Crossfit for Heavier Beginners?

Options
13»

Replies

• akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started CF 3 months ago & was very intimidated. I started at right under 300 lbs so I am heavier than most of the people at the box. Everything can be scaled. You want to find the right place for you & make sure they are working with you to modify movements for what you can do right now. I am down 23 lbs & have even started their nutrition program. I agree with Mary that I was overwhelmed by the price of it. It is like having a personal trainer for every workout. You will also get some awesome encouragement from other members cheering you on!! That helps so much to when I am struggling to finish or the last one. I would say go for it!! Be consistent in going a few times a week to get adjusted....even if your sore, keep moving!
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to check it out in a few more months :)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    It's possible to scale it down, but then it's just circuit training, not CF (which is probably a plus). It's up to you to decide if you want to pay a crossfit premium for something that isn't crossfit.

How does scaling make it "not crossfit"?

High-intensity is a fundamental part of crossfit. If someone can't do the intensity, then it's really just random circuit training.

It's like people saying they're doing "tabata planks".

Certainly if someone's goal is to do crossfit, it would be worthwhile to start there at a low level and work your way up. But if not, I was just pointing out that it's an expensive way to do basic conditioning.

Intensity is relative. Scaling allows the individual to perform at the appropriate intensity level for their fitness. It's not random circuit training. And crossfit is a lot more than just conditioning, there is strength work, depending on the individual box programming, it could be fairly significant.

Resistance and workload may be relative, but intensity is not. 80% intensity is 80% intensity-- for one it might mean lifting 50lbs and another 200lbs, but the effect on each body will still be 80%.

The only way you can "scale" the workload for someone who is less fit is to decrease the intensity and likely the volume. And once you do that---it's not crossfit. It's circuit training designed to condition someone so that they can do crossfit.

Crossfit defines itself as focused on "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement". Now a facility can expand its services to include other things as accessories to crossfit, but these are not unique to that business.

Again, I am only making the point that someone starting out who is likely not conditioned to do crossfit does not have to pay a premium to go to a CF facility to go through that conditioning process. (Actually I'm not even doing that anymore--this is just for fun).

So at what point does it become not crossfit? Do you have to RX everything to be doing crossfit, and everything else is circuit training? Was my workout yesterday not crossfit because I used an 18 lb kettlebell instead of 28, and used 55 lbs for cleans instead of 65? If I have to use bands to assist with pullups, does that mean I didn't do crossfit? Or if I did 4 rounds instead of 5?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's possible to scale it down, but then it's just circuit training, not CF (which is probably a plus). It's up to you to decide if you want to pay a crossfit premium for something that isn't crossfit.

How does scaling make it "not crossfit"?

High-intensity is a fundamental part of crossfit. If someone can't do the intensity, then it's really just random circuit training.

It's like people saying they're doing "tabata planks".

Certainly if someone's goal is to do crossfit, it would be worthwhile to start there at a low level and work your way up. But if not, I was just pointing out that it's an expensive way to do basic conditioning.

Intensity is relative. Scaling allows the individual to perform at the appropriate intensity level for their fitness. It's not random circuit training. And crossfit is a lot more than just conditioning, there is strength work, depending on the individual box programming, it could be fairly significant.

Resistance and workload may be relative, but intensity is not. 80% intensity is 80% intensity-- for one it might mean lifting 50lbs and another 200lbs, but the effect on each body will still be 80%.

The only way you can "scale" the workload for someone who is less fit is to decrease the intensity and likely the volume. And once you do that---it's not crossfit. It's circuit training designed to condition someone so that they can do crossfit.

Crossfit defines itself as focused on "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement". Now a facility can expand its services to include other things as accessories to crossfit, but these are not unique to that business.

Again, I am only making the point that someone starting out who is likely not conditioned to do crossfit does not have to pay a premium to go to a CF facility to go through that conditioning process. (Actually I'm not even doing that anymore--this is just for fun).

So at what point does it become not crossfit? Do you have to RX everything to be doing crossfit, and everything else is circuit training? Was my workout yesterday not crossfit because I used an 18 lb kettlebell instead of 28, and used 55 lbs for cleans instead of 65? If I have to use bands to assist with pullups, does that mean I didn't do crossfit? Or if I did 4 rounds instead of 5?

I totally disagree with that whole line of thinking. CrossFit is scaleable and adaptable, and if you're in a box doing it, you're doing it.

You're doing CrossFit if you're taking part in a program at a box that has paid to use the name CrossFit. There's no magical point where you're "doing CrossFit" based on your skill or fitness level.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! the trainer will be able to help you with modifications when needed. When I started, I was in need of ALOT of modifications and I still do, but not as many. Never a better time to start than NOW!!! Keep us posted!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Just make sure you have a quality instructor/guide who knows how to keep you scaled down. There are some legitimately dangerous wingnuts in Crossfit Land....