Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Calorie budget, meet the world. Enjoy.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use a 125ml measuring cup so I always know exactly how much I'm drinking! Thanks for the comments everyone :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Not if you count it.

If I drink wine, I'm not losing weight. I don't have much room for it AND it makes me eat all the things.

Like I'm doing right now.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    When I got new wine glasses I put one on the scale and measured out 150ml, so I know where to pour. I have to make sure hubby doesn't pour as his measures are closer to 175ml which knocks everything out!
  • jilly91877
    jilly91877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs almost 5 years ago, and did not cut out wine or beer. I did cut back, because logging it in to MFP made me realize I was overdoing it. It's been 5 years, and while I still go up and down in my weight, I haven't gained it all back yet, and have maintained my improved fitness level. I would absolutely not be able to stick to a diet that didn't include wine. However, like others are saying, drinking too much does make me feel a little less worried about that extra cheese or grabbing a handful of chips after dinner. If I stick to my 1 glass or 1 beer, it's just enough without sending me to a place where I will overindulge. I also do feel better physically, less bloated and "intestinally" healthier. Not to mention, the $$$ savings lol. Good luck!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    At 1200 calories the alcohol calories screw up my macros. I drank wine, then switched to 1.5 oz scotch a night. I finally just cut it out entirely except for very special occasions. With wine I can also fall into the munching and mixing bowl scenario. Not so with scotch. Easier with neither.

I don't munch with wine, I do with beer.

Scotch makes me want a cigar.

Had beer and wine last night and still came slightly under my goal for the day. But I ran 5K to do it, won't have that luxury today :(
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Tried posting a pic but was too big. Anyway my wine glass has ounces and calories right on it.

want!!!! do you remember where you got it? i'm just going to go to the amazon and search . . .
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Tried posting a pic but was too big. Anyway my wine glass has ounces and calories right on it.

want!!!! do you remember where you got it? i'm just going to go to the amazon and search . . .

found. mfp has ruined me, they're not precise enough. calories in pinot noir are not equivalent to calories in chardonnay.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options

found. mfp has ruined me, they're not precise enough. calories in pinot noir are not equivalent to calories in chardonnay.

Close enough, though. Currently in my cart.

Here's the link for other wine drinkers: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_16?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wine+glass+with+ounces+marked&sprefix=wine+glass+with+,aps,212&crid=WU0W36MXKZAD
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight even having a few binge nights over the past 15 weeks, including 2 trips away where I drank half a bottle for 4 nights in a row. I just count it in my overall week and cut back on other days. I couldn't do it if I couldn't have my wine.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do drink wine while losing, but make sure to pay close attention to how much I'm pouring. Keeping a liquid measuring cup handy has been helpful - remember what your average person will pour in to a glass could be 1.5-2 servings of wine. With practice you'll be better able to eyeball, but it never hurts to keep refreshing that because we have a way of gradually increasing our "eyeball" sizes without noticing. As long as it fits in to your calories you'll be fine.

Remember that social obligations aren't an obligation to drink any more than you choose. If the people around you are putting undue pressure on you it might be time for a heart to heart about respecting your choices.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Fill it to the top. Then you don't have to log it :)

But, yeah. They need at least a red and white option. Calories are close enough withing the 2 for me.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread and found it interesting- thought I would share this ( I know it will be useful to me!):

bob786yg3w8h.jpg
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.
    That's not true . Calories doesn't only play a role , if you eat nothing but pizza but hit your calorie goal you will gain weight because of the high sodium and terrible carbs and fats .

Yeah, that is not true.
  • joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The problem with wine: it has a built-in system for suppressing your judgement so that you drink more wine!! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.
    That's not true . Calories doesn't only play a role , if you eat nothing but pizza but hit your calorie goal you will gain weight because of the high sodium and terrible carbs and fats .

False
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

You might gain a bit of extra water weight due to the sodium but you aren't gaining fat specifically because you ate pizza. What utter drivel.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Your body will digest a big dose of refined carbs or sugar, and send it into your bloodstream so quickly- that unless you are running a marathon or playing basketball- most of it will be stored as fat before your body even has a chance to use it. The unused calories go straight to your fat cells and are not even available for immediate energy.

So it's possible to eat all empty or "bad" calories ( like sugar, or refined carbohydrates)- while eating a reduced calorie diet, and not BE HEALTHY ( or even have enough energy to function)......so then you eat more- and gain more weight.

But if you eat fewer calories than your body is using- you will lose weight. No disputing this.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Your body will digest a big dose of refined carbs or sugar, and send it into your bloodstream so quickly- that unless you are running a marathon or playing basketball- most of it will be stored as fat before your body even has a chance to use it.

What you're describing here is called 'de novo lipogenesis' - generating new fat out of other nutrients - and is quite rare.

The body can convert energy between different nutrient types, but it is reluctant to do so, as there is a loss of energy in the conversion.

Spare carbs in the bloodstream are more likely to be stored as glycogen, or used up straight away in the energetic rush that follows eating the carbs.

At the same time, fat in the bloodstream is surplus to requirements and will be stored rather than being used up as might otherwise have happened.

It's a complicated bookkeeping process in which the body aims to use up the energy available in the most efficient way possible - ie to keep fat as fat, and carbs as carbs, unless there is no alternative.

For a significant amount of new fat to be created, the diet has to be very unbalanced, with a lot of excess carbs and very little fat. A traditional junk food diet does not qualify! There is no shortage of fat on a pizza.

Anyway, as you say, even when new fat is created from carbs, it doesn't cause more weight gain than if the same amount of calories was consumed as fat and stored directly. It all comes down to calories in the end.