Can't control my eating, stay on a diet, or workout

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Maybe working with a trainer would help you focus on what you need to do. It helped me develop new habits. But you have to want it and commit to it. No one can do that for you.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Overeaters Anonymous. 12 step for eating as a compulsive behavior
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I feel the same when my depression rears its ugly head.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Thank you all so so much for all your many responses!!
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Forget working out for now, just focus on one thing at a time, eating less, look up how many calories you should be eating and how much is an amount you need to be eating to lose weight, eat clean and you'll be alot fuller then eating junk it's empty calories, cut out all the dressings mayo cheese, buy 50 calorie bread slices instead of 200 cals, eat veggies or fruit with every meal have more veggies then anything, meal prep so that you have healthy food ready to eat and don't resort to eating crap because it's quick and easy, you can do this. I never thought I'd be where I was today and I was 220. If I could do it you can do it.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Be that friend who talks all about their weight loss, eating regime, exercise, and other lifestyle changes on Facebook. That's accountability too. If you go back on your word to get healthy, everyone on your page will know that you chose to be unhealthy instead of keeping your promises. If you like to talk about it, then use your Facebook page to let everyone's judgements keep you on track.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Maybe you think things are not that bad, that there's still time,that you're still ok, that when you make your decision there wont be nothing stopping you. But the more you wait,the harder it gets. The more you have to lose,and more issues may arise. Maybe you won't ever get that lightbulb moment, maybe it's up to you to turn on the switch. Maybe you're ok with how things are. Maybe you're not. Maybe ,just maybe there is soooo much more waiting for you ,once you start. Just start. Eat less of what you love,until you can eat more of what's good for you. Get a partner in crime, I mean "fitness ;)",and start recording your journey. I stay accountable on instagram too, I take pics of my meals, post a pic after my workout ,you know write the usual inspirational message, and that gives me lots to look forward to,so I can look back on my journey one day. So many women on there inspire me,I can't wait to maybe be an inspiration to someone too!! Just find what will motivate you. I prayed for a few months for God to help me start,especially because I used to want to sleep all day,and I didn't want to let my 4 yr old down when he started school ,and I would be to lazy and tired to wake up to get him dressed or be late picking him up. I couldn't do that to him. So now I have more energy, I can stay awake and just get my life for the good of my lil family. Girl,go on and get your life.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I've found that I over-eat way too much if I try to eat 3 or more meals a day. Or eating low calorie meals doesn't fill me up too much, so I'm constantly grazing or snacking. Intermittent fasting has helped tremendously, giving myself a smaller window to eat. I eat alot at once and I'm full for the whole day. So I fast after that until my next eating time. I can eat anything I want, staying at or under my calories. No restrictions on food, and that's what works for me.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited August 2017
    The first step you need to take is to ditch the defeatist attitude of the past and decide you want to do something about it. Now. Not tomorrow. Not when you get around to it. Not on Monday. Now. If it is truly a priority, it needs to be treated as such.

Planning and strategy is secondary to commitment. None of us here has done anything that literally any other Human on the planet could also do with the proper mindset. The truly extraordinary thing about MFP is not the weight loss itself. Figuring out how to maintain a calorie deficit a 3rd grader could easily accomplish. What is extraordinary is that it often showcases monumental acts of determination and the power of the human will. May you find yours :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Consider working with a therapist that can help you both change your behavior and how you think about it.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Don't wait around for motivation. Just do it.

Motivation isn't a blinding flash of light that solves everything. Motivation doesn't last.

You need habits.

Habits start with one thing.

Do one thing.

Then do another.

Keep doing things. Keep doing them some more.

Don't wait around for motivation. Just f****** do it.

And read the goddam stickies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

*stands up and slow claps*
    This this this
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    The Diet Trap Solution by Dr. Judith Beck and Deborah Beck Busis

The Beck Diet Solution by Dr. Judith Beck

Either (or both) of these books will help you learn to recognize distorted thinking and how to change your thinking, which is the key to being able to be permanently in control of your behavior. They do not offer a dieting regimen, but are meant to be used with any healthy eating plan.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    When you decide you are going to do it start with small goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.
    In your mind, it's not that important enough for you to make the step. Sorry if it's blunt, but that's the truth. A person who is COMMITTED to doing something, will do it till it's done. Ask any successful person how many times they were on the brink of quitting, but didn't because they really were COMMITTED to reaching their goal.
    Till YOU make the decision to make it a priority come hell or high water, it really doesn't matter what others say to cheer you on, encourage you, inspire you, etc. because without COMMITMENT to start, it's just words.
    Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.

I agree with the suggestion to start with something like walking, rather than jumping right in to "working out." Find an activity you enjoy, and do more of it. If you let us know your child's age we can suggest lots of age-appropriate activities for the two of you.

When I eat "horribly and a lot" it's because I'm choosing foods that don't satiate me. I can easily put away 1,000 calories of pizza, or feel quite satisfied with 400 calories of chicken, potato, broccoli, and butter. Now, when I do rarely have pizza, I make sure to also have a large salad with it, so I eat less of the pizza.

First I learned what foods filled me up, then when I prelogged meals I was able to make good choices. I no longer have bread and butter with pasta meals - it's just not worth the calories to me. I still have ice cream occasionally, but I know it doesn't satiate me at all - for me, ice cream is completely empty calories that I have to budget for ahead of time.

In my food diary, I exchanged Sodium and Sugar for Fiber and Iron (I'm anemic). Hitting my fiber goal each day helps me get full on less calories.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Honestly? I'd suggest you go to a therapist. It's the main thing that helped me finally start to lose weight. Understanding why I did the things I did, how the way I was raised (my parents were lovely, no blame) around food and my weird thinking about food. All of that really helped me change my outlook.
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    You might want to look at bulk eating. Focus on high fiber low car low fat foods. Want a Hamburger? No problem eat a pound of steamed broccoli with it. Having steak, a pound of steamed cauliflower. Want some nachos, a pound of steamed cabbage. If you can eat your favorite foods with all that bulk you will be stuffed. Just make sure you eat the veg first or as you eat your main dish.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    I love reading all of this!!! Keep it coming
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Choices. One at a time. One mouthful at a time. I say this as someone who spent 2 years losing 30 pounds, then spent another year putting 20 of it back on, and started over again a week ago. Every choice I made while losing made me lose, and every choice I made while gaining made me gain. One. Mouthful. At. A. Time.