Alcohol Free August 2017

Options

Replies

• PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We are halfway through the month! Keep up the good work and keep making good choices everyone!
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Late to the party, but I've not had a drop of any type of alcohol through August so far. Tempted, but not fallen. You can do this!

The other benefit is it will avoid the depression effects of alcohol, making you happier of mind in the long run!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I have been alcohol free since March and it has helped my weight loss so much! Social situations are still tricky, but I find that as long as you have a "drink" (I like diet tonic water on ice with a twist of lime) in your hand, noone even realizes you are not drinking. They notice even less as they get more intoxicated. I have stayed away from the late night snacking that always seemed to go with that glass (or two) of wine each night and I am sleeping better, my hair and skin look better, my digestive system is healthier (less heartburn and bloating) and my waistline definitely looks better.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hi- only just see this discussion. Would love to join you all. Last drink was a beer on Saturday night so I'm now on day 4. Would love to stay off drink for at least the rest of month as I've been getting into bad habit of one/two drinks every night. Total waste of calories and nibbles too.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    For those who are interested, there is a documentary on Netflix called The Truth About Alcohol. I just turned it on.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For those who are interested, there is a documentary on Netflix called The Truth About Alcohol. I just turned it on.

I don't have Neflix - curious about the point of view.

• PurpleLavender77
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »

I don't have Neflix - curious about the point of view.

It was actually a documentary for Britain I believe, but it gave a lot of information you probably already know. How much a unit is, how alcohol effects the liver and body, etc.

Here's the description from Netflix.

Emergency room doctor Javid Abdelmoneim endeavors to learn the truth about alcohol, both its benefits and risks, by exploring the science of drinking.

58 Minutes

Here's an article about the documentary:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/may/27/the-truth-about-alcohol-review-its-still-not-especially-good-for-you-shockingly

Looks like you can watch it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNq-JcVlYD4
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    Day 18 of August! Stay strong this weekend people. We are in the final stretch!
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    7 weeks without a drink.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    7 weeks without a drink.

That's awesome!!!
  • ilona212
    ilona212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    aaaaxx wrote: »
    msp612 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations on what to drink if not alcohol at a party? We are very social and if I don't have a glass in my hand everyone thinks there is something wrong. I am also trying to do no alcohol in August. Thinking seltzer water or Kombucha to "mimic" a cocktail.

My sister has a trick. She orders white wine and separate sparkling water. Secretly orders 2 glasses and fills one . The wine one she leaves on a table. When shots are ordered she always accepts and silly as it sounds , when people down their shots she throws hers over her shoulder. I have never tried but she has super fast reflexes and no one ever notices ...lol... as you can imagine she is amazing at networking on a drinks work night .....once people have 1 or 2 in them they stop noticing

OMG that is brilliant!!! My biggest awkwardness is social situations and how to fly under the radar.
  • FredKing1
    Options
    Day 21 - looking back on what I've given up. Thinking about looking forward - at the end of the month - then what? I'd like to be someone who doesn't drink, but for now I'm day by day. The weight is coming off, slower than I'd like and harder than it went on.
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was very tempted tonight but stuck to my sparkling water. Being sober also lessened my anxiety I normally have after hanging out with new people, which I did tonight.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was tempted this weekend to have some wine. After 30 min the craving passed and I got home from the grocery store pretty pleased that I'd narrowly avoided succumbing to the temptation.
  • FredKing1
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I was tempted this weekend to have some wine. After 30 min the craving passed and I got home from the grocery store pretty pleased that I'd narrowly avoided succumbing to the temptation.
    Years ago, carry-out alcohol was sold in only liquor stores. Today, it seems too convenient, like the candy in the check-out.

• cmorris30316
    cmorris30316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We are 1/3 of the way through the month as of today. How is everyone doing?

I'm hanging in there. Haven't cheated at all and lost a few pounds. I do feel like my face is less puffy and I can get up Easier in the morning ! I'm going away this weekend but I'm not gonna cheat ! I'm gonna make it til the end of the month!
  • Thinsue02
    Thinsue02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to join this group