Calling all C25K before and afters!

Options

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    im onmy w2 w1 was i am a bit scared! i was having a little issue last run. i passed by someman who was blowing grass after it was mowed and it made it hard for me to get a full breath, plus it was up hill, lol, BUT i am eager to give w2w1 a go SUNDAY! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm on week 7 day 3 and I LOVE it.

I'm finding the more I do it, the more I WANT to do it. I can remember around week 4 wishing it wasn't an off day lol

Once I finish, I'm going to keep going until I can run a 5k in 30 minutes, then I'm going to graduate to the bridge to 10k

My daughter is doing it to, which really helps me stay motivated.
  • mad8588
    mad8588 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started C25K to get in shape to do the KC warrior dash at the end of July. Completed C25K and went on to B210K. Just finished B210K this morning. C25K was great, B210K seemed to have a bug or two on the map if you run other gps programs at the same time. Started the program on 3/14/011 at 214 lbs. at the the end of B210K I'm bouncing between 174-176 lbs. Very happy to get those two programs as it did get me to my lowest weight in 13 years as well off my butt and moving.
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The C25K program was one of the best things I ever started on May 1 2011. I wish I could post pics but don't know how. You can look at the profile and see some though. I was so afraid to run because I knew I would have to walk so much that people may laugh. My first 2 weeks I did the treadmill because at least that way I wouldn't be passed by everyone walking. W3 I couldn't make it to gym so I ran outside for the first time. Just about died when I had to run like 3 min straight. I always stuck to the plan no matter how much it hurt. Suprisingly by about Wk6 you start feeling like a runner. I finished the program then started a Half Marathon Training program. Signed up for Rock n Roll Half Marathon in November. (sometimes I think I am crazy) I am now running 6 miles non-stop at about a 10:50/mile pace. Just completed first 5K event at 31:10 and had a great time doing it. If I can become a runner anyone can. Never thought I would make 5K and now I am doubleing that. Keep at it. Go slow. and have fun.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I didnt actually follow the program, I just kinda did it on my own. Started dropping weight in November, was at around 305. Started using an elliptical trainer in February. Broke that by April (ok, so apparently when they said it had a 250 lb weight limit, they were not kidding....) and started walking.

When I first started walking, I could only make it about 2 miles. There's a really nice walking trail by my office that's about 4 miles in length, so I downloaded cardiomonitor for my android and started walking a mile, then walking back. But that got old pretty quickly, so I decided to start adding some jogging in the beginning of May. When I first started I was doing good to make it a tenth of a mile before feeling like I was going to pass out, then I'd walk until I got my wind back...and run some more. Kept doing that and just kept jogging as much as I could, and walking when I couldnt. By mid June, I was jogging a full 5k (though 'jogging' for me is a relative term...I generally do 11-12 minute miles).

For the last few weeks I've just been running for an hour every night after work without really paying so much attention to how far I'm going. Generally around 4.5 to 6 miles, depending on the weather. I live in Alabama so it can get quite hot and humid, on the 97 degree, 110 degree heat index days I'm lucky to do 4.5 miles....on the 85 degree days I generally do 6.

And since November, I've dropped from 305 to 228 today....but the weight has been basically dripping off since I started jogging. So even if I didnt do the C25K program (or even the one hour runner program after), it's "basically" what I did/am doing...and it's the best thing I could have done to get healthy. I cant even describe how much better I feel now...
  • Bearface115
    Options
    I am already on my Week 3 day 3. up next week 4! i hope i am losing weight with this hasthere been anyone that has LOST weight doing this Specifically?
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I actually call myself a Jogging Junkie now that I've found the C25K. I used to make fun of runners, wondering why they would do that to themselves without a good reason----like a wolf is chasing them :)
    But I have fallen madly in love with the program and running. I'm currently on w6w2. All those trainers on TV you've heard saying "focus on your breathing"? It really works! I think about my breathing and focus on a spot on the horizon and my body just knows how to do the rest :) You can't help but grin from ear to ear when your done!

