Anyone else doing internment fasting?

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Do you think you'll be able to keep the weight off once the fasting stops?

I'll chime in on this one-been doing intermittent fasting in one form or another for around 5 years now-4 of those have been in maintenance. That means I'm one of the very few people who are successfully maintaining weight loss past two years, which is the point where most people fail and weight loss maintenance adherence. I'm also a part of the NWCR, (National Weight Control Registry), and my data is part of their research efforts.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    cblasz wrote: »
    I've been doing IF for a few years now. I saw a program by the author of the 5:2 book - Dr. Michael Mosely and looked into it further. I'm part of a great forum about it. There's lots of information here and people doing all sorts of different kinds of IF. It took off early in Europe/Australia but took a while to catch on here in the U.S.
    Here is the forum if anyone is interested. https://www.fastday.com/

I used to be a part of that forum-great group of people :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I trust that with my health condition that he is a expert in.That he would know how fasting would effect my thyroid. They have to know how anything would effect the thyroid.

I have hypothyroidism.

Fasting has no affect on it.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes, for a few years. Recently I've been doing a 20 hour fast and 4 hour 'feeding' time, but I just have one meal a day and one or two snacks in that 4 hours of time. It has been going great. It's also around 1400-1600 calories every day, but I don't track calories on saturday and sunday or do IF on those two days. I like to think of just eating one or two meals a day, so it will be two meals on saturday and sunday and one meal mon-friday. I'm only really hungry once a day around 4 pm so it works great for me.
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2017
    Loving intermittent fasting, working for me and I need perimeters, borders. Do what works best for you. I don't have a whole lot left to lose, but my plateau is broken. Thank you God!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    CasiGal wrote: »
    I have to join the camp that CICO is NOT the sole determination for weight loss. I am highly educated in the subject and have studied the gut and the brain extensively. Gut health, brain chemistry, hormones (think cortisol as one example) also have an impact. If you think CICO is the only thing that matters to lose weight, I highly suggest you speak to an endocrinologist or hey, ask someone with a thyroid issue. Look them in the face and say, "you're fat because you are eating too many calories." Then duck. When you get back up, read up on the hypothalamus and its function to regulate hormones.

Sorry to burst your bubble but CICO is a logical conclusion based on the laws of physics. The pesky thing about those laws of physics is that they govern all of reality and no hormones can change them.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I have to join the camp that CICO is NOT the sole determination for weight loss. I am highly educated in the subject and have studied the gut and the brain extensively. Gut health, brain chemistry, hormones (think cortisol as one example) also have an impact. If you think CICO is the only thing that matters to lose weight, I highly suggest you speak to an endocrinologist or hey, ask someone with a thyroid issue. Look them in the face and say, "you're fat because you are eating too many calories." Then duck. When you get back up, read up on the hypothalamus and its function to regulate hormones.

Sorry to burst your bubble but CICO is a logical conclusion based on the laws of physics. The pesky thing about those laws of physics is that they govern all of reality and no hormones can change them.

To kill both quotes here with one suggestion that everyone overlooks in this argument.
    Yes CICO applies in all situations, but to think that hormones don't affect it in some cases such that the CICO equation can't be accurately calculated or changes in reaction to said hormonal imbalances is naive on both sides of the debate.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    rybo wrote: »

To kill both quotes here with one suggestion that everyone overlooks in this argument.
    Yes CICO applies in all situations, but to think that hormones don't affect it in some cases such that the CICO equation can't be accurately calculated or changes in reaction to said hormonal imbalances is naive on both sides of the debate.

But that's NOT the assertion being repeatedly made. The assertion made is always that hormones or what kind of food you're eating or toxins or the moon phases or whatever somehow work OUTSIDE of CICO.

I agree. That's why I included the other quote too.
    Hormone people say CICO doesn't work because of hormones.
    CICO people say don't use hormones as an excuse, CICO is absolute.
    Biology & physiology says we'll use hormones to change the CICO equation to say whatever we want it to say and the rest of you can argue who is right.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    I too have a hypothyroidism, with an insulin-resistance chaser. I've been losing weight steadily. Am I on medication? Yes. Can I lose weight on just the medication? No, I still have to be in a calorie deficit. Do these conditions make my body more efficient, in that I can go about my day on fewer calories than average for my gender/age/weight? Yes. That doesn't mean CICO doesn't work, it just means that I am at the lower end of the spectrum used to generate the online calculators. My CICO output is lower than the average, but that doesn't mean it doesn't apply.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    Three pages and NO ONE has made a joke about "internment fasting" which would seem like a pretty easy target.

I am tremendously disappointed--both in myself and this community.

Page 1, bro. Page 1.
    Sorry, but - I just noticed - internment fasting :D Don't lock yourself up to stop yourself from eating :p