Crossfit for Heavier Beginners?

Options
Is it do able or should I wait until I drop some weight first?

Replies

• Reaver_P90X
    Reaver_P90X Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is doable! Most all crossfit can be scaled to accommodate anyones ability level. No better time than the present to get started!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable. Talk to and research the places you are thinking about going to and that should make you feel a bit more comfortable about starting. It's scalable for any fitness level
  • MikeinNOLA
    MikeinNOLA Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do it!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do it
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Totally do-able. I don't CF anymore, but I did it for about three years and my gym had all types of people getting great workouts. You'll see a lot a people who have the typical "cf look", but you'll also see a TON of people who are older, heavier, more out of shape, or all three. Talk to the members of whatever gym you're thinking about and ask the coaches about their scaling. You can get a good workout as you are now, in whatever condition that is :).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's possible to scale it down, but then it's just circuit training, not CF (which is probably a plus). It's up to you to decide if you want to pay a crossfit premium for something that isn't crossfit.
  • rybo
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's possible to scale it down, but then it's just circuit training, not CF (which is probably a plus). It's up to you to decide if you want to pay a crossfit premium for something that isn't crossfit.

How does scaling make it "not crossfit"?
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am 5"2" and 188 and 49 years old. I just started crossfit with my daughter. There are modifications for things you are not able to do yet. The box we go to has very helpful coaches and members. If you want to try it see if they have a free trial. That's what we did.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely give it a shot as you are right now!

Any good coach will be able to take the workout and 'scale' (adapt) it to movements that you can do at your current level of fitness.
  • Azdak
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

High-intensity is a fundamental part of crossfit. If someone can't do the intensity, then it's really just random circuit training.

It's like people saying they're doing "tabata planks".

Certainly if someone's goal is to do crossfit, it would be worthwhile to start there at a low level and work your way up. But if not, I was just pointing out that it's an expensive way to do basic conditioning.
  • Azdak
    Options

High-intensity is a fundamental part of crossfit. If someone can't do the intensity, then it's really just random circuit training.

Certainly if someone's goal is to do crossfit, it would be worthwhile to start there at a low level and work your way up. But if not, I was just pointing out that it's an expensive way to do basic conditioning.

Intensity is relative. Scaling allows the individual to perform at the appropriate intensity level for their fitness. It's not random circuit training. And crossfit is a lot more than just conditioning, there is strength work, depending on the individual box programming, it could be fairly significant.

Resistance and workload may be relative, but intensity is not. 80% intensity is 80% intensity-- for one it might mean lifting 50lbs and another 200lbs, but the effect on each body will still be 80%.

The only way you can "scale" the workload for someone who is less fit is to decrease the intensity and likely the volume. And once you do that---it's not crossfit. It's circuit training designed to condition someone so that they can do crossfit.

Crossfit defines itself as focused on "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement". Now a facility can expand its services to include other things as accessories to crossfit, but these are not unique to that business.

Again, I am only making the point that someone starting out who is likely not conditioned to do crossfit does not have to pay a premium to go to a CF facility to go through that conditioning process. (Actually I'm not even doing that anymore--this is just for fun).

• rybo
    Options
    Crossfit is not defined by a particular intensity level, that's pretty laughable. 79% intensity, nope, not crossfit yet...80.5% yay! Welcome to crossfit!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Intensity is relative. Scaling allows the individual to perform at the appropriate intensity level for their fitness. It's not random circuit training. And crossfit is a lot more than just conditioning, there is strength work, depending on the individual box programming, it could be fairly significant.

Resistance and workload may be relative, but intensity is not. 80% intensity is 80% intensity-- for one it might mean lifting 50lbs and another 200lbs, but the effect on each body will still be 80%.

You're confused
    The only way you can "scale" the workload for someone who is less fit is to decrease the intensity and likely the volume. And once you do that---it's not crossfit. It's circuit training designed to condition someone so that they can do crossfit.

If 80% intensity for A is walking 100 meters and picking up a broom stick 10 times and 80% intensity for B is sprinting 400 meters and snatching 100 kilos 10 times

That's called scaling intensity.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options

[/quote]

If 80% intensity for A is walking 100 meters and picking up a broom stick 10 times and 80% intensity for B is sprinting 400 meters and snatching 100 kilos 10 times

That's called scaling intensity.[/quote]

100% agree with this. We had two brand new people join our group yesterday, and Toes 2 Bar were in the WOD. Both of the newcomers needed to scale, one subbed V-ups and the other hanging knee raises. Just because they could not do the T2B because of the difficulty of the movement did not mean they didn't participate in CrossFit. They were both drenched in sweat and on the floor like the rest of us at the end of it. I sure wouldn't tell them they did it with 'low intensity'.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is for everyone no matter what your level of physical fitness is at the current time. All the workouts are scaleable to enable you to push yourself to your maximum whatever that may be. Do not be intimidated by those that are deadlifting 100kg when you can't (yet!) Crossfit is about giving your all whatever that may be. and the next time giving your all, and the next time etc etc until you can deadlift 100kg and the newbies are looking up to you. Crossfit is constantly varied functional fitness. its also so much more than that: its community, its family, its having the box cheer you on to finish the WOD, its everyone celebrating your PB and its the social BBQs outside of the box.
  • Azdak
    Options

You're confused

That's called scaling intensity.

No, that is setting different workloads to achieve the same intensity for persons of different fitness levels.

Workload and intensity are two different things. The words are not interchangeable.

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Because I was curious about this discussion and wanted to learn more about the distinctions being discussed, I found a few interesting articles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545984-relative-vs-absolute-exercise-intensity/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/what-is-training-intensity.html/

ETA: I think if you want to try Crossfit, then do it, OP. I have never done Crossfit before, however, so I can't offer specific advice about the workouts.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Crossfit is not defined by a particular intensity level, that's pretty laughable. 79% intensity, nope, not crossfit yet...80.5% yay! Welcome to crossfit!

" Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. " --Gary Glassman

Maybe he doesn't know what Crossfit is either.