Aliens. Please discuss. (Fun Thread)

Options
_NicLovin_
_NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
Preface:
If we don't already have plans, every Saturday and Sunday morning, my fiancé wakes up and watches filmed lectures, conferences, and documentaries relating to aliens/extra-terrestrials. I have absolutely grown to love this little ritual of his, and it always results in some lively discussions around the topic. As he's preparing to go out of town for a few days, I'm realizing that I will miss this exchange that I've become so accustomed to! Perhaps I can attempt to re-create it here? :smiley:

Aliens. Yes? No? Maybe?

Replies

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Yes and maybe they are also angels?
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    Yes and maybe they are also angels?

I've heard this theory! There was an interview with an ex-military general, who theorized that one reason disclosure isn't happening is because it would shake the foundations of so many religious institutions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find it highly unlikely that in the vastness that is the universe, that Earth would be the only planet with life. As far as aliens visiting this planet...I guess I'm kinda agnostic on that the same way I am with religion...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Preface:
    If we don't already have plans, every Saturday and Sunday morning, my fiancé wakes up and watches filmed lectures, conferences, and documentaries relating to aliens/extra-terrestrials. I have absolutely grown to love this little ritual of his, and it always results in some lively discussions around the topic. As he's preparing to go out of town for a few days, I'm realizing that I will miss this exchange that I've become so accustomed to! Perhaps I can attempt to re-create it here? :smiley:

Aliens. Yes? No? Maybe?

No.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't think so. I've been called a "doubting thomas" before. I don't know if I'm that but I'm typically a huge skeptic on so many things, religion included. I suppose I'm kind of agnostic myself.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    i don't really believe in aliens. i mean *maybe* they're out there, but if they ever found us they'd be so far advanced they'd have no reason to take notice of us either, unless we were in their way somehow.

it'd be like explaining yourself to a cockroach before you stomp it to death.

though i do believe in bigfoot so idk.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we were the ones to find aliens and discover they're morons? After years upon years of science fiction leading us to believe aliens are some advanced species, the truth is revealed they're just....dumb.

I've always thought this. Why do we assume they'd be so much more advanced? Maybe they shirk proper birth control or sometimes take three tries just to flip a light switch too.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    i don't really believe in aliens. i mean *maybe* they're out there, but if they ever found us they'd be so far advanced they'd have no reason to take notice of us either, unless we were in their way somehow.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we were the ones to find aliens and discover they're morons? After years upon years of science fiction leading us to believe aliens are some advanced species, the truth is revealed they're just....dumb.

Or so completely alien there's no way we can compare our intelligence to them. While we normally think sentient life forms, extraterrestrial life does not have to be sentient. Or anything like us that we can even compare something like intelligence.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options

There (FINALLY) is a crypto conference being held very near to where I live! Excited to hear about Bigfoot theories via attending a conference, which will be the featured topic of discussion.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    tgcakef wrote: »
    Or so completely alien there's no way we can compare our intelligence to them. While we normally think sentient life forms, extraterrestrial life does not have to be sentient. Or anything like us that we can even compare something like intelligence.

So true! I'm not sure I'm recalling this correctly, but I believe I saw some sort of news story "marine microbes" that collected on the windows of the ISS.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Statistically speaking, yes they exist. Have they ever visited earth. No.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, yes they exist. Have they ever visited earth. No.

Tell that to my crop circles

Tell that to Gary Busey.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    If they come here,they'll probably try to eat us.

I reckon we taste like chicken.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    If they come here,they'll probably try to eat us.

I reckon we taste like chicken.

You're not eating the same people I'm eating