Heavy lifting while half marathon training - foolish?

Options
So I've been doing really well with my lifting lately and getting pretty strong, I think. This weeks lifts have been 8 reps 80kg squats & 92.5kg deadlifts.
I've just been persuaded to sign up for a half marathon with a friend (for disclosure I've ran half and full marathons before but not those distanced for the last 3 years).
Can I realistically continue with progressive overload in my strength training while I increase my running mileage or will I have to put it on the backburner until after the race?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. People do it all the time. Rest becomes more important, nutrition becomes more important, and scheduling. I assume you are just looking to finish & not set a blazing speed?
  • Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not a particularly fast runner so it's more for fun. I do run about 20-25 miles a week at the moment so I'm not starting from scratch but will obviously need to increase my mileage pretty significantly
  • rybo
    Options
    Oh if you are already running that much currently you'll be fine! You could probably finish a half tomorrow with that mileage. How high do you plan to top out your mileage at?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can give it a try, and if its not working you can ease up on one or the other. I have tried to heavy lift and run, and my body let me know that i can't both, it takes too much of a toll on me. And It depends on how hard you are pushing yourself, i'd say training for a half marathon is going to be exhausting, me personally i'd have to give up lifting during that training time. Also heavy lifting trains your muscles differently than running, so you might not be able to get to your best possible ability unless you dedicate your training to one thing or another. Its kinda like the saying a jack or all trades, master of none. But give it a try, your body will let you know.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i tend to lift early on in the season - as significant races approach, then I dial back to make sure that I'm well rested - but you should be ok
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was/am struggling with this. When I started Half training in the Spring, I was in the middle of the Advanced StrongCurves program, with the hopes to get it in only 2xweek. I was able to for the first few weeks, but I had to back off to only once a week, IF I felt good enough, which usually I didn't. Now that I am currently training again for another Half, I still hope to lift once or twice a week, but all the cardio just really takes it out of me and dread the thought of progressing with my weights.
    OP, if you feel good with your lifts and runs, then go for it - especially if your race is "just for fun" and you're not trying to PR or anything. Try to decide if your main goal is to keep your strength, or complete the race in x-amount of time.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've done it, but I cut back on lifting if I'm training for an event. Right now I lift three times per week and run three times per week for 18-24 miles. But when I'm training for an event I'll drop lifting to two days per week (sometimes one day if I'm feeling extra tired), and increase my running days to four. Lifting has made me a better runner so I wouldn't give it up.
  • Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
    I'll try to continue as I have and just listen to my body :)

rybo - to answer your question I currently run home from work - have been working up to a 5 mile route but the shortest route I can do is just over 3 miles so I was planning to do the short route mon-fri & add in a Saturday longer run, increasing the distance gradually each week, depending how the previous week went
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    there are different types of muscel faser!

cause of heavy lifting, you sure have fast twitch/FT faser muscels.

for running you need slow twitch/ST faser muscels!

as you run for fun, you should continue your lifting. changing muscel type take up to 3 months or more
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy during my half marathon training as well. I had to stop doing legs though because it negatively effected my runs. Just be sure that your nutrition is on point!

Completed mine in 1 hour 52min doing both heavy lifting and running.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not fast but I train powerlifting 4x per week and still run 3x per week. a month ago I got asked to run the half marathon portion of a local adventure race. I did it on 3 weeks of training. It was my second half marathon and a PR in an uphill direction that I was told was much harder than my first half.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    alright I lied I did modify my lifting program but only on the week of the race I was running 5/3/1 on the 1rep top set of the cycle and I combined them into 2 workouts I did squat and deadlift on Monday and bench and overhead press on Tuesday. I ran a short 4 mile run at a decent pace on wednesday followed by Thursday and Friday as rest days. Saturday when my race came My legs were very fresh but used to that fatigued state that came with training so much on a normal basis.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience (caveat - I'm a lot older than you and, accordingly, take longer to recover). I was following the SL 5x5 program while training for a half-marathon and found that as my weekly running volume was increasing I simply didn't have sufficient recovery time with squatting 3 x weekly added into the equation.

My solution was to only squat heavy once weekly and to do either goblet or sumo squats the other times (being an old geezer my hips appreciated the sumo squats) but it really comes down to a matter of trial and error. Your legs will let you know, in no uncertain terms, if you need to dial it back a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    Yes you can. People do it all the time. Rest becomes more important, nutrition becomes more important, and scheduling. I assume you are just looking to finish & not set a blazing speed?

No,
    You are going to find it really hard to get in the running mileage you need if you are trying to lift heavy three -- even just two -- times per week. You won't have enough time for recovery.
    You can try it for a couple of weeks if you want. I think you'll see. Those runs the day after you lift will be really hard, really slow, and really miserable. And, after a couple of weeks, you will stop progressing in one activity or the other. Maybe both.
    PS See the other comments above. Almost every one says: 'Yeah, I've done it. But I cut way back on my lifting' or 'Sure, but I stopped doing legs while I was training for my race.'

given that OP is already doing both, i would tend to disagree with 'stopping progressing' within a couple of weeks.

yes, when her long run gets to 9 miles plus, she might want to reduce the lifting slightly, but that's to be expected and there's nothing wrong with someones training priorities changing...
  • erincolleen1
    erincolleen1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently lifting and training for a half marathon and have done so successfully in the past. In fact, I find that lifting and running complement one another quite well, though when it comes to improving I do need to prioritise my goals. When I wanted to get a half marathon PB, I continued to lift so that I could maintain strength, but didn't make any progress on the lifts so I could focus on running (and recovery!).

Since you're already a runner and are planning on running the half for fun, I think you'll be fine combining both. There are some half marathon training programmes out there designed for people who lift (Jill Coleman's comes to mind), so might be worth checking out if you've not already got a programme.

Good luck with the race!
  • rybo
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Oh, boy.
    We have been through this before.

Please look up Pete Stables. He recommends running only twice a week for people who are lifting heavy -- and one of those runs he says should be only a 30 minute run.
    That kind of training might prepare you for run-walking a half marathon.

But squats, deadlifts, and bench press? No. It takes too much out of you, and your legs are heavy and slow when you try to run the next day, or later that day.

You do realize Pete Stables is a powerlifter and ultramarathon trail runner. Looking him up should show that both can be done, if done smartly.
    She (the OP) is already handling more than enough volume of running to complete a half without resorting to a walk/run while still lifting. A few tweaks and she'll have 0 issues moving forward.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    just throwing it out there...you also...don't have to run the whole thing. They're not going to pull you off the course if you take a walking break. ;)