Do you 'forget' to eat lunch?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    When I was younger I would sometimes be mentally occupied so much or involved in a task that I would not notice it was a meal time. I was very thin at that time and maintained my weight easily. I would eventually eat but I could easily skip breakfast and lunch without noticing much if I were busy. If you don't often eat breakfast or often skip lunch you get used to it and don't get as hungry at those times of day. If you always eat meals at a particular time and you skip/delay them once then you will notice much more.

I got overweight. I don't blame weight gain on eating regular meals or noticing hunger. I ate too many calories for my activity level.

I don't forget meals now. I plan them in advance. I eat at the same times every day. One of my jobs in my household is to prepare meals for my family every day at specific times. It is pretty hard to forget to eat lunch in that case.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Yeah used to forget sometimes. Rarely but it does happen. Always had a weight problem. My problem never been the number of meals be it 1 or 3, weight problem because I went over my calories. Now since I plan out my meals and count my calories I never forget lol
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    I can't forget to eat - I have IBS and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and if I don't eat something (even just a rice cake, or a drink with calories in) every 2-3 hours I'm doubled over in agony.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    I work as an admission nurse for a subacute rehab facility. If it's a heavy admissions day I usually forget to eat lunch because I'm too busy running around.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    There is a ton of things I forget, like setting up the coffee pot the night before, or if I fed the dog, or if I paid a bill but I NEVER forget to eat. I may (very randomly) be not hungry when a meal comes around, but I never forget to eat.

I wouldn't say I have a weight problem as I've never been obese, but I tend to be on the beefier side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah that would never happen to me either.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So Amy Schumer did a humorous bit a while back, about people who 'forget' to eat lunch. She said something like, "those words have literally, never come out of my mouth".

I thought that this was hilarious, because while I have sometimes skipped lunch on purpose, I have never 'forgotten' to eat lunch.

Of course my husband (who I am convinced is a mutant) has frequently forgotten to eat lunch. He also has never had a weight problem.

So confess, do you forget to eat lunch, and do have/have you had, a weight problem?

I remember hearing that joke and loved it too :smile: - have you seen her sketch on the perfect diet - slap chef? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsAi95ghuU

Yup, never forgotten to eat lunch! I deliberately miss meals, rather than forget about them.

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Even though I plan my meals ahead, I have forgotten to eat a meal once in a while.

It's usually a mix between being busy and/or not hungry, but I make up for those calories in another meal.

I can go a long time in between meals before feeling hungry and it's not done on purpose. I don't have substitutes like drinking coffee or smoking either.

I was chubby/overweight most of my life and I NEVER, ever forgot to eat back then!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Not forgotten, but have found myself had such a busy day that I haven't had time to eat.
    This is rare however.
    I find by the time dinner time comes I am ravenous.

Me too. I don't forget to eat and I'll be hungry but too busy to eat lunch. Usually when that happens I have a late lunch/early dinner.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    Heard the same joke and that gave me a laugh as well, especially as my mom and sister have both commented that they have forgotten to eat lunch on occasion if they have a busy day at work. I have never done this and can't even fathom accidentally skipping one! I love food and get way too hangry if I don't have something to eat every few hours. If I miss a meal, something is seriously wrong with me.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    If I'm programming, I have been known to miss meals because my awareness of anything except the coding puzzle in front of me disappears.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Ha Ha Ha - Never :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    If I'm programming, I have been known to miss meals because my awareness of anything except the coding puzzle in front of me disappears.

Yep ... I too can get involved in something and the rest of the world disappears. It used to happen more frequently than it does now. Quite regularly, I used to go into the library at university to research, and suddenly realise that 4 or 5 hours had passed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I'm not sure - purely as a matter of semantics.

I've had days here and there where I'm planning on eating lunch, but then get sidetracked and don't feel hungry until late afternoon, at which point I just wait until dinner to eat (or grab a protein bar or other quick snack).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm wondering if by "lunch" people mean a set meal time. I consider anything between morning and noon "breakfast", anything between noon and evening "lunch" and anything evening and later "dinner". I may effectively forget to eat at exactly 12 if I'm too focused on something, but it's still lunch to me if I eat it at 3.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    I'm wondering if by "lunch" people mean a set meal time. I consider anything between morning and noon "breakfast", anything between noon and evening "lunch" and anything evening and later "dinner". I may effectively forget to eat at exactly 12 if I'm too focused on something, but it's still lunch to me if I eat it at 3.

When I've forgotten "lunch", I mean that I might head into the library to research at 11 am and emerge at 4 pm thinking to myself, "Odd ... why am I hungry? ........ Oh look at the time!!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member

This is exactly me! When I'm programming or debugging code, I'm highly focused on that and "tune" everything else out, like hunger--I don't even hear the phone ring when I'm focused like that!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    I seriously hate those kind of people. "Forget to eat." For f.u.c.k.'s sake.

this

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member

This is exactly me! When I'm programming or debugging code, I'm highly focused on that and "tune" everything else out, like hunger--I don't even hear the phone ring when I'm focused like that!

I do ASIC design (hardware coding) and am often involved in some 'coding puzzle', but heck, I still know when its lunch time. I might delay lunch (maybe skip, but not often) cause I'm busy, but 'forget'?