Suicide rates at a 40 year high among teenagers and young adults

Options
13»

Replies

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    How come people in under developed countries don't seem to have this issue? Oh, I know, because they're more concerned about finding their next meal and living to see the next day. When life is literally day-to-day suicide doesn't seem to be an issue.

I think you need to look into suicide rates in under developed countries, it happens everywhere.

Sometimes I think this is part of the issue, life is sometimes too developed for us.
    We're all on a one man boat with holes, it's sinking, the sea is the seven deadly sins and some of us haven't learned to swim.

Also not bashing your opinion, I find it interesting to hear others views.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »
    This will be an unpopular position but I happen to feel it's the truth - the more we alllow the younger generation (and anyone for that matter) to believe:

- there's no consequences for their actions (it's always someone else's fault);
    - that the "feelings" of the individual are more important & carry more weight than what's important for they rest of society;
    - that it's everyone else's responsibility to take care of you, and not you're responsibility to care care of yourself

They are doomed, unfortunately. If there's an increase in suicideits because there's an increase in the number of people who've never learned how to cope with adversity and hardship.

I agree with this to a point.

However many mental illnesses are indeed that, an illnesses and not something taught or learn. Depression is not the only illness, there's more "serious" genetic illnesses. And that has nothing to do with what we allow the young generation to think/believe.

And then, you see many families where they have more than one child, raised the same and only one is struggling.

This is a very complicated complex issue that you can't pint point the exact cause.
    Even for more serious mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, the causes are generics and environmental.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    This will be an unpopular position but I happen to feel it's the truth - the more we alllow the younger generation (and anyone for that matter) to believe:

- that the "feelings" of the individual are more important & carry more weight than what's important for they rest of society;
    - that it's everyone else's responsibility to take care of you, and not you're responsibility to care care of yourself

They are doomed, unfortunately. If there's an increase in suicideits because there's an increase in the number of people who've never learned how to cope with adversity and hardship.

As a young person I was suicidal at many points. Somehow I survived, which is mildly suprising to me.

A quick snap shot of my teenage years ... which of these hardships should I have learned to cope with better?

- homelessness at 15 (proper sleeping on the streets and squats strewn with dirty syringes homeless not sleeping on a mates couch)

- rape. More than one. More than once. Many times in fact.

- untreated mental illness (bipolar disorder)

- an abusive relationship with an 11 yr my senior, heroin addicted (read desperate junkie), paranoid schizophrenic man

- etcetera etcetera

... you have no idea what 'hardship' a person, young or old, has endured before considering, attempting to or succeeding in taking their life.

For what it's worth even now as a 35yo mother of two, full time working registered nurse with a loving partner and stable life, I still struggle some days not to become a statistic.

Perhaps I never learnt to cope with hardship, right?

I am so sorry for your rough years. Amazing work on "surviving" and making a life for yourself. Keep your head up high and continue fighting every day.
    Hugs!!
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've had this talk with my kids several times because I have been diagnosed with symptoms of clinical depression. I always tell myself I have people that I need to live for. That has kept me going at times. I have also stated this to my kids that I need them very much and I can't replace them.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

As a young person I was suicidal at many points. Somehow I survived, which is mildly suprising to me.

A quick snap shot of my teenage years ... which of these hardships should I have learned to cope with better?

- homelessness at 15 (proper sleeping on the streets and squats strewn with dirty syringes homeless not sleeping on a mates couch)

- rape. More than one. More than once. Many times in fact.

- untreated mental illness (bipolar disorder)

- an abusive relationship with an 11 yr my senior, heroin addicted (read desperate junkie), paranoid schizophrenic man

- etcetera etcetera

... you have no idea what 'hardship' a person, young or old, has endured before considering, attempting to or succeeding in taking their life.

For what it's worth even now as a 35yo mother of two, full time working registered nurse with a loving partner and stable life, I still struggle some days not to become a statistic.

Perhaps I never learnt to cope with hardship, right?
    Clearly you did - and my guess is that you knew how to fight, the strength to overcome and the will power to do what's necessary to survive. I don't know you but I'm glad you're here to share your story with me.

Having said that, I was a teenager once just like you. I may have had different experiences with hardship and adversity than you, but I had them. Most people do. But the difference (and this is where you and I might very well be similar) is that we lived in different times. And back to the original topic, which is that the suicide rate is at an all-time high at THIS point in time, ight now - not 20 years ago (in your case) or 35 years ago (in my case).

Social media, government, schools, societal trend in general - all responsible. The mandate that everyone is special, everyone must be accepted regardless of how they act, what they do, or what they say. Those who dare speak up and say anything to the contrary are labeled "intolerant". Everyone gets a trophy, and everyone passes. Any idiot can become an overnight YouTube sensation. Everyone has a free pass nowadays.

Well, that's great if the ultimate goal is to make everyone "feel good" - but it doesn't prepare young kids & teens for the reality they'll eventually have to contend with. Some will get slapped with reality in their teens; some in their 20s. Clearly, we're doing something wrong - these were just my personal feelings on the topic.