August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Garmin is down? Since they upgraded my computer at work I lost my Garmin programs so I had to reinstall now it doesn't recognize my password, okay no biggie I'll reset it, well gives me an "unexpected error" when I try that. :-1:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As per the hot dog conversation: I rarely do them at all any more since I am gluten free, but if I do, it's bunless (because GF bread is pretty gross) with spicy brown mustard only. Sauteed onions or sauerkraut if available, or, on rare occasion, a messy chili slaw dog is okay. If I happen to have a craving for gluten free mac n cheese, then I like little hot dog buttons to go in it (why not go all out?). Ketchup? Never. Only good for french fries, tater tots and scrambled eggs.

And @Elise4270 -If Joseph never ate a hot dog, then I would suggest he could do a lot better at being a good father.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    The best hot dog in my opinion is from the Costco food court. Tastes great, is filling (usually can't even finish one unless I'm really hungry), and this is the clincher - can't be beat at $1.50 including a fountain drink. I eat it with mustard, relish, and lots of onion.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Lol! I just wonder, did they have hot dogs back then??? I guess they'd have to have.

I found some really good turkey brats by honeysuckle farms. No nitrates. MSG though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Garmin is down? Since they upgraded my computer at work I lost my Garmin programs so I had to reinstall now it doesn't recognize my password, okay no biggie I'll reset it, well gives me an "unexpected error" when I try that. :-1:

I've been having issues with Garmin on and off all day
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @orphia - love the earrings! Awesome!
    @elise4270 and @_nikkiwolf_ - I had a feeling Pi was going to make it into this conversation because Elise loves Pi :) especially the kind she can eat! :open_mouth: I may have to rethink my goals - I thought I would go with 144KMs but that is the same as 89 miles! It must be a sign that I need to do 89 miles with an out of reach goal of 144 miles
    @Irontri7 - Welcome! You will have to meet @Ohhim when he returns to the group. He also does Ironmans.
    @7lenny7 - love the picture of Kody! Hobbes the Vizsla is jealous. The closest thing he has is our pool and he will only go in under duress and then only onto the steps... yes he is supposed to be a 'water dog'
    @RespectTheKitty - take care of that niggle! Mine still bothers me off and on but doing calf stretches seem to help. Congratulations on the steps challenge. My work is going to have one starting soon too.. not sure I want to join it but we are all being 'encouraged' to do so.
    @PastorVincent - congratulations to your wife! I had a similar experience when I started running and lost weight - my husband was on nothing and I was on everything (cholesterol, BP, etc...) and he is 9 years older. Now I am off everything and he is on. Wish I could get him to run a bit too.
    @zdyb23456 - Trader Joes has a great all beef, uncured hot dog that tastes just like the Costco ones!

Welcome to all the newbies! if you didn't see the post by @girlinahat on page 3 it is a really good one although I am mostly a road runner and not a trail runner. Also our fearless leader @Stoshew71 has compiled some great information here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange. It is really a great resource for additional information.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Nominal goal: 44 miles, calculated as 3 miles x 3 runs a week for the first 2 weeks, then adding a 4th day starting at 1 mile for the second 2 weeks.

Actual goals:
    - Figure out how to run 3-4 days a week while also getting my teenager to and from school and activities and myself to work on time, while complying with my preferred running path's dusk-to-dawn curfew.
    - Do at least 30 minutes of yoga for every mile run.
    - Do at least 30 minutes of additional non-running physical activity for every mile run.
    - Keep my acute-to-chronic ratio below 1.2. (This basically means "learn how to not run as far as I want to.")
    - Keep a more consistent pace from mile to mile. (This basically means "learn how not to run as fast as I want to.")

I have a dumb question, because I am dumb. :) What the heck is conversational pace? I am generally a hard grader, and there is an *enormous* gap between "can speak entire sentences with relative ease" and "gasping between words." This guy on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLQ5mU952f0 ) thinks he's running at a conversational pace, and that amount of out-of-breath-ness is gaspier than I am on a flat, but less gaspy than I am on an incline.

In additional to what @MobyCarp said....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yep, it's having issues. The login module appears to be down.

ETA: it now seems to be working
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the countless newbies and great to see @7lenny7 & @kristinegift back with us. Yaaaaay!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    thanks @mnlittlefinn and @pastorvincent I was ready to how a fit ha ha

@shanaber we are having a "walking" challenge too for our "wellness" we are supposed to take 7500 steps every day between September 1 I think and December 1 I think. The upswing is the company will put money in our HSA account if we do it. So I'll do it.

Honestly suddenly my company is blocking Strava. I need a new job that's it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    8/01/2017 - 0 miles

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

08/05/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k.
    08/05/2017 - Howl at the Moon night race 5k
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

BOO. Starting off month bad, have to work late - no miles for me!
  • bonniegarbal
    bonniegarbal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Logged 6 miles today.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 and @_nikkiwolf_ - I knew it had to be a 'thing'. It is just too cool! We really are a bunch of #nerdyrunners!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Y'all really are some nerds! :smiley:

1---5.49mi/8.84km

Total 5.49/8.84
    Goal 89 miles/144 km

Upcoming races:

Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's 1 mile 10:04  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.01
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options

exercise.png