20 % should be in interval or tempo work. When I help with our HS XC guys we'd typically do anywhere from 5-10 intervals of 200m to 1000m, shorter interval more reps, longer interval fewer reps.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 6 mile hot lunch run/2 mile dreadmill run before lifting

August Total: 8/225
    917.6 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Yesterday I needed 8 miles. Didn't want to push my lunch break time limits, and I also keep forgetting to pack water on my summer non-long runs, which is obviously stupid since it was full noon sun and 90°F. So I did 6 at lunch, and then 2 before lifting. I was going to get on the dreadmill but was like *kitten* that, and just ran a mile out from the gym and back, lol. And yeah, I really need to make sure I get consistent with the weight training, it's so important for injury prevention.

Tonight I need 11 miles, and it's Wednesday summer track workout (Ladder: 1600-1200-800-400-400 w/ jogs of 800-600-400-200), BUT there's a chance of thunderstorms, so I'm crossing my fingers and toes that I don't get stuck on a dreadmill instead!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart It looks like you have the distance but not the speed for your 5k goal. Using the 80/20 rule one day a week could be used to improve speed. The more you use the other days to improve on your stamina and endurance the easier it will be to reach the goal. I would look for a simple plan based on those criteria. Your speed day could be hill repeats, intervals or tempo runs, it's a matter of personal preference.(Those workouts can be real kittens, so it really helps if some part of you enjoys the experience.) A local running club might help.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Missabaa welcome to the group!

How many miles per week do you run now? How comfortable are you at your current mileage? What is your goal with running? Sorry for the questions, trying to see a way to figure out a goal if you want one... otherwise just enjoy the running and have fun getting into it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart you already got great advice from @MNLittleFinn @5512bf @skippygirlsmom and @cburke8909, but allow me to combine it all into a simple suggestion:

Run 1 long run at conversational pace per week. This will help you build distance
    Run 1 "fast" run (tempo, intervals, fartleks, what ever) per week
    Take 1-2 rest days per week
    Do conversational runs a middle distance for rest of the days.

That will help you build distance and speed. Pay attention to your body, and if that is too much then move the speed to every other week instead, or reduce long run distance, or some combination there of.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Missabaa don't worry about setting a mile goal. If you need a number take what ever number of miles you ran in June and July and either try to do the same this month or increase it by 5%. Don't run everyday, their are successful streak runners but they are few and far between. Most new runners fail from setting too ambitious a goal and/or overtraining that leads to injry.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I have rest-day-itis really bad right now.....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I have rest-day-itis really bad right now.....

I feel ya, I have stuck sitting at desk-itis really really bad right now.