Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Gov't money, gov't rules.

Gov't money taken by force from it's citizens. If anyone should decide how recipients use their stamps its the voters.

Same with corporate welfare... we vote for the representatives and a lot of people don't even do that. But they complain.

I have 0 sympathy for people who don't vote on issues then cry about them later on.

Agreed.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    deleted
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    We have food banks here, same thing, largely run by church groups and charities. Again you can't go every week and you have to be referred by another agency like a social worker etc. Even they try to throw in a "treat" like a packet of biscuits or some chocolate.

Same here.
    A good majority on SNAP are elderly, disabled and children. Not these extreme cases that people seem to pull out their *kitten* whenever this debate comes up. They don't deserve treats or snacks?

They deserve and need their resources to be used for nutrient dense foods.

Only?

Need to prioritize. The government should provide assistance to ensure good nutrition so yes.

And if they already are providing good nutrition and have left over?

Then they are probably getting too much assistance.

Or they budget their assistance well.

Good for them. In that case they don't need as much.

To be honest, I would like to see restrictions on SNAP to allow payments for nutrient dense foods only. Along with that, I would be willing to increase the amount of payments.

So a grass fed ribeye would be ok?

Nope (although I did watch a guy in front of me buy one and a can of Pringles with a SNAP card and pulled out cash for a $11.99 6 pack of beer and 2 packs of cigs).

I would propose something along the lines of foods allowed in the WIC program. Nutritious, but not premium products.

So the rules change from $200 a month on any food, to $200 a month on nutritious food defined by you. Where does this affect your life?

In. Before this turns into a health insurance debate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As @Alatariel75 Pointed out, what I'm talking about here is emergency assistance, not a regular week after week handout. If someone is that hardup that they have no food for themselves or their children, i still 100% stand by my opinion that the limited funds they do receive should not be spent on frivolous "junk food" items.

The food pantries will probably throw in a pack of biscuits or chips, but it will be after the more nutritious stuff is given, it wont be the first option, but the last.. which i think is fair enough.

ETA: I've been on both sides of the fence poor and comfortable. When i did swallow my pride and ask for assistance, the absolute last thing i was going spend that precious money on was nutritionally void/not satisfying foods/drinks!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    Medicaid, the program for the poor in the United States, pays for 3 out of every 5 people in a nursing home. What about their food? Take away the chocolate cake and potato chips for grannies on Medicaid?

Nursing homes should be providing their residents proper nutrition before any of that. Given they reach the minimum at least, then the surplus money could be used. Otherwise, no.

I believe everybody in a nursing home gets the same food -- food is not divided up by who pays the bill (government assistance pays for 3 out of 5 Americans in a nursing home, then long term care insurance and personal savings).

I had asked if since Medicaid, the program for the poor, pays for 3 of every 5 Americans in a nursing home, if people here would restrict treats like cake and chips for the poor.