Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Amusement park in the south discriminating obese? How can they be more fair?

Options

Replies

• Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I worked at cedar point in 2002 and 2003 (I worked at the blacksmith shop, hardly got any business. I don't think it's open anymore) we had discounted tickets for people who were not going on the big rides or were in wheelchairs (which most super obese people are) at that point I was able to ride every ride, but a few years ago when I went and weighed 220, I found that they have shortened the length on most of the lap belts. It didn't really matter though, my son my mom and I just rode the iron Dragon together over and over again and the water rides multiple times and walked around the park all day. It was a great day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I worked at cedar point in 2002 and 2003 (I worked at the blacksmith shop, hardly got any business. I don't think it's open anymore) we had discounted tickets for people who were not going on the big rides or were in wheelchairs (which most super obese people are) at that point I was able to ride every ride, but a few years ago when I went and weighed 220, I found that they have shortened the length on most of the lap belts. It didn't really matter though, my son my mom and I just rode the iron Dragon together over and over again and the water rides multiple times and walked around the park all day. It was a great day.

not all obese are in wheelchairs so obese people are not discounted...people in wheelchairs are.

and what do you mean they shortened the lap belt length? seems a bit odd.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I imagine that some rides would not work for small people if they were designed for the obese. People would be falling out.

Do any parks have a big and tall section where a few seats are designed to fit larger people? I wonder if that would work?

There used to be a theme park in South Carolina where at least one of the coasters had a row with larger harnesses. It used to be the hard rock theme park, then it was something else for a season, then it closed, I believe.

So some have done it then. It makes sense for North America. I know I already feel squished in some rides and I'm a fine weight for my size. Where I live, probably a third of people are bigger than me, or have bigger backsides anyways.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I imagine that some rides would not work for small people if they were designed for the obese. People would be falling out.

Do any parks have a big and tall section where a few seats are designed to fit larger people? I wonder if that would work?

There used to be a theme park in South Carolina where at least one of the coasters had a row with larger harnesses. It used to be the hard rock theme park, then it was something else for a season, then it closed, I believe.

So some have done it then. It makes sense for North America. I know I already feel squished in some rides and I'm a fine weight for my size. Where I live, probably a third of people are bigger than me, or have bigger backsides anyways.

I found that when I was fat, the most uncomfortable rides for me, were the older wooden track coasters. Then I thought about it: those were designed and built in the 60s and 70s, when the population was notably less wide.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    How about a pro-rated price for everyone? Each person could be run through a series of screens on their way into the park, checking for height, weight, and age, as well as other medical conditions such as epilepsy, pregnancy, heart disease, orthopedic injuries, etc. Then the price could be based on the percentage of attractions that the person could potentially visit. So small children would only pay for the attractions in the kiddie land, carousel, etc. plus all the shows. Obese people wouldn't pay for roller coasters or kiddie rides. (Unless they are obese kids).
    Those who get motion sickness can't really ride the roller coasters either, or any other "motion" rides, so they shouldn't have to pay for those.

Sound like a good idea?

Sounds like an 8 hour wait just to get in while waiting to see my friend puke because I know she gets severe motion sickness. Would make the TSA look efficient.

Exactly. I took my kids to Six Flags a few weeks ago and we had to wait quite a while to get through security and then get our ticket scanned.