Why did you get married?

Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Because I didn't want to die alone wearing a house coat covered in cat hair. Because I need someone to remind me not to smoke, not to drink too much and not to be a crazy cat lady. Because I have to have someone change my oil for me and take me out to dinner. Because I need laughter, hugs and kisses daily. Because he is the best person I have ever met and I am glad he chose me!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Which time?
  • His junk is massive.*

* Aside from that, he's a full-fledged uber nerd; I find that irresistible. We love being together. And, even when I want to take a cinder-block to his face on occasion, I know I'd not want to waste my time on smashing anyone else's face.

so im reading all these posts from people and im like WTF -- where is my mushy side, why can't i find it. i mean i love the guy and all that stuff and i used to have mushy words for him and im like oh **** 10 years together and ive already lost my words - and then i read this *kitten* and this *kitten* RIGHT HERE is EXACTLY what i wanted to say. it is 100% accurate and now my heart is smiling. i was feeling like a craptastic wife for a second - but now i feel better... :D i mean that, i do.
  • nala1965
    nala1965 Posts: 15 Member
    I got married both times for the wrong reasons. The first time I was in love with the idea of being married and the second time for the finacial securtiy.

Although I dont "regret" either one of them I would not repeat the mistake again. Both of my ex's I learned something from and I dont feel that any relationship is a waste if you learned something.

I will say it will be a cold day in a normaly hot place before I trust anyone that much again. But I dont regret it at all.

R
  • I got married both times for the wrong reasons. The first time I was in love with the idea of being married and the second time for the finacial securtiy.

Although I dont "regret" either one of them I would not repeat the mistake again. Both of my ex's I learned something from and I dont feel that any relationship is a waste if you learned something.

I will say it will be a cold day in a normaly hot place before I trust anyone that much again. But I dont regret it at all.

R

marrying for money = something i wouldnt regret :D
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Because I was a dumb 20yr old who didn't want to listen to her parents when they said not to!

Shoulda listened :laugh:
  • nala1965
    nala1965 Posts: 15 Member
    I got married 4 years ago and found out this month he cheated on me. I knew something was up but he denied and denied! When he finally started talking he said "you have changed, your not the girl I married, Im not as attracted to you" Yep 20lb wt gain in 4 years and he cheated on me. Is that why I here? Maybe, but mostly, at least Im hoping is for me. Because I want to do it. Because I can do it! Not for him but for me.

I am sorry to say been there done that "twice"! once a cheat always a cheat. You need to improve yourself for you!!!!!! If it happens to be good for your marriage great! I dont have a lot of faith in the male of our speicies but there are good ones out there.
    You have to love yourself before anyone else will love you.

Be good to you, you deserve it.

Add me as a friend if you want.
  • becka95
    becka95 Posts: 14 Member
    I got married because I know the journey through life can be hell and he was the one that I wanted to got through it with. I didn't want to have a wedding. I just wanted the 2 of us on a beach committing ourselves to each other. Didn't happen that way but it was still a small event. The details at the time didn't matter to me as long as we were both there. The icing on my cake melted due to the weather, got a parking ticket on the morning of my wedding because my shoe broke (Wedding shoe too!) and had to run and get another pair, menu was not correct and the DJ got drunk.

I think that people get married not just for tradition but also because we veiw it as the ultimate pladge of our love for each other. Problem we all face is that once we have that pledge, the key is to continue to show each other how much you love each other.

With my recent problems, I don't regret getting married. I just regret all the effort I have put in without the return.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Honestly, I got married the first time just because I thought being married would make me a grown up. smackhead.gif

After that ended in divorce I never thought I would get married again and was very vocally anti marriage.

Then I met my fiance and we got pregnant. My daughter was actually a year old when he proposed and we aren't married yet. I want to marry him because I love him more than I have ever loved any man and we just fit. Our family feels like home to me and I am more at peace than I have ever been. I want everyone to know I am his and that we are a family. We did it a little backwards but I am so glad we did. Our marriage will be about uniting our family.

And we are planning a wedding but are doing a lot of it ourselves and are not spending a lot of money on it. (although I am splurging on the honeymoon just so we have a nice vacation together that we can always treasure! :love: )
  • Which time?
    how many times????
    am such a marriage virgin!!!
  • mattiol4
    mattiol4 Posts: 89 Member
    What I can tell you... Love is worth the struggle. It's worth the anguish and the pain. Love it worth all the ups and all the downs.

I fell in love with a girl. Our plan was to grow old together (while keeping each other young). Apparently, that wasn't everyone's plan because earlier this summer I lost her. After a week in the hospital I'm still here. I've been told I survived, but I don't feel alive anymore.