YES!! This is almost exactly what I was going to say!! C25K was an eye opening experience for me. I never "got" running before and couldn't figure out why people would do it. Now I'm one of "those" people out there sweating their butts off (literally) in this crazy hot weather. I'm addicted!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not a "before and after", I'm a "during". I'm starting week 7. Running my 1st 5k in August is going to be my 41st birthday present to myself!
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I will hopefully have some pics in about 2 weeks. I am on W8D3 tomorrow. I started running a week before C25k, and picked up on week 5 of the program. I have run 5 days a week, doubling up two of the runs each week. I love it! I highly recommend going to a running shoe store to get fitted for running shoes. I also make sure to stretch after a warmup walk before running and again afterwards. I try to eat a banana each day for the potassium that helps with leg cramps. I usually read Hebrew 12:1 before I run and pray for a great, safe run without pain. If pain comes, I pray the Lord takes it away, for HE is greater than any pain I may have, and He gets me through it. He hasn't let me down yet! Good "luck" with your journey!

I promised pics & stats, so here they are:

PostC25kPic1-1-1.jpg

Lost during program:

Weight: 3 lbs.
    R Thigh: .5"
    L Thigh: .5"
    HIps: .75"
    Waist: 2"
    Belly Button (that terrible post-baby pooch): 2"
    R Arm: .5"
    L Arm: .5"

Blessings! :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have a progress report at another website: http://c25k.cze.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1042

It chronicles my entire journey (although I"m about a week late in posting on it). Feel free to read it - it will help ANYONE feel like they can do it. :laugh:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It really is an amazing program. A few short weeks ago, I thought I'd die during the first week of the program. 30 seconds of running was tough. Yesterday I ran for a solid hour (4.75 miles, I'm slow) and didn't stop once. Honestly, I could have kept going, but I was out of time. I couldn't believe it!
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same speed. I completed the last of the first week yesterday and thought I'd be ready for week two but my calves really hurt last night and I didn't follow it exactly so I think I will repeat tonight.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3mph on the treadmill and jog at 4mph. is that ok to start?

Yes. You jog at a rate that is comfortable to you, and when you feel ready, you can increase the speed. I was going at 3mph/4.5mph, and got through week 3 fine, but once I got to week 4, that 4.5mph killed me, so I eased it down to 4mph, slow jog and was able to get through the entire workout without feeling dead. :)

Good luck, you'll do great!

Update, I finished day 2 of week 5 today, TWO 8 minute intervals, I couldn't believe it, I can jog for 8 minutes!! Tuesday, it's a 20 minute run. Love it, and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.. My interval is 3 and 4 mph, slow jog, but a jog nonetheless, with both feet off the ground between steps. :)
  • khgraves
    khgraves Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    All your stories are inspirational! My husband and I have just started C25k. We both plan to do this at our own pace and repeat days/weeks if needed. I look forward to posting our success story in a few months.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I'm about to start the C25K program...all your stories are amazing! I can't wait to have the same success :D
  • wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    a quick follow up to my post on page one. I did my first official 5k in under 26 minutes, and I'm now working up to a 10k. last run was 4.35 miles in 41 minutes. Once again, coming from a guy that originally was having a hard time with the 3 minute intervals. I really really recommend this program.
  • Nini_Soto_
    Nini_Soto_ Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump
  • Bearface115
    Options
    Yesterday i completed Week 4 Day 3! Im excited!!!!!!!!! i almost cried bc i did 5 mins straight the frist tme! Now i am on Week 5 Day 1... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^D
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I did it for two or three weeks then just upped it on my own, after a week of doing that I didn't need it anymore.

If you keep pushing yourself you can do anything, if you can run 5 then you can do 7 after a week pushing it then double it, whats the worst that can happen? you'll get tired and lose 14 mins of your life or you will become the runner you want to be

Every once in a while cover up the timer and just run as long as you can, you will be surprised how long you can run
  • jessik980
    jessik980 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!