Ketogenic Diet

Options
cocolove444
cocolove444 Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2017 in Getting Started
Would like to know who has had success in losing weight while following a Ketogenic diet.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Some people have. Others don't. Keto is no success for weightloss. It still comes down to eating less calories than you need. Do you want to eat like this for the rest of your life? If not then don't do it as you only learn how to eat keto while losing weight. Once you switch back to your normal diet you'll most likely gain weight again as you don't know how much to eat.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Agree with what @yirara said. The very best thing you can do for yourself to be successful is to find a way to eat that is good for your body, good for your soul (by that I mean that it satisfies you and doesn't leave you with yearnings for food that takes you away from your goals), and is sustainable in the long run. You can learn a lot from any named diet out there, but you have to tweak your own way of eating to be successful.

I do well with low carb. I have diabetes and I need to watch my sugar and starches very carefully. That doesn't mean I won't eat bread or ice cream or potatoes; it does mean that I'm figuring out what balance of things gets me and keeps me healthy. This will be a lifelong process. It's supposed to be.

In short: try keto or LC if you like; you'll learn something about yourself. But it's not magic, and it isn't right for everyone. And give the Low Carber Daily Forum a try, there's lots of good information there.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do not fully agree with the first reply. Yes, everyone is different. I have continued to have pretty good success using keto. The biggest plus for me is that I have a LOT less cravings with keto than I've had with any other eating style. In short, here's my best resources that I use:

Background information:
    eatingacademy.com (A wealth of information from a medical professional's personal perspective and has some of his research.) (I'm still working through this slowly -- it's a TON of information.)

Understanding caloric/macronutrient intake needs:
    Keto calculator (a GREAT starting point for personalizing macronutrients -- update it with your weight every week!): https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Calorie calculator/Calorie variation (zig-zag to help break plateaus): https://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Be aware of your sodium/potassium/magnesium intake as you go into this. "Keto flu" is something a lot of people go through, but it can be minimized/avoided with thoughtful planning. I used to have a ton of carbs and unhealthy food. The first few days were pretty tough, but once you're settled into it with a good balance, it feels great!

Also, here are a couple of resources I have personally found to be valuable as I've gone into this head-first.

MFP Food planning and tracking using "net carb" ingredients (just be careful to double-check against a label or a reliable database (such as USDA's national nutrient database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list).

TERRAfit challenges. This is an outside program, and is not necessarily ketogenic, but I work keto within it to help my accountability. If you'd like a program to help you stay on track with weight loss, building healthy habits, and with support from a team I recommend checking it out. There are 3, 4, and 12-week programs that start at various times (a few times a month in my experience). If you look into it, please consider using my link to get into it: https://terrafit.com/joinme/sara-blom.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Also, I will add that a person can have a wonderfully diverse intake on keto. I have had success finding tweaks and alternatives to various foods which are delicious and keep me coming back for more! I do break keto every once in a while for potatoes or fresh homemade bread, but most of the time I'm "in." Fruits, vegetables, meats, legumes, dairy... it's all there. The main thing I have to do is control portions to keep my carb intake low and reasonably steady. I do six meals a day, and try to keep most meals under 12 carbs. Some are quite low, some are at the top of that scale.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I generally try to focus my higher carb intake before and after workouts, as I am hoping it better supports my quest to become more fit.

Best of luck to you!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    What some people here write that keto keeps you happy and fuller for longer is not neccessary true. Everybody is different. Some people thrive on fats, other on protein, others on carbs. Saying that everybody feels great eating keto is just not true; it's too individual to generalise about this.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I liked it in the beginning, lost only a little bit, purely because I realize I was not eating at deficit. The fats did not keep me satiated and I was still grazing and snacking (keto foods) all day. Although I kept my macros pretty strict at 75-80% fat, 20% protein, and 5% or less of carbs, it didn't make me lose any more weight than if I eat high carb and keep at deficit. The restrictions made me crave sugar and desserts so bad and keto desserts just don't do it for me. Now I eat anything I want as long as I'm at deficit and I am much more happier and satisfied. I just can't eat avocados, bacon and eggs for the rest of my life!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    optishot wrote: »
    Keto is just fine, I've been doing it for 1 year, lost 48 lbs. Aside from the mental clarity, being metabolic flexible is very beneficial to the body, not to mention the anti aging, cancer and Alzheimers and heart disease prenvention benefits. Look it up,also, kcals in vs kcals out is a myth, 1000 kcals of carbs/sugar is nowhere close to being the same as 1000 kcals of rich nutrient foods. I would argue that it is one of the easier diets, if you go out to a restaurant...get a steak (fatty one) and veggies....whats hard about that?

