Why am I gaining weight with reverse dieiting??

Options
13»

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    @livingcleanlivingclean I don't have any medical conditions when I went to the Dr I was referred to the weight loss clinic who put me on meds that made me ill and just said I have a broken metabolism and to cut carbs. I do weigh everything lol that's what I said tracked and weighed every item that why I was on the verge of an eating disorder. That 17kg took me two years to lose it was a very slow weight loss and apparently I should have shed more in two years.

@deannalfisher I'm going to be consistent and see what happens

You said you measured and used carbs off packages. That is not the same as weighing.
    Measuring cups are not accurate for solid food, and just using numbers off packages will likely add further discrepancies to your logging.

Weighing is best, but even then it must be remembered that the calorie counts provided by companies are estimates, and sometimes they are underestimates. You must rely on observation and judgment after keeping meticulous track of what you consume.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    I can't eat more than what I am anyways

Right, but I think their point was that if calorie counting is causing you mental distress, you might be better off figuring out a handful of meals that will keep you in a deficit, then switch to eating those but not tracking calories.

Exactly.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I need some help fitnesspal fam, I'm gaining weight with reverse dieting!

I don't know what you mean by "reverse dieting," but with IF you still have to eat only an amount that creates a deficit. I assume you're eating too much for your needs. You should measure and log everything you eat.

"Reverse dieting" is a big thing in the body building community... sort of bro science that you can slowly increase the calories you eat and get your body to burn more in response. So you might be at maintenance at 1,500 calories but want to eat more. Reverse dieting says you can increase calories very slowly (increase CI) and force/encourage/trick your body into increasing your CO so that you keep maintaining... so the goal is to in the end be at maintenance at >1,500 calories.

You have to be super anal on calories in since the increase in calories is so tiny. Like if you eat 1,500 a day at maintenance start eating 1,545 a day (3% increase) for several weeks, then 1,590 a day for several weeks, etc.

I'm not saying it works or doesn't work, that's just my understanding of it. Sounds like bro science to me but some people swear by it. I've never tried.

Thank you for the explanation.
  • Verdenal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    Quick comment, it's less likely a metabolism issue than a gut flora issue. While CICO is a law...

CICO is not a "law." It's a theory about energy transfer that increasingly is seen as overly simple. Still, it is worthwhile to log one's food and track macros.