Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Amusement park in the south discriminating obese? How can they be more fair?

Replies

• justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I imagine that some rides would not work for small people if they were designed for the obese. People would be falling out.

Do any parks have a big and tall section where a few seats are designed to fit larger people? I wonder if that would work?

There used to be a theme park in South Carolina where at least one of the coasters had a row with larger harnesses. It used to be the hard rock theme park, then it was something else for a season, then it closed, I believe.

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Ride restrictions are based on test data via their risk management process. This system is designed to ensure maximum safety standards are followed and to minimize the chance of injury.

Allowing people to ride that do not fit the minimum criteria would result in increased injuries and legal action.

Crying discrimination over this is ad absurdum.

+1
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Solution = losing weight

I am a HUGE Disney fan, I can fit on all their rides, but there have been times where it has been uncomfortable (especially when riding with my husband who is broad shouldered). From what I understand the new Flight of Passage ride at Animal Kingdom has a seat at the entrance (with a cast member to assist) to help you decide whether you should ride or not due to size restrictions.

The seat on this particular ride can be an issue for people that are overweight OR people who are taller than average. So, it is not always just about the weight. Height is a huge factor in the safety of most rides I have been on. However, I also think Disney is the most friendly with their ride designs for people from all walks of life (children, obese, height, disability, etc.).

So, does that mean that a person should also receive a discount for height (too tall or too short)?

I guess in my mind, I would rather theme parks err on the side of caution and safety. If that means a particular ride or attraction is off limits to me, then it is my choice whether I want to give my money to the company. Also, weight is a fairly controllable factor for most people, so I don't really consider that to be a disability unless there is an underlying medical condition that causes obesity.

Also, FWIW, when I was growing up I lived close to Kings Island in Mason, OH. We got season passes every year. In all those years my mom only rode the train, slow moving rides and watched shows. She was not a big "thrill" rides person. Yet, she always paid full price and only enjoyed about 20% of what the park offered.

I think once you start an "a la carte" approach to theme parks, it creates a slippery slope. How do you monitor a person's admittance fee to what they actually do in the park? Parks would have to add extra staff just to check people's park ticket at the entrance to each attraction and I am sure most of the companies are not looking to add to their direct labor costs.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Obesity in the US can be a disability. You can collect benefits and not work if there are related medical conditions such as: heart disease, joint disorders, diabetes, etc. http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/obesity-and-social-security-disability