do you have any links to back up the claims that keto is anti aging,anti cancer and so on? I lost a lot of weight on a non keto diet(which I cant do due to health issues),I lost a lot of fat and improved my health markers. I do a low fat/low cholesterol diet (because of health issues) before I knew I had my health issue I tried keto and let me tell you I was sick (I dont mean just keto flu),I had no energy to even get out of bed, I had the nasty breath and sweat and my cholesterol went through the roof.

I did the diet because I have cholesterol issues(mine are hereditary but had no idea really) and was trying to get it down through diet alone. now I know that high fat and cholesterol for me can literally kill me(clog my arterie,cause heart attack,stroke,etc) as I have FH-familial hypercholesterolemia). so for me keto is a no go. I also lost my weight eating what I wanted and in moderation I made it fit. all your food is broken down as long as you dont have digestive issues, some foods are broken down slower if they have fiber in them compared to if they lack fiber. not to mention fruits,veggies,beans,legumes,and grains are carbs so is fiber,and carbs are sugar.

I eat a lot of carbs too most days Im over 200g. Im maintaining my weight purposely right now as Im trying to recomp for awhile. but even when I ate less calories and high carbs I still lost weight ,when I did keto for a month I lost maybe 7 lbs and I was doing it right,its just my body cant properly process fats and cholesterol like most people so for some,keto is not a way to eat.
  • wonderflair
    wonderflair Posts: 19 Member
    Options

do you have any links to back up the claims that keto is anti aging,anti cancer and so on?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/
    "This review summarizes the evidence supporting the hypothesis that ketogenic diets may be safely used as an adjuvant therapy to conventional radiation and chemotherapies and discusses the proposed mechanisms by which ketogenic diets may enhance cancer cell therapeutic responses...

Increased recognition of the safety and efficacy of using ketogenic diets in the treatment of epilepsy has resulted in successful application of this dietary intervention to other disorders. The most notable and well-studied use of a ketogenic diet is for the treatment of obesity popularized by Dr. Robert Atkins (see Fig. 1) (Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution 1972). Ketogenic diets have also been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of patients with glucose transporter defects and other inborn metabolic disorders [24]. The diet is reported to show promise in slowing the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [25], and there is a growing body of evidence suggesting ketogenic diets may be beneficial in other neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease [26]. In addition, there are case reports and small case studies indicating improvement in patients with autism [27] depression [28], polycystic ovary syndrome [29], and type 2 diabetes mellitus [18]...

Recently, ketogenic diets have been studied as an adjuvant to cancer therapy in both animal models and human case reports. As early as 1987, Tisdale et al. saw decreased tumor weight and improved cachexia in mice with colon adenocarcinoma xenografts eating a ketogenic diet [30]. Additional studies have shown that ketogenic diets reduce tumor growth and improve survival in animal models of malignant glioma [31–33], colon cancer [34], gastric cancer [35], and prostate cancer [36–38]. Furthermore, ketogenic diets have been hypothesized, with some supporting evidence, to potentiate the effects of radiation in malignant glioma models [39] as well as in non-small cell lung cancer models [5]. Fasting, which also induces a state of ketosis, has been shown to enhance responsiveness to chemotherapy in pre-clinical cancer therapy models as well as possibly ameliorating some of the normal tissue side effects seen with chemotherapy [40]. Fasting cycles are also reported to retard the growth of tumors and sensitize a range of cancer cell types to chemotherapy [40,41]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
    "Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury."

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

do you have any links to back up the claims that keto is anti aging,anti cancer and so on?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/
    "This review summarizes the evidence supporting the hypothesis that ketogenic diets may be safely used as an adjuvant therapy to conventional radiation and chemotherapies and discusses the proposed mechanisms by which ketogenic diets may enhance cancer cell therapeutic responses...

