"Who's NOT Overweight?"

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That makes sense. Isn't around two thirds of the States overweight and obese? Six out of seven being overweight is higher but it could be demographics.

The SAHMs I know tend to be normal to overweight. There are a few obese. My guess is that it is a slimmer group than average for our age. I am one of the larger ones at 158lbs and 5'8". Normal BMI.

I'm a sahm as well and I literally do not know another sahm that's not overweight/very overweight. I'm definitely the odd one out in that sense, in my little circle.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited August 2017
    So a man my height that weighs 175 lbs but eats total garbage, drinks nearly daily, has vitals worse than mine, would be considered in a healthy range and get a better premium. I just did my BMI and I'm at 27.5. That's 2.5 points away from obese.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I definitely see it in my office -- and when I go out to eat... I just didn't pay attention before - but now that I am trying to lose weight, I am more aware of it. I have good insurance through my job and when they start with all of the wellness stuff - I tell them that they aren't doctors and they need to respect my HIPPA!!! Anyway I am 5'6" 155 and according to my BMI I am over weight. SMH. But, I am trying...
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    fjmartini wrote: »
    So a man my height that weighs 175 lbs but eats total garbage, drinks nearly daily, has vitals worse than mine, would be considered in a healthy range and get a better premium. I just did my BMI and I'm at 27.5. That's 2.5 points away from obese.

For our insurance other markers are also used-we have to go in for a mandatory blood pressure reading, blood work panel and waist measurement by a nurse, during the open enrollment period every fall. My husband has hereditary high cholesterol so he pays more, and I think that's reasonable because he's at a higher risk for costing the insurance company more money vs me, who has very good cholesterol numbers.

eta: sorry Op I kind of got us off track, there's a very large thread about this already going in the debate section so I'll refrain from posting further here!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    In my location for my company, I can think of maybe 14 who are noticeably overweight, with 3 of them being obese. This is out of about 100 employees at this location. There is a very wide range of ages, cultures and economic situations. I think for the most part, the very busy location with few opportunities to eat helps control people's weight.

However, I do think that being overweight has become too normal. Sure, there are a few outlier situations but overall, I see no excuse to remain overweight.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Is your waist measurement less than 1/2 of your height? That is an alternative measurement that would take into consideration someone who has some level of muscle mass/less abdominal fat (which is an increased risk factor). IMO this should also be taken into consideration when determining any weight based insurance discount/penalty

https://qz.com/1002707/bmi-calculators-arent-accurate-but-our-body-fat-calculator-is/

At 6'2" and 205 my BMI is 26.3. However my waist-height ratio is 35 in waist / 74 in height = .473 so below .50.

The doctors that give the work physicals are real sticklers on BMI, but I've been lifting weights for years and they never had a problem with my weight.

I've been hearing this waist to height ratio, termed "overfat" if the ratio is higher than 0.50, all over the news lately. Here's one of many examples:

http://fox17online.com/2017/07/31/is-overfat-the-new-obesity/

"A new study published in the journal Frontiers in Public Health suggests the number of people who meet the criteria for overfat in the top 30 industrialized countries are more than all of the obese and overweight people in the world. In fact, they estimate that 90% of the men and 50% of the children in the US, New Zealand, Greece and Iceland are overfat. In the top overfat countries, researchers found 80% of the women were overfat, too."

If insurance were start using waist to height exclusively instead of BMI, very few would pass the test.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member

Is your waist measurement less than 1/2 of your height? That is an alternative measurement that would take into consideration someone who has some level of muscle mass/less abdominal fat (which is an increased risk factor). IMO this should also be taken into consideration when determining any weight based insurance discount/penalty

https://qz.com/1002707/bmi-calculators-arent-accurate-but-our-body-fat-calculator-is/

At 6'2" and 205 my BMI is 26.3. However my waist-height ratio is 35 in waist / 74 in height = .473 so below .50.

The doctors that give the work physicals are real sticklers on BMI, but I've been lifting weights for years and they never had a problem with my weight.

I've been hearing this waist to height ratio, termed "overfat" if the ratio is higher than 0.50, all over the news lately. Here's one of many examples:

"A new study published in the journal Frontiers in Public Health suggests the number of people who meet the criteria for overfat in the top 30 industrialized countries are more than all of the obese and overweight people in the world. In fact, they estimate that 90% of the men and 50% of the children in the US, New Zealand, Greece and Iceland are overfat. In the top overfat countries, researchers found 80% of the women were overfat, too."

If insurance were start using waist to height exclusively instead of BMI, very few would pass the test.

I wouldn't mind it at all.. I'm 5'10" with a 38" waist and currently 50lbs overweight according to BMI. At a 34.5" waist i would be below the overfat ratio. Being shapped like a pear makes me less at risk of anything weight related and my waist is usually around 34 inches when im still somewhat overweight based on BMI, yet it's when i look and feel great and healthiest. I agree that BMI is wonky when you get into the tall and short population and prefer the overfat ratio.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Most of us in my office are healthy BMI weight or just slightly above it. None are obese
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    noirelb wrote: »

I wouldn't mind it at all.. I'm 5'10" with a 38" waist and currently 50lbs overweight according to BMI. At a 34.5" waist i would be below the overfat ratio. Being shapped like a pear makes me less at risk of anything weight related and my waist is usually around 34 inches when im still somewhat overweight based on BMI, yet it's when i look and feel great and healthiest. I agree that BMI is wonky when you get into the tall and short population and prefer the overfat ratio.

Genetically I'm an apple. It wouldn't take much of a weight gain and I would pass BMI and fail the overfat ratio. As much as I'd like to object to the idea, it's true, I know I'm at a bigger risk of various health problems than a pear.

Otoh, I might fail the test unfairly if I were having digestive problems (as I often do) that cause gas and/or inflammation.