"Who's NOT Overweight?"

So, at a meeting this week, we were all chatting about random stuff and one person brought up her partner was coming onto her insurance because her partner's company's insurance was going to start charging more for smokers (private company). Another one said the same thing, but it was due to health stats like BMI, BP, etc. and they were given notice this would take effect January 1, 2018. Change now or pay more later, I guess.

The smoking thing didn't phase anyone, but the weight thing did. One of my office mates said, "That's not a fair thing to charge for, I mean, who's NOT overweight?" Myself and one other person raised our hands. Two out of 14 people. I don't perceive anyone being obese, but I really have no idea and don't really think about it. I was obese, lost 100+ pounds and have been in maintenance almost three years.

It was just an interesting observation for me--even our folks with "active" jobs are probably overweight. Only two our of 14 were a healthy weight.

I know not everyone works in a office, but with their office mates or stay-at-home-parent folks, is my office an anomaly? Or is it normal?

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Were the other 12 people overweight? I realize this may be hard to tell by looking if they are just a little overweight but most of the people that I know who are at a healthy weight think (or at least say) they are overweight.
    Agreed.

In the situation as described in the OP, I would not have stuck my arm up in response to that.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Overweight/obesity has become so common in the advanced industrial societies of the world that it is now perceived as normal. When I moved from one employer to another a couple of months ago, I was somewhat shocked at the high percentage of people in this office who are NOT overweight/obese. We have zero obese people, and only 2 overweight. The other 8 are at a healthy BMI if my eyeballs can be trusted.

It may well be that insurance rates are the strongest stick to beat this problem with.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I work in a building of about 4000 people so I can't really say, but in my small group of nine people, I would say that 4 of them are overweight and two are borderline. Just by looks.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    I know it's slightly off topic from your op, but our insurance already has this policy in place-but the bmi to be penalized is high, into the obese range. So those who are just in the overweight category are not penalized on weight alone. Other health markers are also assessed though, like bp/cholesterol etc and you can be penalized based on those.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    For insurance, higher premiums are for those with a validated BMI of 30 (obese) or above. The higher premium can be avoided by having an acceptable waist measurement or by making steps towards achieving a healthy weight (loss of some % or completing a coaching or something). I know that isn't exactly your question-but not everyone who is overweight (or classes themselves as overweight) would be charged a higher premium.

We get a discount for being in a "healthier range" on BMI. If you're higher that can be off-set by the waist measurement and that's the way I get my discount. Still have a bit of love handles and some around the middle but I come in at 35 inches. BMI has me at overweight.

BOT....Only a few (maybe 35?) where I work would be considered a normal weight and we have about 300 people here. Most would be over weight and a much smaller fraction as obese.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That makes sense. Isn't around two thirds of the States overweight and obese? Six out of seven being overweight is higher but it could be demographics.

The SAHMs I know tend to be normal to overweight. There are a few obese. My guess is that it is a slimmer group than average for our age. I am one of the larger ones at 158lbs and 5'8". Normal BMI.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    I work in a government office in canada and id say half are overweight or obese. Definitely not 2 out of 14 being non overweight! Just in my group, 7 are overweight and 8 are not!