Increased recognition of the safety and efficacy of using ketogenic diets in the treatment of epilepsy has resulted in successful application of this dietary intervention to other disorders. The most notable and well-studied use of a ketogenic diet is for the treatment of obesity popularized by Dr. Robert Atkins (see Fig. 1) (Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution 1972). Ketogenic diets have also been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of patients with glucose transporter defects and other inborn metabolic disorders [24]. The diet is reported to show promise in slowing the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [25], and there is a growing body of evidence suggesting ketogenic diets may be beneficial in other neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease [26]. In addition, there are case reports and small case studies indicating improvement in patients with autism [27] depression [28], polycystic ovary syndrome [29], and type 2 diabetes mellitus [18]...

Recently, ketogenic diets have been studied as an adjuvant to cancer therapy in both animal models and human case reports. As early as 1987, Tisdale et al. saw decreased tumor weight and improved cachexia in mice with colon adenocarcinoma xenografts eating a ketogenic diet [30]. Additional studies have shown that ketogenic diets reduce tumor growth and improve survival in animal models of malignant glioma [31–33], colon cancer [34], gastric cancer [35], and prostate cancer [36–38]. Furthermore, ketogenic diets have been hypothesized, with some supporting evidence, to potentiate the effects of radiation in malignant glioma models [39] as well as in non-small cell lung cancer models [5]. Fasting, which also induces a state of ketosis, has been shown to enhance responsiveness to chemotherapy in pre-clinical cancer therapy models as well as possibly ameliorating some of the normal tissue side effects seen with chemotherapy [40]. Fasting cycles are also reported to retard the growth of tumors and sensitize a range of cancer cell types to chemotherapy [40,41]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
    "Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury."

adjuvant:: one that helps or facilitates: such as
    a : an ingredient (as in a prescription or a solution) that modifies the action of the principal ingredient
    b : something (such as a drug or method) that enhances the effectiveness of medical treatment used chemotherapy as an adjuvant to surgery
    c : a substance (such as one added to a vaccine) enhancing the immune response to an antigen

so with that said its used in conjuction(in addition) with say chemo and other therapies.I know ketos origin was to be used for those with seizure disorders and then they found that they also help those with type 2,pcos and insulin resistance. as for parkinsons and alzheimers most of those studies it states were done on rats/mice and the others were uncontrolled studies. it says nowhere in the post above that it involved humans. humans and rats are two different beasts in more ways that one.

o therefore keto alone is not going to prevent or put your cancer into remission. doesnt mean you will age more gracefully either. There have been many people who have done keto diets and still died from cancer. if keto was the cure all then most oncologist would recommend keto along with radiation/chemo. keto is just a another way of eating. sure for some it has its benefits but its not for everyone and not a cure all for everything.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    A keto diet is considered anti-inflammatory, so yes, there is scientific proof that it reduces inflammation in your body (inflammation is what causes diseases like cancer and alzheimers). My Harvard trained GI doctor has me on a keto type diet and I've lost 50 lbs in about 10 months. Went from 235 to 185 and I am a 5'9" female, no exercise whatsoever until the last month. So yes it works, it depends on you what plans is "easiest" for you.

you lost because you were in a deficit. if you were to eat over your maintenance calories every day you would gain weight. weight is lost in a deficit no matter what way of eating you have(vegan,vegetarian,paleo,lchf,hclf).
  • kokonani
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    A keto diet is considered anti-inflammatory, so yes, there is scientific proof that it reduces inflammation in your body (inflammation is what causes diseases like cancer and alzheimers). My Harvard trained GI doctor has me on a keto type diet and I've lost 50 lbs in about 10 months. Went from 235 to 185 and I am a 5'9" female, no exercise whatsoever until the last month. So yes it works, it depends on you what plans is "easiest" for you.

you lost because you were in a deficit. if you were to eat over your maintenance calories every day you would gain weight. weight is lost in a deficit no matter what way of eating you have(vegan,vegetarian,paleo,lchf,hclf).

This exactly. Deficit equals loss, no matter how or what you eat. On keto, consuming so much fat May satiate a person better than , let's say eating muffins and cake. But in the end, keto is still CICO. It doesn't magically burn fat because of the macros.
  • kokonani
    Options
    Meant to say, *than eating muffins and cake*