Feeling frustrated with my family

Options
2»

Replies

• imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »
    I give up. I don't think anyone understands what's frustrating me. It's just a dumb rant. Thanks to those who replied, but I'm out.

what kind of responses were you hoping for?? people told you to work with what you have while you are there...what else were you hoping to hear??

I didn't make this post to complain or ask what to do about the types of food that are available here. I know I need to make do with the food I have and I'm doing it gladly. I made this post as a vent because I'm frustrated that when I make efforts I'm told what I'm eating is unhealthy, but there are no healthier alternatives. I guess it makes me annoyed and doesnt make any sense to me. But whatever. Probably shouldn't have even posted.
  • imanibelle
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't think he's trying to make me fail or be miserable. I think he wants to be healthier, but just isn't doing it right now. It just frustrates me that my efforts get criticized as not healthy and that mixed messages are being sent. I shouldn't get mad about it, but I try not to be rude to him because hes my dad and just felt the need to vent here.
    Seems like it's all or nothing - either we all eat nothing but fried chicken and au gratin potatoes or we ban a bunch of foods and go on some expensive food regime. Why can't we be more moderate and just eat better with less portions and not fry everything or put butter on everything? Oh, right, thats unhealthy because it might involve eggs or oatmeal.
    I know I come off as horrible person on here, but it just makes no sense. I never tell my dad what he should or shouldn't eat.
  • jennsavage3
    jennsavage3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd say your dad maybe feels defensive of his own food choices. There's not much you can do about that, but eat what you can and just let him know you appreciate his supporting you and helping you during this time. And vent on MFP if needed :)
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    240 to 180s is a gigantic weight loss -- especially with a limited variety of food to choose from! Your dad probably sees that you've done what he hasn't even though he has the ability to make the same food choices, and he's (maybe subconsciously) sabotaging your efforts to show that the weight loss is not sustainable in the long run.

Once you are able to buy your own food, consider eating a very healthy lunch while you're out of the house (grocery stores often have reasonably priced to-go meals, like salads with chicken) and eat what your dad offers while at home. Maybe buy some vegetables you think your dad will eat and share them at dinnertime. My thinking is not to alienate your dad by seeming like you are "better than him" but to gradually help him add more varied and vitamin-rich foods to his diet. You could even buy and cook dinner one or two nights a week.
  • imanibelle
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thx to everyone who replied, even those who said i sound unappreciative. Venting makes stuff better and I feel a little calmer now. I'll take your advice into consideration. Also, could be true that I don't appreciate it. However, that doesn't get rid of the frustration and I probably should just move out when I get the resources.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sometimes parents respond with anger when their child makes choices beyond the parent's experience. Parents who don't have much formal education sometimes criticize their children for wanting to finish high school or go to college. I don't know what causes this, maybe it's fear of being left behind or feeling inadequate. I understand the frustration - you're doing a great thing to live a better life, and they aren't supporting you in that. They are supporting you in some things, though, so hopefully you can ride it out and keep working towards the life you want. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are able to do this, but, here is a link to the current USDA dietary guidelines: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/dietary-guidelines...

Maybe if you could show them that you are following USDA advice for portions and types of foods that may help?

Good luck with your parents!

• imanibelle
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I'll try your advice, especially USDA advice, though with not many healthy ingredients I probably won't be cooking anyone dinner besides me. Noone else will want eggs and oatmeal for dinner lol. But I'll try the other advice. :)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I give up. I don't think anyone understands what's frustrating me. It's just a dumb rant. Thanks to those who replied, but I'm out.

what kind of responses were you hoping for?? people told you to work with what you have while you are there...what else were you hoping to hear??

I didn't make this post to complain or ask what to do about the types of food that are available here. I know I need to make do with the food I have and I'm doing it gladly. I made this post as a vent because I'm frustrated that when I make efforts I'm told what I'm eating is unhealthy, but there are no healthier alternatives. I guess it makes me annoyed and doesnt make any sense to me. But whatever. Probably shouldn't have even posted.

There is a blog function of this website if you didn't want responses to your vent, just for future reference. Although you did get a lot of good advice moving forward.

Sometimes it's nice to get thoughts out in private. But that won't happen on a forum where others are free to reply. I wish you luck until you can move out.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This sounds incredibly frustrating! The end of the month can't come soon enough for you!
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    He may be frustrated with himself for not doing something he knows he needs to do/wants to do and is projecting that on you. I sometimes do this to my husband when I'm frustrated with myself :/
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Conversation
    "Eggs, oatmeal, fish and rice aren't healthy."

"Dad, I've lost 60 lbs eating this way and I plan on losing more. It would be nice if you could support me instead of criticizing me. I didn't ask for your advice, I asked for support."

Tell him what you need. He might want to help but doesn't know how to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sounds to me that Dad has put the "healthy eating" in the too hard basket and has decided that unless you're subsiding on steamed veg and fish, you aren't being healthy, so there's no point in even trying. He just projecting his issues on to you.

Healthy isn't an is or isn't proposition. It's a scale. And when you might not be able to hit "healthy", "healthiER" is a perfectly acceptable alternative. You've lost a tremendous amount of weight doing what you're doing, and that's done wonders for your body, even if you may stand to be getting in some more vitamins and nutrients and variety of foods.

Keep doing what you're doing, keep mastering the "uh-huh, Dad" and count down to the end of the month. Heck, he may eventually realise there's something to be learned from you.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    There are people in this world that refuse to admit how unhealthy they truly are. Your dad sounds like one of them. His denial is then verbalized by justifying his dietary habits. Take some advice from the penguins of Madagascar: smile and wave boys, smile and wave. Ignore his commentary and just keep on doing the best you can.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My flat is being renovated and because of that I had to move back home for some weeks. I feel your frustration, I've had quite a few arguments with my parents and some good talks that cleared the air. I think, sometimes it's more healthy to really have an argument than to bottle everything up.

My situation is different from yours as I do have enough money to just buy food and my parents do eat quite well. It might be an idea to try and change just a bit of the food that is being bought. Both sides are not satisfied with what the other group is eating. Maybe you can compromise on something that you both agree on that is healthy that you can both integrate into your diet? Some kind of vegetable? Some lean meat?

The idea of cooking for the whole family is a good one, too. If you tell them, you want to cook on the next weekend, you can give them a list of things you need.