Solar Eclipse (August 21, 2017) count down!

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    q3d9lpo8nigh.png

Well wtf am I supposed to do now??? No time to order new ones.

Check your library, NASA provided thousands of approved glasses to libraries for free. Also most Lowe's seem to have them. Or come to Iowa, we are getting a shipment to our Eye care office on Wednesday :D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    q3d9lpo8nigh.png

Well wtf am I supposed to do now??? No time to order new ones.

Check your library, NASA provided thousands of approved glasses to libraries for free. Also most Lowe's seem to have them. Or come to Iowa, we are getting a shipment to our Eye care office on Wednesday :D

I've heard the library makes you watch a 45 minute video on the sun and stars and stuff to get them. Which I would totally do for nothing :smiley:

Ha! Me too.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to take a picture of the eclipse?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You should be able to look at it with the naked eye during the 2 mins of totality if you're in the zone.

Me, I've been practicing looking at the sun all week so I should be immune by then.

It cant be that bad for you. I can remember as a kid having contests to see who could stare at the sun the longest during recess. I don't think it has to do anything with my eyesight being FUBAR now at all.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm a little ways north of Dallas, and we won't get totality here. We have to wait until 2024 for that one. I'll wait.
  • cee134
    Options
    Previous guidance from NASA had recommended consumer make sure glasses have the ISO number 12312-2 printed on them. However, some fakes are printing that on their glasses when despite not meeting the requirements. So, do not rely on seeing "ISO number 12312-2" on the glasses. Instead, make sure they are from a recommended manufacturer.

NASA officials say only these five manufacturers make certified, approved eclipse glasses:

• Baader Planetarium
    • Rainbow Symphony
    • Thousand Oaks Optical
    • TSE 17
    • American Paper Optics

In addition to these five, The American Astronomical Society recognizes the following manufacturers as safe:

Celestron
    DayStar
    Explore Scientific
    Lunt Solar Systems
    Meade Instruments
  • cee134
    Options
    “For those who choose to experience this eclipse outside the path, a partial eclipse is all they will see. Even if the sun is 99.9% eclipsed for these observers, they will not experience the full, jaw-dropping, knee-buckling, emotionally-overloading, completely overwhelming spectacle that is totality.” – Dan McGlaun, veteran of twelve total solar eclipses
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I tested mine out yesterday. I had someone hold their phone right in front of my eyes with the flashlight on. I saw absolutely nothing until they turned their flashlight on. I then saw 2 dots. I'm getting excited for Monday! I can't wait!
  • landomando
    landomando Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I live in the path where it will be a total eclipse
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    East coast here and having serious concerns about storms and cloud cover. I was going to take the family to Charleston SC, but according to weather it's going to be scattered thunderstorms all week. Anyone know the CLOSEST city to us on the eclipse path that will have clear skies that day? Like, right at the edge of the cloud?

Also, some a$$hat in my area bought up ALL the glasses at Lowes (probably to make a profit selling them online) so we plan to buy some solar film for cameras and make our own.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    East coast here and having serious concerns about storms and cloud cover. I was going to take the family to Charleston SC, but according to weather it's going to be scattered thunderstorms all week. Anyone know the CLOSEST city to us on the eclipse path that will have clear skies that day? Like, right at the edge of the cloud?

Also, some a$$hat in my area bought up ALL the glasses at Lowes (probably to make a profit selling them online) so we plan to buy some solar film for cameras and make our own.

We had a department at work selling he glasses for $3 a piece. I saw them at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $1 a piece. So yeah, people are trying to profit off this event. Luckily, one of my coworkers bought a pack online and gave them to us. I have them hidden in my desk so no one walks by and tries to take them.

As for where to see the eclipse, cloud cover will be worse at the shore, according to a local meteorologist. I heard that on the news a few days ago. Our forecast is for partly cloudy skies, a stray shower or storm is possible. We're not in the total path but just having the ability to see part of it is amazing.
  • cee134
    Options
    Neil deGrasse Tyson: Don't film the solar eclipse, experience it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlllrY_2IVo
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I tested mine out yesterday. I had someone hold their phone right in front of my eyes with the flashlight on. I saw absolutely nothing until they turned their flashlight on. I then saw 2 dots. I'm getting excited for Monday! I can't wait!

I practiced with mine yesterday too. I think you said we have the same glasses. :DB)
  • cee134
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »

I practiced with mine yesterday too. I think you said we have the same glasses. :DB)

I did too, I could only see the sun light and nothing else.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    My 7th grader is super excited, and has asked all the teachers if they'll let the kids go outside and watch. No one will give her a definite answer, so I'm letting her skip school.
    Bad parent or cool parent move I'm not sure, but zero fvcks given. :sunglasses:
  • cee134
    Options
    My 7th grader is super excited, and has asked all the teachers if they'll let the kids go outside and watch. No one will give her a definite answer, so I'm letting her skip school.
    Bad parent or cool parent move I'm not sure, but zero fvcks given. :sunglasses:

Cool parent because.