Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• haleyhawkins
    haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
    I eat like 3 large zucchini (1 spiralized, 1 broiled and 1 made into fries that are unbattered in the airfryer), a bunch of raw veggies and a piece of chicken for dinner. Is that ok? Or am I going way over in calories that way
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    IMHO there is nothing better than this......... Inspiralizer. inspiralized.com/shop/
    And she has tons of recipes. I got one myself and since then I go 4 more for family members.

Life's too short. I'd rather pay $8 at Whole Foods.

My b-hole tightened a little when I read that. $8 for zucchini???

Exactly. He is paying $8 for one spirilized zucchini when a zucchini costs around $1. Wow... life really is too short.

That's just craziness, but I guess each to their own.

I guess I can't talk since I did order pints of ice cream online for $12.00 a pint a few years ago.

Once I get through my cookies for my ice cream I want to attempt to make a protein version of this (her ice creams seem amazing, but not in the budget to order).

https://seansskillet.com/2017/05/05/review-little-gs-going-to-the-circus/

Today was the first time in a long time I almost couldn't finish my lunch, because it was so voluminous.

I had around 520+ frozen green beans, 260-270 grams of broccoli, two tablespoons of Opa Greek Yogurt Feta Dill, & a Healthy Choice frozen meal thrown in the mix.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    miratps wrote: »
    Daft question, so forgive me. Ever since I went back to having volume meals I feel it takes me more to get full/satisfied. Does your stomach expand again or something or is it just a mental thing?

I would think it would be a mental thing.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    I eat like 3 large zucchini (1 spiralized, 1 broiled and 1 made into fries that are unbattered in the airfryer), a bunch of raw veggies and a piece of chicken for dinner. Is that ok? Or am I going way over in calories that way

Do you track everything you eat? If not then you need to eat more than the 800-900 you consistently log.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I did the most basic of fluffs today to start experimenting - cup almond milk, packet of pp and half a teaspon of xanthan gum. I got more of a mousse than a fluff but dang that stuff kept me full for hours!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    I did the most basic of fluffs today to start experimenting - cup almond milk, packet of pp and half a teaspon of xanthan gum. I got more of a mousse than a fluff but dang that stuff kept me full for hours!

How much is the packs of xanthan gum you bought? I've been buying mine at Giant (haven't had to buy it in a long time since I stopped making protein ice cream for awhile) & it was around $10.00-$11.00 a bag. I think Wal-Mart started to carry it, but in packs so I'll have to see if it ends up being cheaper.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @pielattes1 love your user name. For thin mint ice cream fluff I use giant yeti cup full of crushed
    ice, Quest cookies and cream (1/2 scoop), unsweet almond milk (1/3 cup) and a dash of peppermint extract (go easy, you can add more later), 1/4 tps xantham and a few drops of liquid Splenda. It doesn't work for me in a blender, so I use the food processor.

I broke down and bought a tub of the cookies & cream protein, since they didn't have the single packets. I made this but just made it into a shake instead and I was very happy with it!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member

How much is the packs of xanthan gum you bought? I've been buying mine at Giant (haven't had to buy it in a long time since I stopped making protein ice cream for awhile) & it was around $10.00-$11.00 a bag. I think Wal-Mart started to carry it, but in packs so I'll have to see if it ends up being cheaper.

I looked in my grocery store and it's $11.99 for a small bag. I guess it would last a while though since I only need a little for each batch.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

Honestly I didn't look, it's the Red Mill bag, I got it at Whole Foods.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    I actually found a smaller bag today for $9 and I bought it. It might be a little more cost-wise for the smaller bag, but makes more sense for me to have a this amount. Expires early next year.
    I also got cookies n cream protein powder which I'll try tonight as ice cream!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Wait so whey is better for ice cream and casein for fluff? Why wouldn't casein be better for ice cream too? Gah. I'm confused. I'm a PEScience snickerdoodle girl for basic *kitten*, but honestly BSN peanut butter cookie is the best protein powder I've ever had and I'm concerned about it not making great ice cream. I have to lookup what blend it is.

