Forks over knives? New here

Options
Hi I am using mfp to regulate my eating habits and trying to lose 30 pounds as well. I am vegan and following the forks over knives way of eating which is no oils or sugars or salt or processed food. So far this is working . I also do intermittent fasting and start eating at 1 and finish at 6.
Are there any FoK fans here or China study adherents? Also how do I share my diary?

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am confused. What have forks instead of knives to do with vegan eating and not eating oil/sugar/salt/processed food?

Processed food to me actually is the one more likely to be eaten without needing a knife. Otherwise I also cut vegetables. Broccoli just would not fit into my mouth (or make the dinner table a mess) without using a knife to eat it. Oil, sugar and salt all work with neither (you'd need a spoon?)
  • Atplantis
    Atplantis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Forks Over Knives is a documentary promoting a vegan lifestyle. It's one that helped push me from vegetarian to vegan a few months ago. That alone did not cause me to lose weight though as I still just eat all day long. Wasn't gaining but wasn't losing, so here's to a healthy well portioned human diet! :tongue:
  • MarieMckenji85
    MarieMckenji85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat following the forks over knives eating, we do use some oil and the plan says not to use any oils. I'm looking for some friends that are doing Vegan, FOK or any non meat lifestyles to add me for support. thanks :)
  • Jacsprat2014
    Jacsprat2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. Happy to support. Could you kindly look at my food entries for the past three days to check where my 300g cholestrol has come from? There is none in plant food!! I can't see how to search. Still finding out! Cheers
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The China study isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    It left out any data that didn't fit its very narrow view.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Hi. Happy to support. Could you kindly look at my food entries for the past three days to check where my 300g cholestrol has come from? There is none in plant food!! I can't see how to search. Still finding out! Cheers

Your diary is closed but you probably used an incorrect entry. There are many incorrect entries in the database.

Try to type usda before the food you are searching for. Tends to bring up more accurate one's.
  • Jacsprat2014
    Options
    Thanks how do I open my diary?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Click settings, click diary settings, then click public.
  • Jacsprat2014
    Options
    Just opened my diary if you'd kindly look! Am intrigued as I have looked at every possible item!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Forks over knives means food (forks) or correct nutrition over surgery (knives). Not salad fork against steak knife as you might expect !

If you watch Forks over knives film on Netflix and then What the Health documentary it is clear. They are not funny so not mockumentary. They have literally tons of clinical evidence that shows that correct (whole food plant based) nutrition can keep you healthy and ward off and reverse cancer diabetes arthritis autoimmune diseases.etc.and extend your life an average of 9 years.
    Also read The China Study's (listening currently on audible app)
    This means no oil sugars or salt (except in original plant form) and very little processed foods so Flora spread for example or vegan butter, cheeses etc are not recommended.
    This is contraversial because it attacks the dairy industry and the US and UK gmt prefer we don't know the truth about this so people are always trying to throw it into disrepute.
    Have a look for yourself and make your own mind up.

It's controversial because it is one of the most one sided twisted studies of all time.

There is nothing to take from a study that leaves out the data that shows against their views.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Forks over knives means food (forks) or correct nutrition over surgery (knives). Not salad fork against steak knife as you might expect !

If you watch Forks over knives film on Netflix and then What the Health documentary it is clear. They are not funny so not mockumentary. They have literally tons of clinical evidence that shows that correct (whole food plant based) nutrition can keep you healthy and ward off and reverse cancer diabetes arthritis autoimmune diseases.etc.and extend your life an average of 9 years.
    Also read The China Study's (listening currently on audible app)
    This means no oil sugars or salt (except in original plant form) and very little processed foods so Flora spread for example or vegan butter, cheeses etc are not recommended.
    This is contraversial because it attacks the dairy industry and the US and UK gmt prefer we don't know the truth about this so people are always trying to throw it into disrepute.
    Have a look for yourself and make your own mind up.

A mockumentary is not supposed to be funny. That would be a comedy.
    Most of the health "documentary" programs are literally designed to shock viewers. They are cherry picking information and studies to promote whatever one sided view they are trying to present.

If you are open to considering that everything you're presented isn't the truth, you may realise how much they misinform. Question everything, even what you believe to be right.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    The China study isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    It left out any data that didn't fit its very narrow view.

Where do you get your facts from? I just listened to it all on Audible. I don't see how anyone can possibly refute Campbell's evidence. He also lists lots of doctors who had their academic funding stopped because big dairy farmers and businesses like McDonald's did not want this work promoting. You have to read it all for yourself and decide. You can't cite what other people have said about it. Not sure if you are by the way but it's easy to do.

You didn't. You listened to a podcast put together by a father and son with an agenda. They cherry picked small bits of a study. They cherry picked the bits of the study that fitted their personal agenda that made them money.

The title of their book makes me laugh. "The most comprehensive study"

The study does not even find what they claim it found, it had over 8000 correlations, no proof of anything. It wasn't even a peer reviewed paper.

There are however several peer reviewed studies debunking it.

Read the actual study not a podcast put together by people peddling books.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

I can't spot which entry it is but my best guess would be that some one listed the phytosterols as cholesterol.

I wouldn't worry, cholesterol in food doesn't raise blood serum cholesterol levels in most people, despite what Dr Campbell says :D
  • vganggirl
    vganggirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, I try to stay away from refined sugar, only use coconut oil. I don't follow any specific plan though, just go with how my body is feeling.
  • Jacsprat2014
    Options
    Where can I find the actual China Study if not a book by that name?
  • Jacsprat2014
    Options
    Frim Wikipedia. Campbell was one of the directors.
    The book is loosely based on the China–Cornell–Oxford Project, a 20-year study—described by The New York Times as "the Grand Prix of epidemiology"—conducted by the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Cornell University, and the University of Oxford. T. Colin Campbell was one of the study's directors.[8] It looked at mortality rates from cancer and other chronic diseases from 1973–75 in 65 counties in China; the data was correlated with 1983–84 dietary surveys and blood work from 100 people in each county.