Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Here's an analysis of what is bought with SNAP: https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/ops/SNAPFoodsTypicallyPurchased.pdf

How do gov't provided food subsidies (or more general welfare programs for the poor if it's encompassed within) work in Australia, Christine? (or others)

That link doesn't seem to work for me. What's the main idea?

It's a detailed report/analysis, so hard to summarize, but basically SNAP and non SNAP households have similar buying patterns.

This is what I thought... But let's restrict people already going through so much.

I dont think telling people they can't use food stamps on soda et al is going to cause anyone hardship. Hopefully they would spend the money they save on soda on something with a little more nutritional substance.

I asked upthread where does it end then?

Here it is stated:

NO:

Chips
    Chocolate
    Soda
    Biscuits (cookies)
    Cigarettes

There's probably a few more I've forgotten about. It's a simple and clear instruction.

Is this what you are talking about? https://www.dss.gov.au/families-and-children/programmes-services/welfare-conditionality/cashless-debit-card-overview

Or something else? I'm trying to understand how it works, and don't see those restrictions (just some others).

What Christine is talking about is the independent, charity based groups who will give people a leg up if they need, and provide a voucher/cheque for a local store and impose restrictions on what it can be used to buy. It's emergency assistance, not regular, so I can understand the restrictions, and its nature as emergency assistance makes it completely different to what's being discussed here. You can't go back week after week for it.
    It's also nothing to do with the government assistance available. It's church groups, by and large.

I remember having to go to one once when I was 17 and broke and a friend asked me to babysit her 1 year old for the afternoon and didn't come back for 4 days. Didn't have any money for nappies or baby food.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. We have similar things here too, of course, like food banks and pantries and so on.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Gov't money, gov't rules.