My biggest hope for everyone who reads this: LOVE like you may never get to show your love again. Make it a passion. Make the person you love into your best friend. Don't try to control them. Don't toss them to the wolves. Don't ever give them a single moment to doubt how much you care. Stand up for them and support them in all of their choices... both good and bad.

Love is worth it.

I am so so sorry for your loss! Your words are full of wisdom that everyone should follow.

Even though I don't know you, you are in my thoughts!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    His junk is massive.*

* Aside from that, he's a full-fledged uber nerd; I find that irresistible. We love being together. And, even when I want to take a cinder-block to his face on occasion, I know I'd not want to waste my time on smashing anyone else's face.

so im reading all these posts from people and im like WTF -- where is my mushy side, why can't i find it. i mean i love the guy and all that stuff and i used to have mushy words for him and im like oh **** 10 years together and ive already lost my words - and then i read this *kitten* and this *kitten* RIGHT HERE is EXACTLY what i wanted to say. it is 100% accurate and now my heart is smiling. i was feeling like a craptastic wife for a second - but now i feel better... :D i mean that, i do.

*grin* Good.
  • noelheart
    noelheart Posts: 60
    I got married 4 years ago and found out this month he cheated on me. I knew something was up but he denied and denied! When he finally started talking he said "you have changed, your not the girl I married, Im not as attracted to you" Yep 20lb wt gain in 4 years and he cheated on me. Is that why I here? Maybe, but mostly, at least Im hoping is for me. Because I want to do it. Because I can do it! Not for him but for me.

I am sorry to say been there done that "twice"! once a cheat always a cheat. You need to improve yourself for you!!!!!! If it happens to be good for your marriage great! I dont have a lot of faith in the male of our speicies but there are good ones out there.
    You have to love yourself before anyone else will love you.

Be good to you, you deserve it.

Add me as a friend if you want.

I agree with this point: once a cheat always a cheat.
    I just watches the movie "He is not that just into you" and think if a man really loves you, you won't cheat on you.

Have you ever seen this movie? If not, you may take a look if you have time.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I will celebrate my 10th anniversary on August 11th. We married because we loved each other and could not imagine being without each other. Marriage is not always easy. There can be a lot ot work out when two people come together, but at the end of the day it is worth it.

Neither my husbad nor I wanted to deal with a bunch of wedding stuff. We got married at a very nice wedding chapel over looking Lake Tahoe. We each had one attendent and one guest. The wedding like out marriage was truly about us starting our life together as a married couple. It was beautiful, largely stress free and one of the best decisions we ever made.

Best Wishes to you!
  • noelheart
    noelheart Posts: 60
    I will celebrate my 10th anniversary on August 11th. We married because we loved each other and could not imagine being without each other. Marriage is not always easy. There can be a lot ot work out when two people come together, but at the end of the day it is worth it.

Neither my husbad nor I wanted to deal with a bunch of wedding stuff. We got married at a very nice wedding chapel over looking Lake Tahoe. We each had one attendent and one guest. The wedding like out marriage was truly about us starting our life together as a married couple. It was beautiful, largely stress free and one of the best decisions we ever made.

Best Wishes to you!

Thanks. Congratulations on your 10th anniversary.
  • Honestly at the time it helped us get more money for college, but neither one of us would change it. It just felt right. As for married life, I love it. I would do it all over again! We recently celebrated our 4 year anniversary. I love him and he is my best friend.

seems nice!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    It got to the point in our 3 year relationship that I could not see myself living without her so I asked for her hand in marriage.
  • I love my guy and couldn't imagine my life without him in it. I wanted the traditional white wedding, groom in a tux, the rings, the whole bit. But I didn't marry him just for those things, I married him because I wanted to. I wanted him, and only him.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    We didn't even talk it out much. It was mostly a spur of the moment, lets go to the courthouse this week and get married thing. Hah. I can't tell you our exact reasons at the time, but yes, there have been times of regret (for the both of us.. wish we had waited longer, gotten to know each other better and overcame our differences and THEN decided whether or not marriage was a good idea). We're going on 11 years this November and it's been a bumpy ride, but we're riding it out for the long haul. So yeah, no real reason we got married.. mostly just young, dumb and blinded by love.

ETA: When I say "get to know each other better", it's because we had only been seeing each other for 3 months prior to us getting married. We had both worked together, but I only met him in May of that year.. we became fast friends and decided to start a relationship that August.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    I got married because I found the perfect guy for me. We dated, had a baby, went threw some huge challenges and brought ourselves back to each other.. Because without him... we're not a family. Because no one would ever understand me the way he does... because no one would ever in a million years...understand him the way I do. We got married because we realized that what we would be separately was much scarier then anything we would ever go through together.