This is why I don't buy cereal

Options

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Disappointing thread. I was thinking you got the runs or something....
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    disappointing thread. I was thinking maybe you had the runs of something
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The single portion of kashi cinnamon harvest shredded biscuits is 26 individual biscuits. It's not a bad portion size, IMO. But, I also eat eggs, milk and fruit along with it. I am not a fan of cereal snacking... or serial snacking either...
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    athena61 wrote: »
    My husband's idea of 1 serving is a full bowl.

I'm okay with the measured per gram suggested serving size. But in my house a box of cereal can go in a day.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use one serving of Shredded Wheat with almond milk as a snack. Definitely wouldn't cut it as a meal.

For me it's Quaker Corn Squares. It's not breakfast.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I adore breakfast cereal. It's a weakness of mine.

I only use it to top protein ice cream, because NO WAY is a serving enough for me.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    *Raises hand and runs away*
    Please don't lock me in a lab :(

Me too. I can eat one serving and be happy. But it took a while to get accustomed to the smaller portion. When I do eat only that for breakfast I usually need a mid morning snack.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weighed my cereal for the first time this morning and was suprised that a 30 g serving of cornflakes was more than I expected.
    As a student, cereal is a staple and I can't go without it. I was raised on "plain" cereals like cornflakes and rice crispies so I still view cereals like coco pops and frosties as a treat and not an everyday thing.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh out 56g (2 servings) of cornflakes with a cup of milk for a small meal... It doesn't keep me full for much longer than an hour or two, but that's fine with me.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't like cereal with milk (I'm weird, I know) so it's pretty easy for me to measure out the serving size and put it in a baggie for snacking at work (Puffins, Quaker Oat Squares, and Honey Ohs are my faves). But I do get bummed when the serving size is 3/4 cup and not a full cup (for the same amount of cals that another cereal would have at 1 cup).
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I don't like cereal with milk (I'm weird, I know) so it's pretty easy for me to measure out the serving size and put it in a baggie for snacking at work (Puffins, Quaker Oat Squares, and Honey Ohs are my faves). But I do get bummed when the serving size is 3/4 cup and not a full cup (for the same amount of cals that another cereal would have at 1 cup).

I don't put milk on my cereal either. I much prefer crunchy cereal over soggy cereal! :D
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean original is not to bad. 56 grams serving.12 grams of protein and 13 of fiber. With unsweetened almond milk i'm good for 3 hours or so.
    edited because spelling is hard. . .
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Throw some berries in there and bulk it up for low calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Moxie42 wrote: »

I don't put milk on my cereal either. I much prefer crunchy cereal over soggy cereal! :D

The trick is to put the milk only in the bowl, then add a just a bite or two of cereal at a time. That way the cereal never gets soggy.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My new favorite lunch is 1 cup of the original go lean cereal (serving size is 1 1/4 cup) and my 100 calorie aldi greek yogurt. Ends up being 244 calories and so filling! 22 grams of protein! Definitely not as good as a box of captain crunch though... lol
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I'm not a huge cereal person but occassionally, hubs will want cereal for dinner so I just take my dinner cals and have as many servings as I want within those cals.

For breakfast? Nope.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The key is to mix one serving of cereal with one serving of another cereal. By the time you've combined three, you've actually got a reasonable breakfast, and you've virtuously obeyed the strictures on the packets.

It's not low-cal, but hey, can't have everything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I mostly only eat cereal now if it's sprinkled on top of something. Yogurt/ protein pudding/fluff/cheesecake, usually around 30g, aka child size portion

Sometimes i cave and have a bowl for a snack or dessert, which is usually between 90-100g, add 200-250ml of full cream milk and it's a calorific and still not incredibly satisfying "meal".

ETA: I've seen some of the amazing cereal you guys in America have, peanut butter cheerios anyone? If i lived there i would NOT even venture down that aisle, i couldnt be trusted :noway:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of some kind of cereal (recommended serving size) every night but I have it with a bunch of other foods so it's not like I'm having it to fill me up (it won't). :)

I *do* have to portion the box into snack size baggies when I open it because, if I don't, my hand will be shoving itself inside that box all willy nilly and come out with handfuls of cereal repeatedly that won't get logged.