Also, drunk again so if that made sense, great. If not. Carry on.

I'm confused too because the protein powder I used the first two times I made the ice cream was whey and it definitely wasn't as "ice creamy" as when I used the whey/casein blend. I'll trust @ElvenToad though since she seems to be the protein ice cream expert! :p;)

haha I don't know about that I'm still learning too :p

I've never tried using a whey/casein blend but it sounds like it worked better for you! Don't be confused, mine was 100% casein so that's probably why I had such a hard time with it.

I've been trying to convince myself for a couple of weeks now to scale back to making ice cream only once per day. It's been a twice a day thing now for a couple of months. And now here I am trying to convince myself I don't need to order a tub of that BSN peanut butter cookie... which is a whey/casein blend but.. but.. ice cream <3
  • ElvenToad
    @nowine4me that is SO pretty and looks amazing!
  • ElvenToad

Lucky Vitamin online has a good price on xanthan gum, as does Amazon. My Walmart sells the little packets of it in the gluten free section for $1 each but you only get like .32 ounce for that price so not a good deal unless you just want to try it out first.

• ElvenToad
    @maisiba Wow you are quite the experimenter!

I don't make fluff at all, I only tried it once and it was an epic fail. See we all have our strengths :#

I'm not sure if your trying to make ice cream or fluff but it kinda sounds like your going for ice cream?

You say your ice cream is soupy? From your recipe it looks like you are halving the ingredients but not including the syrup. So if you decide to try ice cream again I would suggest you up your pp to 15g, and reduce your almond milk to 70mils and add 30mils of sugar free pancake syrup. If you need to substitute the syrup, go for 2-3g Truvia honey plus an ounce of vanilla greek yogurt.

I've never made my ice cream without the syrup so I have no idea what the texture/consistency would be like. Although I have made a strawberry sorbet in the blender which was just frozen strawberries, vanilla pp, Truvia honey, and greek yogurt. It turned out fantastic so maybe it would work with ice cream. And others in the thread have reported success using the yogurt.

Also when you say you couldn't get your ice cream to fluff, I'm not sure I understand. For me (in a blender) it will rise and thicken once its fully blended and double in volume from just being crushed ice. I definitely get A LOT of it (not halving the recipe though), about 6 cups worth or a 1.5 quart bowl full which is not quite as much volume as protein fluff but it makes up for that by being ice cream :)
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2017
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your trying to make ice cream or fluff but it kinda sounds like your going for ice cream?
    After I failed with the ice cream at first, I started this "in between" version. It's in between basic fluff (made in a bowl without any ice, like in the video posted in this thread) and your ice cream. It actually works pretty well and I think the consistency is in between the basic fluff and your ice cream version as well. I like it because I can use Whey and it's faster too (and yes, I used more milk because there is no syrup in this version). It fluffs pretty well and is creamier than the basic fluff.
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Also when you say you couldn't get your ice cream to fluff, I'm not sure I understand. For me (in a blender) it will rise and thicken once its fully blended and double in volume from just being crushed ice. I definitely get A LOT of it (not halving the recipe though), about 6 cups worth or a 1.5 quart bowl full which is not quite as much volume as protein fluff but it makes up for that by being ice cream :)
    I'm sure my problem was a weak blender (by the time the ice cubes were crushed it was all very liquid) and me using casein. I tried using the blender again with one of my experiments which worked well in the food processor but couldn't get that version to fluff in the bender either, so my blender might just not be suitable for fluff. I think I'm ready to give it another go with your ice cream version now that I know where the pitfalls are. I had planned on reducing the milk with the added syrup but thanks a lot for all your tips.

What I can really recommend trying is using ice cubes out of black coffee. I think it enhances the taste well for basically no calories (for fluffs/ice creams where it fits obviously).