Why the WOOs

13»

Replies

• 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    I really am truly perplexed, How is that worth a WOO?

Since we have conclusively determined, beyond a shadow if a doubt, the scientific fact that the Woo button is purposefully ambiguous...

You are free to interpret the Woo feedback as you wish.

All joking aside, unless people specifically tell you otherwise, I suggest you take them as "woo-hoo!"s. You are making great progress weight-wise. The meal plan you are on may be the stepping stone you need to get on a path toward healthy living. A path you may not have gone down otherwise. Hopefully the eventual switch to "regular" food will be a breeze for you.

We all have different weight loss journeys and various ways to get and stay motivated. Lifestyle changes are difficult enough. We don't need other people's negativity compounding our own. Given the choice, interpreting feedback in the most positive light will likely serve you best.

Wishing you a happy, healthy future!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    kokonani wrote: »
    My comments get "woo" all the time. I'm betting it's the negative "woo"

I completely disagree.

1) There is a smiley face above the "woo" button. Thus indicating positivity.

2) The buttons appear to be in (somewhat) increasingly positive order:
    Like, then Awesome, then Woo (with smiley face)

3) The MFP forums are intended to be supportive, not bashing in any way. So I am sure the button creators did not intentionally place a quick - reply key for "you're full of crap."

Since "woo" has both positive and negative connotations, I agree that the button should instead read "woo-hoo" or be deleted altogether.

I am grateful the OP brought this issue to my attention as I give "woo"-hoo's out daily. Armed with this new information I shall immediately cease and desist!!

Some of this has been addressed already, but I wanted to touch on the look of the woo emoji.

The forums come with several predetermined reactions, but MFP has the ability to override these to change the word descriptor. I don't think they can change the emoji. As far as I can tell, they uses "lol" and changed it to "woo," which is why the emoji looks the way it does.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2017
    Here is the officially sanctioned meaning of the Woo button:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

So yes, it is completely ambiguous and therefore entirely meaningless.

Life's too short to stress out about something so insignificant. :)

You are right! I wasnt stressed as much as confused, but thank you for the reminder to relaxand enjoy the victories of life.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    The option to "Woo" posts is pointless (I guess they don't have the courage to add an "unlike" -- that would be too mean).

I'm not even sure what it's supposed to mean. Am I cheering you on when I give you a "Woo" (i.e. "woohoo!"), or am I claiming that you are presenting unsubstantiated information (a.k.a "woo")?

The tooltip when I mouseover the "Woo" isn't any help, either (it simply repeats the enigmatic "Woo").
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Here is the officially sanctioned meaning of the Woo button:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

So yes, it is completely ambiguous and therefore entirely meaningless.

Life's too short to stress out about something so insignificant. :)

...and yet...
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Being French I thought the woo was used sarcastically!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I got a woo for finding a maggot in a muffin and *sarcastically* -we need a sarcasm button- suggesting I use that vision to trick myself out of eating. "Wooo that was gross" or "wooo that won't work"? Who cares. The woo button is ambiguous. But we need that sarcasm button.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Sometimes I sarcastically click 'insightful' or 'inspiring' when really I think the person is full of crap. Not that it amuses anyone but me, but my point is that you can't really tell what an anonymous vote for one of these reaction buttons really means.