Proper Min Age for dating the opposite sex?

Options
worldtraveller321
worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
Just curious now. Age ranges of what to contact. I am 39. not really into dating but try once in a while. would making the min age of 25 and up. be ok to work with? or would that seem weird? would going 30+ seem more sane? and not freak anyone out?

Replies

• Eat2Brute
    Eat2Brute Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number (as long as they're 18+). I'd just focus on their maturity level and maybe where they are in their lives. Oh, and obviously how well you guys connect.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Eat2Brute wrote: »
    Age is just a number (as long as they're 18+). I'd just focus on their maturity level and maybe where they are in their lives. Oh, and obviously how well you guys connect.

I'm guessing an 18 year old is not going to be far enough in their lives where I'd ever want a date with him. But that's just me. *shrugs*
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The Dating Equation: ½(your age) + 7

vua0vv893mfm.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    OP, according the the dating age equation you can date anyone 26.5 or older and it won't be creepy.

My advice. Don't date anyone under 25, ever.
  • cee134
    Options
    the rule is half your age plus 7- anything less and its creepy.

I have violated this then.

Which way?
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

vua0vv893mfm.jpg
    Oops, broke that rule, forgot to add 7
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

vua0vv893mfm.jpg

I'm Golden.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    This is my rule of thumb:

If they're young enough to be your kid, too young.
    Old enough to be your parent, too old.

Anything else, fair game.

I think that's a pretty good idea.

When I was divorced at 35, I decided 25-40 was my range.
    I think now at age 40 if I were single I'd say 30-50 would be my range, but it would have to be a guy who was a "young" 50 if that makes sense.

Personal preference accounts for a lot, though. I've always dated guys my own age or younger. My ex husband and current husband are both several years younger.

• Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    All depends, if it is just for fun then that age range is a bit wider but for something serious probably a 10-15 year age gap is maximum
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

This is what I usually say but then I remember I know a woman who had her first child when she was 14... which would mean 25 is out for him.

Yikes. There are some exceptions but generally I stick with this.

I know a woman who had her daughter at 13 and that daughter had a son at 14. First woman was a grandmother at 27!!! True story. Both are my cousins so I know them well. :#
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I was hit on by an 18 year old the other day. Even though I was flattered it was weird because I'm twice her age. So definitely not someone half your age.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

I think that's a pretty good idea.

When I was divorced at 35, I decided 25-40 was my range.
    I think now at age 40 if I were single I'd say 30-50 would be my range, but it would have to be a guy who was a "young" 50 if that makes sense.

Personal preference accounts for a lot, though. I've always dated guys my own age or younger. My ex husband and current husband are both several years younger.

I'm divorced now at cough48cough so I keep an open mind about everything. But I have to draw the line at some of these youngsters. I have an adult son. Also I'm not interested in anyone who has more in common with my dad than with me. B)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Agree with this.

In my head my general idea is ~10 years or younger or older, but I'm open-minded. Assess people as individuals.

Oldest guy I ever 'dated' was over twice my age. It made me a bit uncomfortable when I found out his kids were around my age, plus he failed to mention that he was married.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    612 days older than the same sex people you are dating.
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    the rule is half your age plus 7- anything less and its creepy.

Thankful my husband didn't know this when we met. Married over 20 years, so it was fine. We fit the equation a couple years later.